Search Unity

Feedback Packages documentation is confusing when navigating versions

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Xarbrough, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I'm having issues finding my way through the Packages documentation when it comes to different versions of the same package. Maybe this is due to bugs in the doc pages, but maybe it's a design flaw, I don't know.

Let's look at the UI Builder package for example. Coming from the manual, the link points to version 1.0 of the package.

upload_2021-1-17_11-48-54.png

At the top I see version 1.0.0-preview.11 is selected (Google Chrome browser).

In Unity, the package manager tells me that there are multiple other versions. A newer preview.12 and some older versions.

upload_2021-1-17_11-49-49.png

However, the docs website doesn't seem to let me select these preview pages:

upload_2021-1-17_11-50-47.png

Does this mean only the most recent preview.xx has documentation? Or is there something broken here? Why isn't the most recent version preview.12 shown?

Also, when I open the doc pages in Firefox, the version selector is missing:
    upload_2021-1-17_11-52-23.png

And now it becomes really confusing: If I select any of the older version (e.g. 0.11) the version selector dropdown changes:

upload_2021-1-17_11-54-6.png

So is this slightly different for each version? How can I trust that the list is up-to-date and correct no matter on which page I'm currently browsing?

And finally, I'm unsure about the relationship between Unity versions and package versions.

The Changelog for example shows a straight list of versions, but I'm not sure about which version belongs to which Unity version. Or, if there are actually different versions per Unity main version. Some packages do have incompatible versions for 2019.3 and 2020.1 for example, but I don't easily see this information reflected in the docs.

Maybe I'd hope for a landing page that shows all versions or release tracks in a consistent way.

Thanks and keep up the improvements! :)