Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Package resolve race condition? Sharing (EBUSY) violations detected [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by beevik_, Feb 23, 2021.

1. beevik_

beevik_

On one of my projects I've been having problems resolving packages after wiping the project's `Library` directory. Here is a portion of my editor log showing some of the errors on startup:

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:

com.unity.addressables: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\Foo\UnityProjects\Test\Library\PackageCache\.tmp67923xclRTGVqo8k\copy\Runtime\AssetReferenceUIRestriction.cs'

com.unity.burst: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\Foo\UnityProjects\Test\Library\PackageCache\.tmp679276j9S0D0KK63\copy\Editor\LongTextArea.cs'

com.unity.collections: EBUSY: resource busy or locked, open 'C:\Users\Foo\UnityProjects\Test\Library\PackageCache\.tmp6792pIQ73gG6UB1K\copy\Unity.Collections\BitField.cs'
    Each time I attempt to load the project, I get similar errors but with different files involved.

As you can see, the package manager is complaining that it cannot write files because there is a sharing (EBUSY) violation. Because my project's manifest contains numerous projects, each of which indirectly references some of the same `com.unity.*` packages, I suspect the package manager may be trying to copy multiple copies of a file into the project's package cache at the same time.

I have been able to resolve this issue by manually copying packages from Unity's AppData package cache into my project's package cache, but that's obviously not a workable long-term solution, and I can't ask other members of my team to do this every time this problem occurs.

I'm using Unity 2020.2.4 on Windows.

2. beevik_

beevik_

I just discovered another thread about a similar issue. Other people who had this problem said they were using Visual Studio Code when it happened. I, too, had VS code opened on my project's root directory. When I closed VSCode, the problem appears to have gone away.

So VSCode must be creating short locks on new files as they get created.

wangzhijiang, linh60bpm and teasully like this.