Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Package Manager for all?

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by codestage, Apr 25, 2018.

1. codestage

codestage

Hey there!

I see great positive changes at the Package Manager over last betas and today's b2 brings this great beauty to us:

upload_2018-4-25_19-43-38.png

I just can't wait to try out this for own packages as an asset publisher and developer in general.
    Are there any possible dates or plans on opening Package Manager for the external packages?

I would love to participate in alpha or beta stage of the open world test if it will exist!

dzamani likes this.
  2. codestage

codestage

Actually I see it's possible to add external packages with some hand work and being guided by awesome docs, but still, it's pretty hacky and some official APIs or tools would be really great to see ^^

upload_2018-4-25_20-5-28.png

3. dzamani

dzamani

Nice find, could you explain how you hacked your way to custom packages ?

4. codestage

codestage

@dzamani
    It wasn't that hard actually.
    I've prepped my package following the docs (added the package.json to the root folder of my package, added assembly definition as well), created new folder in the cache (C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\net.codestage.maintainer@1.4.1), copied all the files I had in package as is:

upload_2018-4-25_20-21-36.png

And added reference to this package at the [Project Folder]\Packages\manifest.json of the project:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.     "dependencies": {
    3.     "net.codestage.maintainer":"1.4.1"
    4.     }
    5. }
    That was enough to let Unity pick it up and compile as a Package Manager package.
    There is some issues with paths tho - my editor code is loading images manually and it didn't found them being executed from the such package, I believe this is because I used hacky way of detecting Maintainer folder with MonoScript.FromScriptableObject or like so, I didn't tried to figure out so far.
    Code itself works fine tho, the images paths is only one issue I saw in my case.

Corvwyn and scvnathan like this.
  5. dzamani

dzamani

Oh okay, I thought that you managed to add your own registry alongside unity's package registry.
    Still, it's nice to see that it's kinda working.

6. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dmitriy, nice find indeed. There are plans to open the package manager to our community, although for the time being, we will be using it to help us deliver the newest Unity features, iterating fixes and updates at a faster pace. This will allow us to build the reliable tools and processes around it to insure packages integrate seamlessly in every step of your development cycle. We are putting together a Package Manager Specific forum soon, stay tuned for news and information!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. optimise

optimise

@erick_unity, I would like to see package manager can support pulling repo like github so I can always check and get the latest update easily.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes please iron out all the niggly issues so when we finally get to use it too, it will be hopefully, problem free :D

optimise likes this.
  9. dzamani

dzamani

Well if we could just bypass any security on the registry url (the one you can change inside manifest.json) we could already have some things. I myself don't see how it could be an issue doing that early in the dev process but I guess that there is related issues to doing that.

10. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

optimise, Adding a package directly from git is on our list.