Search Unity

Packages not showing inside Projects Package folder.

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Mark-Paul, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Mark-Paul

Mark-Paul

Hi All.

Ive got an issue that im not 100% sure is an issue as the documentation for the Package Manager is all over the place.

When creating a new project im finding that the only thing in my local Packages folder is the manifest file. Which seems strange as previously this has been populated with the packages im using!

I have updated Visual Studio to 2017, have tried Unity 2.2/ 2.3 and 2.4 but all yield the same result, and this is over 3 different PCs. Its got me thinking that should the local package folder actually have packages inside it?

Inside the editor i can see the packages, and when clicking "show in explorer" it takes me to Unitys Cache folders.

It all seems a bit broken, but for the life of me I cant get to the bottom of it.

I've not got any compile errors, but my postprocessing is not working in scene view which was the first thing that led me to believe there was something wrong.

Could someone from Unity please clarify how the Package Manager should be behaving.

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Mark-Paul,

The behaviour you are experiencing is correct. The Package Manager uses a virtual file system to symlinks immutable packages in your project. This is why when you click *show in explorer*, you get directed to the *cache* folder.

In the future, we are gonna fully support *embedded* packages. Those will be mutable packages. They will be physically located inside your project and you will have the liberty to modify them. This work today. If you drop a correctly formatted package manifest (package.json) ins a *Packages* sub-folder, the package will appear in the Package Manager UI. We are not too much expressive about this feature because, as you stated, our documentation is lacking and the UX is not completed.

We are gonna get to a place where the feature is fully documented (in one place!) and really easy to use. In the meantime, I'm sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Pascal

3. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Meanwhile, @Mark-Paul,

If you want to let us know what your issue with post-processing is exactly, I'll make sure to send it over to the developers of that area.

Cheers,
    Pedro