Search Unity

Package Manager forever "Loading packages ..."

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Scotchee, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Scotchee

Scotchee

I've tried to search for anyone having this same problem but I have been unable to find it. When I open the package manager window It only shows a small list of packages and forever displays a message "Loading packages ..." It never completes this task no matter how long I wait. No error messages are ever displayed.

This is the appearance of the window:
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 5.25.13 PM.png

I have noticed this on 2018.3.3f1, 2018.3.1f1, and 2019.1.0a13. I am running on a MacPro

_eternal, P_Jong, Efril and 2 others like this.
  2. segant

segant

Same here

P_Jong likes this.
  3. idallas

idallas

I have the same problem on 2018.3.1f1, 2018.3.3f1, 2019.1.0b1 on both Windows or Mac.

The older version of package manager in 2018.2.20f1 works fine.

4. NOP_W

NOP_W

Same problem, but you can edit it in "packages/mainfest.json", and get packages name and versions here.

JiongXia and idallas like this.
  5. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hi all,

This is obviously not the way it is supposed to work and we have not seen anything alike in our testing. I will be digging a bit more into this issue and would appreciate if you can add any more information that comes to mind. Has anything else changed in your setups or is the update of Unity the only thing? Are you mainly on Windows/Mac?

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

6. segant

segant

I am on Windows. It's fixed. Everything is in order now.

7. Scotchee

Scotchee

I am on a MacPro - macOS Mojave. Nothing has changed recently with my setup. The package manager has always demonstrated this behavior for me, I've just gotten to the point where I've needed it to work since some things are no longer providing the latest versions on the asset store (post processing, pro builder, ...)

wsq635219231's suggestion of editing the manifest.json file has been very helpful. I have been able to add "com.unity.postprocessing": "2.1.3" and "com.unity.probuilder": "4.0.3" and as soon as I save the manifest.json file and switch back to Unity, it will install them and then they will show up in the list in the package manager. I have also since installed 2018.3.4f1 and still experience the same "Loading packages ..." behavior.

Here is a screenshot that shows Post Processing and ProBuilder in the list:
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 9.50.23 AM.png

8. NOP_W

NOP_W

And it looks like this when setup offline. Seems like it has received packages information but not shown them.
    upload_2019-2-5_19-29-59.png

9. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Thank you all for the additional information.

I appreciate your patience on this matter.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

10. idallas

idallas

I just tested this on an office network, and it's working for me here. I had actually already tried using my cell phone as a hotspot from home and couldn't get it to work that way, so I had assumed it was not anything related to my home network. Now it seems like it is something to do with the network config, but I don't know what it would be.

2018.2.20f1 works fine for me everywhere.

11. atmuc

atmuc

I have the same problem with 2018.3.7f1 and 2018.3.0f2. What is there any solution for this?

12. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

13. atmuc

atmuc

I can access all address at the network configuration page.
    I can access Asset Store and update assets.
    I do not use a proxy.
    Edit: I disabled firewall. it is still loading packages forever and I cannot see all packages

14. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

@atmuc,

Could you try adding this line inside the "dependencies" section of your "Packages/manifest.json" file?
    "com.unity.probuilder": "4.0.3"

After making this change, switching back to Unity will attempt to download and install the package. Whether that works will allow us determine if you are experiencing network issues of if this is a UI glitch.

Thank you,
    Benoit

15. atmuc

atmuc

@benoitv_unity

I added this, unity noticed this change and started popup "Resolving packages". It waited forever.
    I canceled resolving packages. I restarted unity. I saw Probuilder 4.0.3 in the packages list.
    I created an empty project. It tries to load packages forever.
    I use "all packages" option, not "in project" option
    I tested it on my home computer.

At my office computer, I use the same project over Collab. I can see all the packages.

16. atmuc

atmuc

I checked the resource manager. UnityPackage manager has a connection to 75.126.118.184:443. it has *.bintray.com SSL certificate.

17. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

18. atmuc

atmuc

@benoitv_unity

I downloaded it in 2 secs. I have a 25 Mbit fiber connection. I also tried with mobile hotspot.

When I disconnect my connection, I can see other packages. On that case, I get the following error on a few packages.

failed to fetch package size:
    Cannot connect to 'download.packages.unity.com:443' (error code: ENOTFOUND).

can this error be related package manager? I guess it is related to Collab.

