Search Unity

[PAID] I want to be a Game Tester

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unity-Trek, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

I will be a game tester for $16-$100/hour depending on if your an indie or a company(like Nintendo), or
    Just how mutch you want me to do. Reply below for details, I'm ready all the time.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

Is this real or a troll post?

Because it sounds to good to be true. I've only but heard of getting paid to test things, I've never actually seen one before! lol.

I'd so do it haha.

3. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

err... "you can pay me for beta access to my game" lols

ill do it for $6/hr - $10/hr , ready all the time if you cant afford that we can talk ^^

ehmm .. i think you have the wrong forum category?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

First up, wrong section. ;)

Next, if you want to be paid for something then giving an indication of prior experience is a good idea. Moreso if you're wanting to be paid for something that's usually done for free or, these days, done by paying participants. Why are you worth up to $100 an hour when people line up for free to check out my games?

So, what major titles have you been involved in testing? And can you describe your role in testing them? What issue tracking systems or QA systems are you familiar with?

Testing isn't the easy, fun, un-skilled job it might initially sound like. Good testers are hard to come by.

landon912, HemiMG, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Dude, wrong forum. This should be in the commercial section.

Its also worth putting a link to your profile and CV. What games have you tested? What type of report can I expect? Is it strictly QC, or do you provide full blown recommendations? What devices do you have available for testing on? Will you acquire more devices for a gig? What sort of network configurations can you test? Do you test localisation, and if so, how?

Or I could have just given up based on the fact that this thread is in the wrong place. That's normally a dead give away that the OP doesn't have things together.

angrypenguin likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's definitely a thing. A friend of mine interned at Zenimax's QA division for their Elder Scrolls MMO. He described the experience as ranging anywhere from simply another day at work to a scramble for the more serious problems. He worked typical eight hour shifts with mandatory overtime as needed if they had to find something immediately. Paid $15/hour.

The explanation of his job was pretty much spot-on to the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_testing

I don't doubt many gamers have this dream at some point in their life, but that pay range is simply that. A dream.

7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

$100/hr... funny guy/troll.

You can be a game tester, but you should expect minimum wage. You should also expect to Absolutely hate gaming once you go down this path... well, the game you're testing at least.

There is no fun in game testing despite the job description. Its not like you're getting paid to play a game. You are getting paid to replay a section 100's of times. Its monotonous and brain imploding.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Precisely. You're not paid to play it. You're paid to test it.

You don't play it through and then tell someone what you thought of it. You need to have strategies to find and investigate bugs. You then need to write detailed reports on those. (Concise, detailed reports - so even that can be a challenge.) And you don't just test the normal play of the game. You need to do all of the side bits and everything in that level of detail.

I know someone who tested the game Powerslide, who described it as filling in Excel spreadsheets detailing the outcomes of crashing into every obstacle in every track from every angle. Possibly also in every vehicle. So that's what he did, for days. Not racing. Not enjoying the game. Not doing his own thing. Crash into that rock a bunch of times from different angles at different speeds. Write down what happens. Then move on to the next rock.

9. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

yeah thats fine lol
    ive done stuff like that for mods ive worked on .. for fun , no pay
    although yeah i only spent like 3-6 days at a time doing it.. and not persistent time, like, more leisurely timed

... anythings fun if you think it is lol

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

For $100 an hour you better test my game, do my laundry, and hand-feed me grapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.