Search Unity

Package Manager packages support references to outside project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by roberto_sc, Jan 10, 2020.

1. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

I was surprised to find out that it is possible to have a package managed by Package Manager with references to the game project.

I was moving some files from one project into a package to be used in a new project, using the Package Manager. I was following https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CustomPackages.html

Some of these files have references to a plugin, so I had the idea to #ifdef the lines that use the plugin so if in the future someone decides to use the same plugin they can add a compilation directive to enable the code in the package. But then I thought it wouldn't work, because:

1. maybe compilation directives from Player Preferences are not used when compiling packages;
    2. maybe packages are compiled before everyone else;
    3. the package has its own asmdef which doesn't point to the plugin.

But it did work!

Something doesn't look right here. What is happening?

Example
    In my package I have a .cs file with the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if USE_ODIN_INSPECTOR
    2. using Sirenix.OdinInspector;
    3. #endif
    If I add the package using the Package Manager, set USE_ODIN_INSPECTOR in PlayerPreferences and add the plugin to my project everything works fine.

This is probably the first post where someone is complaining because something is working.

2. AndrewRyan

AndrewRyan

I assume this works because you made your package expect to reference the plugin in the project. This wouldn't otherwise work if those scripts were loosely contained in the project space.