Search Unity

Packing and loading entire scenes using Addressables

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Kapteeni-Studios, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

I have a pretty big mobile adventure game. Because the game size is now over 150MB, it's a problem with Google Play.

In the game, the player moves around in a 3D environment like in games like Bioshock. Every environment is it's a separate scene with unique objects. So when the player goes through the door, another scene loads. Players who have reached the end of the game story will need to load every new scene from my server using Addressables.

I want the scene loading times to be as fast as possible for the players. So when the player moves to another room, it won't load every asset that is yet to come. What is the best way to do this?

Should I make one Group for all the scenes in the game? And then choose Pack Separately like this.
    Players will load Room1, then move to Room2 etc.

Or make a separate Group for each of the 3d environments in the game and use the Pack Together.

Or is there any difference?

2. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

If those are the only assets you are building, it makes no difference either way.

3. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Hi, these images are just an example to clarify the question. Game has over 100 scenes. It looks like 70 I can include in the build and rest I need to load from server. I also need to move to NET 4 so it increased the build size.

4. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

The number doesn't matter. If you put all of them in separate groups, or put them all in the same group with Pack Separately mode, it's the same result.

However, since you're mentioning having some scenes built-in and others addressable, you may get duplicate assets if any scene objects are shared. You can use the analyze tool to see if that's the case.

Kapteeni-Studios likes this.
  5. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Hi, I tried the analyze tool and found tons of duplicate assets. They are now on Duplicate Asset Isolation group after I tapped the Fixed Selected Rules button. Next, I will try and see how it works when I play the game. Thank you for the help!