Search Unity

[PAID] WebGL job: provide a pop-up script editor for my Unity game

Discussion in 'Commercial: Job Offering' started by JoeStrout, Jul 10, 2021.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Summary: This is an offer for a short-term contract job. I need someone good with WebGL-JavaScript integration to make a pop-up code editor for my WebGL game, Robo Reindeer Rumble.

Background: I have a simple programming game (https://miniscript.org/RoboReindeer) in which you write MiniScript code to control robotic reindeer in arena combat. Everything works fine as a desktop app, but as a web app, the clipboard is not shared with the host OS. This makes it impossible to paste code in that you have written in a text editor or received from someone else; nor can you copy code you have written in the game to save it for later, send it to someone else, etc.

If you try the game, you'll see that the in-game code editor pops up when you click the "Edit" button. It is a modal interaction; you pop open the editor, edit your code, then close it to continue the game.

Job Scope: I need someone to replace that in-game code editor with a similar-looking component made of HTML and JavaScript, i.e., a browser component. The Unity code should cause this to appear when the user clicks the "Edit" button, and pre-load it with the contents of the corresponding script. It should overlay the Unity game frame, looking as much like the current editor as possible. At this point the user is editing in the browser, not in Unity code at all. When the user clicks the close button, the edited code should be sent back to the Unity app.

If possible, I'd like to also support the "Check Syntax" button. This would just need to send the current source code to the Unity app, and display whatever text (error or success message) the Unity app sends back.

So functionally it should look and feel very similar to what we already have, but since it is a standard browser control, it will support normal system-level copy/paste (as well as other benefits like screen reading).

I would like the result to be as simple and maintainable by me as possible — so, JavaScript and Unity changes only (no dragging in a Go compiler that invokes a Rust library in order to do some fancy AJAX callbacks to your Python framework or whatever).

Related: There is a MiniScript "Try-It!" page that lets users edit code on the left (using the Ace editor), and then sends this code to the server to be executed, showing the results on the right. That editor works well and has already been configured for MiniScript syntax and keywords. I would like to use this same editor, or something darn similar, in this project. I will of course provide the source code for our Ace configuration, so hopefully you can just drop that in.

Payment: MiniScript is an open-source project and I'm not making any significant money on it... but you probably need to eat, and I value your work. PM me with your pay requirements for this task. I hope I've defined the job clearly enough that you can give me a confident quote. But if anything seems unclear, please ask!

EDIT: Still hoping somebody can help with this. So far all I've gotten is a bunch of those fictional @cisinlabs.com characters sending stock responses. To be clear, I am expecting to pay someone (a real person with experience in WebGL, not some offshore code farm) for their help.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021