Search Unity

PackageManager even installs dependencies that don't work in the current version of Unity

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by col000r, Mar 6, 2019.

1. col000r

col000r

I have Package A and Package B that both require Unity 2019.1. Package A depends on Package B. Both show up in the PackageManagerUI 2.1.1 in Unity 2019.1

Then I publish a new version of Package B and raise its minimum unity version to 2019.2, and I update Package A to depend on that new version, but keep its own version on 2019.1

The updated version of Package A still shows up in 2019.1, while Package B continues to show the previous version, the new one simply doesn’t show up in the list. (btw: I think it should still show up for reasons of discoveribility, with a note that it won't work in this version of Unity)

BUT now to the problem: if I now install the updated Package A in Unity 2019.1, it brings in the updated version of Package B anyway and compilation fails because Package B uses features from 2019.2.

I reported a bug about it: Case 1134478

2. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @col000r,

Well, that is weird. I just ran the project you included in the bug report. When I loaded package A and B in my 2019.1.a15 (I will try it out in b5 shortly), I had no compilation issues. They were in the assets folder, so I moved them under the project packages folder to properly embed them.

upload_2019-3-6_23-18-2.png

Thank for reporting, I will investigate and update this thread as appropriate.

Cheers,

3. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

@col000r,

We are working on not registering incompatible package dependencies. When custom package development becomes officially supported, there will be tooling to let you know that you depend on an incompatible package before you publish it.