Search Unity

Package not visible in Unity 2020.3

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by xgonzal2, Mar 22, 2021.

1. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

A bit of background on the issue. I've forked Unity's Universal RP package to make our own custom modifications to it and we've been publishing this package internally with our own registry. Within that registry, we also have a scope to filter our custom URP package. This has the effect of hiding the package provided by Unity and instead shows our version of it from our list of registries in the project.

This process has been working throughout Unity 2020 but testing in 2020.3 we can't seem to show our custom package of URP and I have no idea why. The package manifest itself is simple and does not currently contain any "unity" or "unityrelease" attributes so there shouldn't be any hiding by the package manager. I'm not currently sure what else to try. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @xgonzal2,

There was a change during 2020.X development where customized Unity packages were "moved" to the My Registries section in the Package Manager rather than the Unity Registry section. Could you check if it is there now?

If not, are you able to pinpoint a more specific version of 2020 where it stopped working as you expect? Which version of 2020.3 are you using exactly? Is it showing up in My Project if you manually add it to your project manifest dependencies?

3. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

Hi @maximeb_unity,

Thanks for the reply! Our customized package does not show up in either the Unity Registry (as expected) nor in My Registries which is where it has been visible throughout Unity 2020. Starting with Unity 2020.3.0f1 we can't see our customized package anywhere in the package manager but can confirm that it was not an issue with Unity 2020.1 or 2020.2 so far. I think the last one I tried was 2020.2.7f1 and it was working as expected. Unity's URP package is also not visible anywhere in 2020.3.0f1 unless we remove the scope we have to filter that package in our registry. I had also removed any attributes from the package manifest that may cause it to be hidden by the package manager in case that was breaking something.

If we add it as a local package then there is no problem at all and works as expected but the package manager does not see any other version of the package so it can't be updated once we use 2020.3.0f1.

4. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @xgonzal2,

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'll take this information to the team and try to figure out if this is a known regression. My expectation is that it should show up under My Registries, so clearly something's wrong.

Could you please submit a bug report from within the Editor, and post the issue ID here? This will allow us to better follow-up for support. Ideally, if you could do this using the latest 2020.3 release or the latest you can use, and in from your project with the scoped registry configured, ie. with the problem occurring. Thanks!

5. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

maximeb_unity likes this.
  6. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

After taking a look at the provided files in the case, I think it is caused by the Editor manifest which has a higher "minimumVersion" than your custom package version, and causes the Package Manager to use that higher version instead. Because you use a scoped registry for that package, the higher version isn't found. And I think that it might also not show up in the Package Manager window at all because there are no versions higher or equal to this "minimumVersion" on your registry.

You may need to republish your package with a higher version, or find a different way to customize the package. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to fork Unity packages, besides embedding them in your project and modifying them - but this isn't very practical when you want to customize and re-use across multiple projects. You could use local "file:" dependencies to point to your own source custom package source repository... There's quite a few ways to handle this, depending on your specific requirements.

7. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

Thanks again for all the help!

maximeb_unity likes this.