Search Unity

Package manager UX feedback

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Lars-Steenhoff, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

UX problems and proposed solutions

1 - Please cache ( or prefetch ) all the asset names that I bought, so you don't need to fetch assets for each search. ( search is slow )

2 - Make pagination optional. ( no more load more ) Or add a load all button ( I don't want to have to press load more 30 times... )

3 - Keep the last item selected on refresh, don't jump to the top. ) ( I dont want to scroll down the llist 30 times...)

4 - Keep track of the package version per project, so if an update is available show what version is installed per project and what version is available. ( I believe this may already be the case? )

5 - Favourites filter in my package listing, with packages I like to keep handy. ( so I don't have to go trough the long listing )

It will fix my main issues ( have over a 1000 assets from the store )

I filed this as a bug
    Case 1179887

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback around the new My Asset filter, it's very appreciated. Let me answer you here over your feedback points to give you some information around them:

1 - We do cache assets but we still need to search online to see if there are changes.
    2 - We have plans to enhance the load more option (such as choose more results with the load more button)
    3 - We should indeed keep the last selected package unless it's not part of the current refresh (We'll look into it if it's the case)
    4 - Unfortunately we can't keep track of the package version per project that uses the old format (.unityPackage) mainly because you can't install these packages in a project, you can only import files from them in your Asset folder.
    5 - We will have some customizable lists of packages, we are still working on this currently.

Boris

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update!

For point 1, perhaps for a normal search you would not have to check for changes?
    Or do it only once per 30 min?

That would speed up the search a lot I would assume.

Keeping in mind I have over a 1000 assets.

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

point 3 - We should indeed keep the last selected package unless it's not part of the current refresh (We'll look into it if it's the case)

I was wrong here, it does indeed keep it selected, In my case it was the top package and therefore it scrolled back to top on refresh.

What I should have asked for is to keep the scroll position without jumping to selected on refresh.

5. npatch

npatch

Since this is a UX/ UX requests thread, I'll join in.

1) So far, my understanding is that scoped registries allow you to keep track of versions and allow you the Update functionality. Since Git URLs are now possible, I imagine it's equally easy to do the same thing through tag queries. Following mob-sakai's tutorial for custom package development(upm protected branch), tags are semantic versions(as per custom package manual). So allowing the update/tag-as-version dropdown seems easy.

2) Functionality to install stuff. Instead of everyone writing their custom editor/hacks (e.g. like the Text Mesh Pro import essentials window), it could be an extra script in the package with a single func which could be exposed as an Install/Deploy button in the Package Manager UI, just like add/remove/update. If someone needs more than that, it could connect to an EditorWindow poping up. Simple cases though will be rather straightforward.

JoNax97 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.