Search Unity

Packing bug report

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by junctionboss, May 10, 2020.

1. junctionboss

junctionboss

I'd LOVE it if someone could explain to me in reasonable terms, why DOES IT take a lifetime to pack a report ?
    I could turn old waiting ;) I wonder how many bugs are missed for people wanting to get back to DEV TIME ;)

Snedden27 and Wattosan like this.
  2. NILC

NILC

Just a side note, I had just run through the same process and was curious as to what the deal was on the wait time too so I looked a the task manager:
    upload_2020-8-4_12-50-11.png
    At first it was only hitting the disk at about 30MB/s but then it went up to:
    upload_2020-8-4_12-52-11.png
    And then once it was done reading/writing (what files?...I mistakenly thought it was just the crash dump and log file info.) it had reached the 50% marker in the progress bar.

Based on the amount of disk I/O and period of time it took to package the file, it seems to have read around 6GB and wrote around 3.5-4GB of data.

Then it started uploading:
    upload_2020-8-4_12-53-29.png
    Based on the current amount of time it is taking to send the report (at the time I am writing this), it would seem that so far it has sent around 363MB of data (~4 minutes @ 12.1Mbps) averages around 363MB and it is 54% through the process.
    upload_2020-8-4_13-0-41.png
    Based on the amount of disk IO, estimated data read and written, it would seem that it is possibly packaging the entire project to be sent to Unity?

I am sure...or rather...wanted to know that if this is the case then there is some form of automatic NDA applied to any Unity employee viewing copyrighted/protected materials being digitally transmitted to Unity.

I started digging around through the Unity Terms of Service and it would appear that perhaps located in the Professional Services section where both the user and Unity are bound into confidentiality (but there is a lot of materials you can dig through in the Terms of Services area and I am not a lawyer).

So, while I was digging around in all of that stuff (took about 15 minutes or so) I am now at 61% or about 19 minutes into the upload at an average of about 10Mbps which is around ~1.425 GB of data transmitted thus far.
    upload_2020-8-4_13-14-1.png

Seeing as the crash dump and associated log files are only about ~7MB uncompressed, it would indeed seem that each submitted bug report basically packages your entire project and uploads it to Unity's dev team. In a way, it would make sense as otherwise it would take *forever* to really figure out the bug. Of course, it could be a bit scary to think that everything you are working on is now in the hands of someone you don't know... but then again there seems to be some pretty mutual (again not a lawyer) terms established between the user (you) and Unity.

However, Unity *might* want to make it very clear that the raw assets/contents of the user's (person submitting the bug) entire project is going to be digitally transmitted to Unity and to provide a very clear link to the area within the "Terms of Service" that protects any digital assets that are copyrighted/unique to the user submitting the bug report. They should include this additional dialog with a button/checkbox that is the logged and transmitted user consent (with date and timestamp) for the authorization to transmit any and all related digital assets that may be copyrighted/protected by the user.
    While it is the responsibility of both parties to know their rights, there are some fine grey areas when it comes to undisclosed transmission of potentially protected digital materials without recorded/verified consent of the party having said digital assets transmitted (again not a lawyer, just been around this industry for awhile and you always want to have full legal counsel if in question of any legally binding agreement).

Either case, this would explain why it takes around 30-40 minutes to complete a single bug report! :)

Cheers,
    -N