Search Unity

Page-turning function using cloth physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StarvingIndieDeveloper, Nov 23, 2020.

1. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Does anyone know of an effective procedure for using cloth physics to create the effect of a page turning? Cloth is tricky to set up correctly, and in this case it needs to collide with the surface that it's coming to rest upon, and also needs two sides (one for the recto side of the page and one for the verso). I'm not sure how to get it to move properly: ideally the upper-right corner should move in an arc, in which case it has to be anchored to something.

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

The most effective approach is not to use cloth physics, and animate page turn with bones or blend shapes.

3. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

I'm using Unity 5, which I don't think allows blend shapes. To use bones, I would need to rig a plane mesh and I couldn't find any tutorial on how to do that.

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

They're supported at least since version 5.2. I'm not sure if they were supported before that point.

What's the problem rigging plane mesh exactly?

It is the same thing as with character, except you need to lay out the bones according your needs. There are many ways to rig a page.

Antypodish and bobisgod234 like this.