Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Package Manager is missing on the Window menu.

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by georgeq, Apr 26, 2018.

1. georgeq

georgeq

The Window menu doesn't show the Package Manager when you open a project imported from 2018.1 by the first time. To have access to the Package Manager you must close the project and open it up again. Also the second time you open the project Unity complaints that it was saved with and older version which is false since you just opened with the current version.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Are you using the hub? Does any of this also happen if you start Unity the old way?

NikitaVahrameev21 likes this.
  3. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi georgeq,

Could you please indicate which exact versions of Unity 2018.1 and 2018.2 you were using when this happened?

4. georgeq

georgeq

I installed 2018.1.0b13 manually (outside the hub) and 2018.2.0b2 from the hub 0.16.0.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We've found the culprit and will be fixing it asap. The issue occurs due to a bug in the packman UI.

optimise likes this.
  6. georgeq

georgeq

Thanks Leonard, is good to know!

7. mlagares

mlagares

I am just getting started with Unity and also have this problem. No Package Manager entry in the Window menu. I just upgraded to 538p2. I see no way of getting it to display. I have tried loading old projects and creating new empty ones. No difference.

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Package Manager was introduced in Unity 2017.2 as far as I know. Earlier versions of Unity do not have this feature.

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It isnt available in the LTS versions either, are you sure it was 2017 it was introduced in? I thought 2018 was earliest?

10. M_R

M_R

2017 introduced the backend (i.e. you may be able to put stuff in manifest.json - didn't try it)
    2018 introduced the UI

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

As a workaround, you can try and open the manifest.json file for the affected project in a text editor, and remove the package-manager-ui entry from there if there is one.

kaleidosgu likes this.
  12. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

I just upgraded to b4 and I've got the same problem. Unfortunately my manifest.json looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.   "dependencies": {}
    3. }
    The window is available in a new project. Is there any other way I can get the window to appear?

RaL likes this.
  13. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I have a similar problem, in that the window doesn't appear for existing or new projects; I've reported it as a bug and I'll post an update here if I receive any news.

14. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I've received a reply, it seems I have some files missing from my installation which should be in folder C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\ (not sure why yet). I'll attach screenshots of the relevant folders and what they have got in them in case anyone else has the same issue.

In the meantime, I'm going to install Unity on another PC and if it works and all the files are there I'll try copying them over to the PC with the issue and see if that fixes the problem

Attached Files:

15. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

I do have the packages, which makes sense, because I do see the project in another window. Guess it's time for me to submit a bug report as well.

16. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

The installation on the other PC did have all the files, and after copying them to the original PC the problem is fixed.

This doesn't explain what caused the original issue, but it's a workaround at least.

Yours must be a different problem though, but hopefully a bug report will get things sorted for you :)

17. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The initial issue discussed in this thread was specific to projects that were opened for the first time (and will be fixed in one of the upcoming betas). If restarting the editor doesn't resolve the issue, and you are still not able to access the packman UI, then there's a different problem. In that case you can try to change the version of the packman UI in your project's manifest.json file to "com.unity.package-manager-ui": "1.9.8".

Peter77 likes this.
  18. SketchWork

SketchWork

@LeonhardP I'm having the same problem on Mac OSX Unity v2018.1.1f1. I have moved a project from Windows to the Mac to compile up, but the project won't start because of missing package manager.

I thought about manually copying them from my PC to the Mac, but have no idea where they go on the Mac. There is no package-manager-ui entry in the project manifest so I can't remove that as suggested earlier.

I have tried a complete re-import to no avail.

The Package manager shows up on a newly created project. I have tried on direct launch of Unity and via the Unity Hub. They both come up the same.

I'm at a loss.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Justin
    2018-05-24_1423.png 2018-05-24_1422.png

19. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi SketchWork,

This error message is at odds with the 2018.1.1f1 version, which ships with version
    of the package manager. If there's no
    com.unity.package-manager-ui
    entry in the
    Packages/manifest.json
    file, it would seem that Unity itself adds the default version, which should be
    . There used to be a problem with one of the late 2018.1 betas, which would instead try to get
    . Are you 100% certain you are using 2018.1.1f1?

As a workaround, you could try adding the dependency directly in your project manifest:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.     ...
    3.     "dependencies" : {
    4.         ....
    5.         "com.unity.package-manager-ui": "1.8.8"
    6.     }
    7. }

20. SketchWork

SketchWork

Hi @maximeb_unity

Just tried your suggestion, but it is still coming up with the same message.

Yes, definitely using 2018.1.1f1.

Best,

Justin

21. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @SketchWork,

Did you install that version using the Unity Hub or directly using the Unity installer?

And if you don't mind, could you please list the contents of your project manifest (Packages/manifest.json)?

22. SketchWork

SketchWork

That's odd. I have Package Manager v1.9.6 running on the PC. I replaced it with the one you suggested and it appears to be working. If I change it on the Mac will it still work on the PC with version 1.8.8?

23. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Both PC and Mac versions of 2018.1.1f1 are identical in that respect, so yes, it should work on both PC and Mac if you're using the exact same Unity version (which is recommended anyway because a given version may save assets in a way that an older version wouldn't be able to process correctly).

24. SketchWork

SketchWork

Thanks for your help it is working again, but wonder how the 1.9.6 version got on my PC in the first place if 1.8.8 is the current version.