Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

package manager not listing package I just imported

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by MrMajorThorburn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MrMajorThorburn

MrMajorThorburn

I accessed my assets list on the asset store web page and started Unity and created a new project with the same name as the asset and then selected the open in unity on the asset store web page and accepted download and import all in the editor.
    I opened package manger and was not able to find the package in the list of packages provided.
    The package name was 2D Character Creator.
    I know it detects that the download has completed as the web page and asset store window in the editor now have import instead of open or download.

2 questions where did it download the package to and why is it not listed?

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @MrMajorThorburn,

Asset store packages use what we internally call the *.unitypackage* package format as transport. It is an old package format that was introduced in Unity a long time ago. It is a zip file. The content of which is decompressed directly in your project.

The current asset store package format and the new Package Manager package format (package listed in the Package Manager UI use this new format) are different. This is why when you download an asset store package, it won't show up in the Package Manager UI. I understand this can be confusing.

We are planning to expose the new Package Manager package format in the asset store at some point in the future. But we are not there yet. We are actively working on it!

So, for the moment, when you download an asset store package in your project, look under the /Assets folder for a sub-folder with the same name as the package. It is usually the typical pattern used by asset store package authors to help users track back the content.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Pascal