Search Unity

Package Manager missing from Window menu

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Abusers, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Abusers

Abusers

So... I recently had to update my unity from 2018.2.2 to 2018.3.0 and now I can't even run my game because it says TMPro namespace can't be found.

I did bit of digging around and I don't know if I'm on the right track for it... but I am highly suspicious of Package Manager being missing from Window menu.

Whats funny is if I start the project in 2018.2.2 and restart the project in 2018.3.0, Package Manager is IN the Window menu, though all I get from it is an empty window which I can't do anything with.
    And when I restart the project again with 2018.3.0, Package Manager is gone from the menu again...

I've been trying alot of stuffs like changing Packages/manifest.json, resetting my packages to defaults, deleting this and thats... but none seem to work for me.

Anyone know how to solve this? (other than creating new project...)

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Abusers,

This is usually caused by an incompatible version of a package with your current Unity version. This is not supposed to happen. The project upgrade system should have bumped packages to a compatible version. In 2018.3, I believe TextMeshPro minimum compatible version is *1.3.0*. Can you open the file <project path>/Packages/manifest.json and manually update TextMeshPro version?

Regards,

Pascal

3. Abusers

Abusers

Hi @okcompute_unity
    thanks for replying!!

I've tried what you said, but it didn't work. TextMeshPro version was already 1.3.0 in manifest.json. Even when I tried to manually set the TextMeshPro to lower version, and then set it back to 1.3.0, nothing changed.

Other threads mentioned deleting or changing the version of package-manager-ui in manifest.json might help, but didn't work for me.

Also, in addition to the problems that I wrote, collab button is not shown in 2018.3.0 for some reason. When I start the project in 2018.2.2, and restart with 2018.3.0, collab button in shown. Just like Package Manager, collab button disappears again when project is restarted with 2018.3.0.

Do you think these two problems are related?

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

5. FallenTreeGames

FallenTreeGames

I'm getting the same issue, did you manage to find any more information?

6. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

7. Abusers

Abusers

@okcompute_unity
    Here are the log files you requested. Thanks for checking them out!

@FallenTreeGames
    No, I couldn't find much more information yet...I'd be grateful if you could also share anything related to this matter

Attached Files:

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Looking at the logs, I see a UIElement error at the end. This is usually caused by a project that was not properly updated. And I don't see any *package manager update process* log. So this project was already updated to 2018.3. Do you know from which Unity version this project is coming from? In other words, you need to figure out who updated this project to 2018.3 and what they possibly did wrong to get incompatible package dependencies.

Regards,

Pascal

GHUnity1 likes this.
  9. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

And it seems you have a strange name in your log:
    com.unity.package-manager-uikage-manager-ui

Did you implement a custom version of the Package Manager UI package?

10. Abusers

Abusers

@okcompute_unity
    Thanks for the check!!!

The project was originally made with unity version before 2018.3 and was updated to 2018.3 by someone other than me. The project is working fine on his PC, and its working fine on my PC as well when I downloaded it from collab... its just that its not working properly on my Mac...

And about this 'com.unity.package-manager-uikage-manager-ui' dependency name... I found this happening from time to time usually after I manually change manifest.json. It's not a custom version of Package Manager, you probably see that 'kage-manager-ui' part of 'com.unity.package-manager-ui' is added to the end of the whole 'com.unity.package-manager-ui'...I don't know why this is happening but I've seen dependency names like 'com.unity.package-manager-uikage-manager-uikage-manager-ui' before.

Another news that I want to share with you is that the Package Manager problem has been solved!... my co-worker changed the none english project folder name to english, and after re-downloading the whole project again... both Package Manager and collab button is now showing and working...
    Yeah... though the problem is solved... I still want to figure out why its all fixed now. Is changing the the folder name to english really is the solution to this problem? Or does it really do have any kinda effect on fixing this?...

11. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Great news and great feedback! :) I'll make sure that our QA teams try to repro your issue with a non-English folder name.

Thank you,

Pascal

Abusers likes this.
  12. FallenTreeGames

FallenTreeGames

In our case the issue was a compile error caused by a 3rdParty lib implementing a MinAttirbute (and associated editor). Apparently 2018.3 has it's own MinAttribute and the things collided. This compile error stopped the upgrade from happening correctly (but wasn't initially reported for some reasons). Once this error was fixed and the re-import ran again we no longer have these issues

Abusers likes this.
  13. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

@FallenTreeGames, Glad to hear that the problem was found.
    @Abusers, Thanks for reporting. We think we know what this issue is and are investigating.

Cheers all,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

Abusers likes this.
  14. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

We had the same issue with opening a project on a Mac, where the project name included a "ö", which made Package Manager disappear from the menu. Changing project name to have an "o" instead solved the issue.

Meanwhile on Windows, Package Manager worked fine all along.

15. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Egil-Sandfeld , Do you know in which version of Unity you found this bug?

16. hybridAli

hybridAli

I have same bug in empty project created on 2019.1.0f2

17. hollysephiroth

hollysephiroth

I also have this error in empty 2019 project

18. bladerunner69008

bladerunner69008

The Packages/manifest.json file was not updated
    I created a new project and just copied this file tony current project and it works

19. jshiraef33

jshiraef33

I have this same issue as soon as I upgraded to 2019.1

20. GuyMauve5

GuyMauve5

Package manager was not showing on two different installs i had ...2018.4.0f1 and 2019.1.2f1
    I tried everything in vain until i realized Win7 needs a security update
    Just installed windows update KB2533623 and now Package Manager is appearing in both 2018.4.0f1 and 2019.1.2f1

okcompute_unity likes this.
  21. CrunchyPudding

CrunchyPudding

I had the exact issues discussed here. TMPro missing references, Package Manager missing. This is what finally worked for me.

Thanks! I never would have guessed to check for Windows security updates.

22. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you @GuyMauve5 . I added your solution in our Known Issues thread.

23. davidnibi

davidnibi

I'm STILL getting this in March 2020. I've switched to 2018.2.2 from 2018.2.1, so not a big version change. I know Unity can't handle changing your project between any version, but this happens everytime. I'm on a new Windows 10 install and Package Manager was not there the first time I booted Unity up.

I'm getting 100+ errors associated with packages, I can't access Package Manager, I can't do anything with my project in Unity.
    Also getting this error, which leaves me bollocksed.

Add 2018.2.2 to that as well. I've never had to 'finetune' which version download to within a decimal point before to make something not attributed to my own errors work!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  24. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @davidnibi

Please note that 2018.2.X is no longer supported. To get the latest patches and bug fixes, you should update to the latest 2018.4 LTS version. However let's see if a simple project fix can solve your issue.

First, have you tried using the following?
    Help > Reset packages to default

If that doesn't help, can you share your Editor.log file? There are probably hints in there explaining what causes your current situation.

davidnibi likes this.
  25. davidnibi

davidnibi

maximeb_unity likes this.