Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Packages break and I keep restarting

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by marwi, Aug 5, 2019.

1. marwi

marwi

Hello,

I'm sure I'm not the only one with that issue and I did hestitate to write anything about it in here for long but the issue keeps coming back and I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Yesteday I did reset my git project to a older version (around 6 weeks back) to test updating the player with squirrel. Today I updated git to the current status and the console was spammed with HDRP errors, precisely:

System.Exception: Cannot load. Incorrect path: Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipelineResources/ShaderGraph/AutodeskInteractive.ShaderGraph Null returned.

So I did restart Unity a couple of times hoping it would resolve broken packages as it did in the past. It didnt help this time.
    Then I read on SO that it might help to remove the Scriptable Core, ShaderGraph and finally HDRP and then reinstall just HDRP which would then resolve its dependencies so I did just that.
    I installed the same HDRP version as before and package manager said its dependencies SR-Core and ShaderGraph are installed (although they didnt show up in the "Packages/In Project"). So I switched to all packages and manually clicked install on SR Core and ShaderGraph again. Restarting Unity. Same error as before, so nothing changed.
    At first i tried to just delete the HDRP, ShaderGraph and SRCore packages in "<MyProject>\Library\PackageCache" and restart but that didnt change anything.
    I then went into "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com" AND "<MyProject>\Library\PackageCache" to manually delete cached packages. Restarting Unity once - some packages were resolved and I suddenly got errors about a missing Autodesk namespace. I didnt touch any Autodesk or FBX Packages so I tried to restart a couple more times but the error didnt go. I then deleted the Autodesk.fbxand unity.formats.fbx packages in both directories mentioned above and voila: all errors gone.

So my problem with this is:
    I dont know why my packages broke in the first place through resetting git to a previous version - package caches should be unaffected by that, right? Especially those in AppData?
    And then I would love a package manager option to "clean caches" or at least have a "fresh install" button to NOT use broken (?) packages in a cached folder.
    Oh and while I'm at it: Why do I have to restart unity so often when working with new packages for the first time? Like HDRP... I never know for sure if the error is just something isnt quite resolved yet or there is still something missing and that is a bit frustrating to say the least.

Working with 2019.1.6f1 on this particular project if that's relevant.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    fherbst likes this.
  2. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

hi @marwi, i'll find someone from the render pipeline team to help you out. Can you please share your manifest.json file, so we can repro?

3. marwi

marwi

Hello Erick, thanks for the reply. Sure no problem.

4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

pacakge manager auto includes dependencies (of the correct version), you don't need to have:

Code (CSharp):
    1. "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "5.16.1",
    2. "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "5.16.1-preview",
    3. "com.unity.shadergraph": "5.16.1",
    You just need the HD reference and it will pull in the right version of core and shadergraph.

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

That being said we can't diagnose the issue easily without the project, can you please log a bug.

6. marwi

marwi

I haven't edited the manifest manually and just asked my team who confirmed: they also haven't edited the manifest file directly

unityunity