Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Package Update Info - Needs some Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joshcamas, Feb 5, 2020.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

I really like the idea of moving a lot of the code and features out of the core Unity Engine, and bringing them into packages. It's a really good direction to go, since it allows for faster modular development, a more stable core engine, and more source-accessible features.

One weakness of a package system, however, is getting the knowledge of updates and documentation to us. When Unity 20XX.X releases, there's a huge blog post, documentation is updated, lots and lots of information is displayed. But when a package is updated, it seems like it's hard for the developers to tell people about it, and to explain what's changed. Currently, the only place it's found is on the forums, hidden deep within a thread somewhere. I don't blame developers, since there really is no place for them to post updates easily. A lot of information (such as when a certain feature is going to be updated) is spread by word of mouth, and sometimes rumors turn out to be false, it's kind of confusing at the moment.

I think it would be nice for Unity to develop better ways for various Unity teams to communicate with us about updates, changes, and plans on packages, without resorting to the scattered updates on the forums. For example, having a mini "blog" on the package site. It would also be nice to have internal rules set up on how often packages should be documented, since it's very up and down (some packages have fantastic explanations, examples, and docs, while others have next to none).

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something here?