[CEF] redirecting event: in https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/editor/production/cloud/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js at line 43
    [CEF] connect service not available, reason: [object Object] in https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/editor/production/cloud/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js at line 27
    [CEF] Error retrying unity object initialization in https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/editor/production/cloud/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js at line 27
    [CEF] TypeError: Cannot read property 'permissions' of undefined
    at s (https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co...ud/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:27:946)
    at https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co...d/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:27:1910
    at https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co.../hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:27:16863
    at https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co.../hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:14:12950
    at e (https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co.../hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:12:20731)
    at https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.co.../hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js:12:22152 in https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/editor/production/cloud/hub/assets/unityeditor-cloud-hub.js at line 13

19. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

@atmuc,

Thank you for trying this out. The last error reports you posted are to be somewhat expected when you disconnect your internet. As for why you are able to download a package from your browser and not through Package Manager, that I cannot explain. In the previous test you tried downloading ProBuilder and mentioned it was taking forever. How long did you let it run? Would you mind trying again and just leave it running until a failure occurs? This could reveal an error code of some kind and perhaps allow us to get an idea of what is happening.

There is probably a network configuration that your browser has which is not taken into account by Package Manager, perhaps in relation to SSL certificates.

Regards

20. atmuc

atmuc

@benoitv_unity

It is strange, it works today. I had restarted Unity several times, I restarted my computer a few times when this error occurred. Yesterday I had a windows update. After I restarted my computer Unity requested activation. Unity request that after some windows updates. I reactivated. I opened Unity, the problem continued. I hibernated my computer, today It was still loading packages. After your last message, I opened second Unity windows with another project. Unity loaded packages. I restarted the first Unity windows, It loaded packages too. I don't know what caused to work. Thanks for your help, If the problem occurs again, I will check your suggestions again.

21. ideaengine

ideaengine

I'd like to add a little info to this issue. I am on MacOS 10.14.3, Unity 2018.3.6f1.

My Package Manager sticks at "loading packages..." forever (more than 24 hours) and searching for packages doesn't reveal any non built-in packages.

I manually added "com.unity.probuilder": "4.0.3", to my manifest.json file and relaunched Unity. Unity started to download the new package and hung with a beach ball. I let it sit for 10 minutes, then force-quit Unity.

When I relaunched it recompiled and ProBuilder was active and working.

Loading com.unity.probuilder-4.0.3.tgz from a browser happens without delay.

Later I quit and added "com.unity.progrids": "3.0.1", to the manifest, relaunched and got the following error:

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Project has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.progrids: Package [com.unity.progrids@3.0.1] cannot be found

I don't know if this is related, but I have been needing to manually install the most recent versions of Unity instead of using the Hub. If I use the Hub, the install thermometer gets all the way to the end but the install doesn't complete. I've tried this on several versions of 2018.3 and also on two computers with the same results. It seems like some sort of "download complete" trigger is not happening with the install, and possibly with the package installs too.

Thanks,

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

Seeing this again (2019-03-22). Just sits there forever with no timeout or error...

About an hour ago, same Unity editor version (2018.3.9f1) it worked fine.

23. gerbill

gerbill

Getting this error when trying to install ShaderGraph

Code (CSharp):
    1. Cannot perform upm operation: failed to fetch from registry: https://packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph [NotFound]
    2. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

... and just like that the package manager window is working. Perhaps this is a server side issue?

25. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@jjxtra @gerbill

Our backend providers had issues with their services last Friday. The server was up and down for a couple of hours. There were some hiccups this morning too. You can follow their service status updates here:

https://statusgator.com/services/bintray

Regards,

Pascal

26. MrG

MrG

For 30 minutes this is all I see. Asset store inside Unity is fine, internet is fine.
    Unity 2018.3.11
    upload_2019-3-30_9-12-35.png

27. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@MrG, Strange. The service status does not show any downtime recently. Does the problem persist?

Pascal

28. hunter_gam_ovr

hunter_gam_ovr

I am getting the same bug here... Although I've managed to download the "2d.psdimporter" before few hours.
    Now I am getting the "Loading packages" forever message again.

29. MrG

MrG

It's not consistent. Sometimes I can open other projects and it's fine, then reopen the one that was struggling and it suddenly works, then other projects will hang. No real pattern I can figure out. If it logged its activity someplace..........

