Search Unity

Feedback Package Validation Suite can never validate since it only allows internal prefixes

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by fherbst, Oct 1, 2019.

1. fherbst

fherbst

I'm trying to actually use the package validation suite, but it turns out while I can look at errors/warnings there's no way to get a package to validate (in the UI) for the simple reason that currently allowed prefixes are hardcoded:

Error: In package.json, "name" needs to start with one of these approved company names: com.unity., com.autodesk., com.havok.

Coming from this:
    private string[] PackageNamePrefixList = { "com.unity.", "com.autodesk.", "com.havok." };

Can you please remove that check or at least make it editable in some way? I'd rather not have to change the validation suite just to get my packages validated.

(yeees, I know, it's all preview and supposed to be used internally, but since you made it public I thought I'd give it a try - the idea is good)

ErnestSurys likes this.
  2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @fherbst,

I'll send your feedback to the appropriate team.

In the meantime, while I understand you'd prefer use the package as-is, you might have to, because I cannot make any promises that this will get changed in a timely manner. For now, you can embed the package into your project by copying it from
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-validation-suite@<version>
    to
    Packages/com.unity.package-validation-suite
    , then make any changes you see fit, including removing this check. If you don't want to track this your project VCS or have to do this change for multiple Unity projects, you can also create a Git repository, commit the change, and use a Git URL to reference the package from your projects. You can also simply reference it through a
    file:<path>
    dependency if you prefer to directly reference a locally-available modified version.

fherbst likes this.
  3. MaggerFabio

MaggerFabio

+1 to make this editable. (If you want to distribute packages in-house only and use your company name, this will break validation)