Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Package Manager "assets store" is completely unusable for me due to VPN

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Hertzole, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hertzole

Hertzole

Hello

To my dismay, I noticed that you can no longer access the assets store from within the editor. You have to use the package manager. This creates problems for me because I use NordVPN at basically all times and Unity does not work well with NordVPN (not sure about other VPNs). Sure, I can just turn it off and that's what I have to do from time to time, but the fact that this is still an issue baffles me. I have to use OpenVPN just to even open Unity.
    Now to the newest issue; since day one package manager has "never worked" with a VPN. It downloads everything fine and I can update packages, search for packages, etc, but it always says I'm offline. I can't open up docs or changelogs on packages that are currently not installed because "I'm offline". Now, this issue leaps over to the new editor assets store. Because "I'm offline", I can't search for assets, and I can't download/update packages and thus have to turn off my VPN.

I'm dreaming of one day where this could get fixed...

And yes, I'm aware this is a very first-world problem, at least in my case. I'll continue to disable my VPN from time to time and go on, but it still annoys me. And I didn't mean this post to come off as harsh or anything, just telling it from a slightly annoyed perspective. :)

I also don't want this post to turn into a "why even use VPN" discussion.

IsDon and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  2. Jichaels

Jichaels

Can't you simply add exception to where unity connect/download the asset ? In a paid VPN, I'd be terrible if you can't do that

3. Hertzole

Hertzole

Nope, not in the VPN interface at least, which is quite the same. I haven't tried directly setting it in the firewall yet though because I don't know what locations to put there.

4. bugfinders

bugfinders

Ive had similar issues where the proxy server the company I work for uses isnt compatible with unity, everything else works (vs etc) but it cant contact the package manager or the asset store.

Hertzole likes this.
  5. IsDon

IsDon

I'm in a similar situation - "new" asset store has broken behind corp setup for almost a year now.

bugfinders likes this.
  6. transat

transat

If it’s any comfort... I’m not behind a VPN and can connect fine but still find the asset store package manager to be unusable. :)

Immu and IsDon like this.
  7. transat

transat

8. Hertzole

Hertzole

I've made a post on the package manager forum now. Link