Search Unity

Feature Request Package Manager file path. HELP

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Fadda2005, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Fadda2005

Fadda2005

Hello everybody,
    I need a hand with the package manager. I would like to understand how to be able to change the file path where the assets are installed, as it continues to install them on a disk with little space. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Like most "app data" it is saved to the AppData directory which is in the user's home directory.
    See here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/package-manager-download-directory.1195678/#post-7644142

You cannot change that path. But you have some options to generally clear up that drive (particularly important since it most likely also hosts the Windows installation):
    • run the disk cleanup tool (eg on Windows: right-click on drive => properties => locate the disk cleanup tool)
    • uninstall programs and reinstall them on a different drive
    • find large folders/files with the help of tools like WizTree (Win) or Disk Inventory X (Mac) ... to find out where that space went
    I would recommend re-installing programs to a different drive. Specifically if you have game libraries such as Steam, Origin, Epic check these tools on how to relocate games to a different drive, at least Steam supports this without having to re-download the games.

3. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Fadda2005 ,

As of 2022.1, there are user Preferences to change the location of either/both the Asset Store .unitypackage cache ("My Assets") and the UPM package cache ("Packages"). You can find documentation on this in the Unity Manual.

Good news though: while the latest versions of 2021.3 and 2020.3 do not have those options in the Preferences window, they will apply custom cache paths you may have set via 2022.1+. This means that you change the locations via the UI in 2022.1+ without fear of doubling the cache size if you are also working on projects opened in 2020.3 (2020.3.37f1 or newer) or in 2021.3 (2021.3.6f1 or newer).

Note: the above settings only affect the shared global caches, which can grow over time. These caches save you from downloading the same content over and over when you have multiple projects using them, for instance. Packages and Asset Store content used in your project are copied under that project's folder (content from My Assets is imported into the project's Assets folder and content from Packages is copied to a folder under the project's Library folder).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022