Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Packages Manager - custom packages cannot have custom dependencies

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Hostur, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hostur

Hostur

Hi,
    I'm trying to create custom packages. There is very few available options yet but I would like to point a bug which is "handled" by developers but scenario works only for unity packages:

If I define my own package in manifest like
    "am.packages.other":"file:W:/Users/fzielinski/Packages/inny/0.0.1"
    ..it works until I define any dependency to other custom package because that dependency should looks the same way for example:
    "dependencies": {
    "am.packages.test":"file:W:/Users/fzielinski/Packages/test/1.0.1"
    }

I need the full path to the custom dependency to resolve it but unity expect that dependency will be subversion only like
    "dependencies": {
    "am.packages.test":"1.0.1"
    }

This subversion ofc cannot be resolved so this assertion for version format in dependencies should be abandoned

mailfromthewilds likes this.
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @Hostur,

Just so you know, the custom package is not a supported feature for the moment. That said, I'll do my best to help you :). What is the error message you get? It would be easier to help you out if I could see the error message.

Regards,

Pascal

3. Hostur

Hostur

Hi, so if I leave "file:" part of the path I'm receiving this error:

"An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Package am.packages.inny@0.0.1 has invalid dependencies:
    am.packages.testowy: Version is invalid. Expected a pattern like 'x.x.x[-prerelease]', got 'W:/Users/fzielinski/Packages/testowy/1.0.1' instead.

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/UnityProjects/AMCoreLibExample/Packages/manifest.json file."

If I add "file:" part before path in dependencies I'm receiving:

"An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Package am.packages.inny@0.0.1 has invalid dependencies:
    am.packages.testowy: Version is invalid. Expected a 'semver' compatible version, got 'file:W:/Users/fzielinski/Packages/testowy/1.0.1' instead.

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/UnityProjects/AMCoreLibExample/Packages/manifest.json file."

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

I understand the issue. Local package dependencies are only accepted in the project manifest (
    /<project path>/Packages/manifest.json)
    . What you are trying to do is not supported for the moment.

Either remove the dependency In your `am.packages.inny` package or use a temporary Semver value. Add your leaf dependency as a root dependency in your project. The conflict resolution algorithm will always pick root packages.

Hope it will help,

Pascal