30. idallas

idallas

The package manager is fully working for me today, even in older versions such as 2018.3.3f1, on both Mac and Win. I hadn't tried for several days so I don't know when it started working.

31. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@MrG, we are trying to add more logs. This is something we are not good at. You can try to start Unity with this command line parameter
    -enablePackageManagerTraces
    . It should be more verbose. And then take a look at the
    upm.log
    file. But like I said, we are not good at logging stuff :( ... slowly improving the situation over time...

Regards,

Pascal

32. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

33. MrG

MrG

USA

34. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@ MrG Stange. USA is not on our list of countries with connectivity issues. One of the countries we used to have a lot of issues is China. This should be greatly improved since last week.

35. idallas

idallas

I'm USA also. Package Manager has continued to work properly for the past week. It's possible it was something on my end that changed to fix end, but it's nothing I changed intentionally.

okcompute_unity likes this.
  36. Werjwelil

Werjwelil

I'm in China now, and I found that the package Manager is also not so reliable.
    However, the package manager could update the list of packages successfully after I reopen the unity editor for several times.

37. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Werjwelil , we've updated our backend infrastructure in China to improve reliability. This was enabled two weeks ago. Did you witness any improvements for the last two weeks?

Thank you for your feedback!

Pascal

38. JesOb

JesOb

Have the same issue, just now.

Id I clear package cache unity very fast load new ones but inside package manager I can see only package already in project no matter what I do.

The only way to add package is to change manifest.json by hand.

39. AiTuDou

AiTuDou

Same issues as Jes28. Adding packages manually to manifest.json has them load pretty fast. Though going into the package manager window, it just sits there on "Loading Packages..". I'm in China if that helps add to the mystery, both on or off a VPN doesn't resolve the issue. Unity 2019.1.0f2.

40. JesOb

JesOb

Reloading Editor dont help.
    I have find that closing PackageManger window and opening it again works for me.

41. MonkeyYao

MonkeyYao

same problem "Loading packages ...". china. 2019/4/26 20:43. Adding packages manually to manifest.json has them load pretty fast.

42. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback, we are investigating the issue

43. MumboChuChu

MumboChuChu

MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.3 on Macbook Pro 2017 15 inch
    Unity 2019.1.0f2 personal.
    Having the same issue as described. Currently living in Puerto Rico in case region matters

44. mingming-0202

mingming-0202

I am in china,same problem

45. linly

linly

I'm in China too, I encountered this problem with Unity 2019.1.1f, but as I upgraded to 2019.1.2f1, the problem is gone.

By the way, why can't I post in Chinese?

gferrari likes this.
  46. gferrari

gferrari

I'm in China too and I have this problem with VPN and without VPN

47. GamerXP

GamerXP

Same here Unity 2018.3.12, Russia.
    It's in "Loading packages" for 10 minutes already. But sometimes, when stars are in right positions, it loads instantly. Maybe after 10 Unity restarts.

gferrari likes this.
  48. gferrari

gferrari

I hope that don't wakeup Cthulhu haha

49. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

We have a really hard time to reproduce your problem on our systems. We are not 100% sure, but this issue may be related to the network connection quality. We would like to know if you would not mind running diagnostic software on your machine. This would give us a bit more details about your local network connection quality. This would be helpful and we could potentially rule out the network quality effect on this issue. Please stay tuned, one my colleague will post a link for the tool and the steps to download and run it on your machine.

Regards,

Pascal

gferrari likes this.
  50. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Dear users,

We will soon be shipping the Package Manager Diagnostics tool with Unity to help us in diagnosing issues such as this. For now, the tool can be downloaded and run as a standalone application. If you are experiencing the issues described in this thread, we would be very grateful if you could try running the tool and giving us your feedback!

Please note: This tool is a work in progress. Since it is not yet shipped with Unity, you will have to give your permission to run the script when prompted by your OS. This will not occur in the final Unity build where the tool can be launched from the Unity editor.

Instructions:
    1. Download the zip
    2. Unzip
      UnityPackageManagerDiagnostics.zip
    3. Double-click the appropriate
      run-diag-<platform>
      for your OS
    4. Allow permissions to run the script
      • On Mac, you will need to Right-click > Open
        run-diag-macos
        to give permission
    5. Attach the generated report file