Search Unity

Package Manager download speed ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by imjustthatguy1, May 21, 2022.

1. imjustthatguy1

imjustthatguy1

Good afternoon

I am writing this because I am frustrated with the performance of the package manager. I did my calculations and could see that an ~8-10GB File download should take ~130 seconds with 500mb download speed. The package manager, when downloading a file of 8-10GB file, has frozen my editor for almost 20 minutes now. I can't imagine having to bear this any longer especially with other packages of similar sizes. Is the performance of one of the most important tools a developer needs in order to build a video game being taken into consideration at Unity? Can there atleast be a cancel button limited? Or how about an alternative ability to download the packages locally to my desktop, instead of through this terribly slow process?

I cant tell which is worst, this or NuGet. Please find inspiration from Linux.

Attached is a screenshot of trying to download Ultimate SFX. The package content is ~8GB and is just a bunch of wav files being imported. 23 minutes? I cant imagine my Ryzen 9 being the bottleneck, nor my internet. Bad Package Manager.PNG

Thanks.

#Terrible #PackageManager #BadPackageManager #Inefficient #DeveloperTool #Important #Critical #SOS

2. soleron

soleron

Not sure this is related to the package manager.
    What is your connection speed??

Try downloading a similar size package from your browser. 8GB or so.
    Calculations do not mean much as our home wi-fi connection speed is never stable.

Nobody admits it, but Wi-Fi is actually a bad way to connect.
    And network speed and stability are always better and calculated on a wired connection.

Let alone when other stuff are running and perhaps downloading stuff. i.e. a driver update in the background, or a system update, or even watching a movie while downloading. Or even, other devices on our network doing the same.

It has always been fast for me, what usually takes time is the import process. All scripts being compiles etc etc.

3. KeeveHoo4454

KeeveHoo4454

I was just wanting to open my project and IT HAS BEEN BUSY FOR A LONG TIME!