Search Unity

Package Manager and some packages cause Unity to freeze after recompilation for couple seconds

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Muskson, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Muskson

Muskson

I recently switched from Unity 2018 to 2019 and noticed that sometimes Unity would freeze after script recompilation for a couple seconds in some of my projects. I couldn't find anything on this topic, but I finally figured out what was causing it.

I sometimes switch between different custom layouts in the editor and some of them have the Package Manager window pinned in there. Depending on installed packages, this was causing Unity to freeze for extra 3-12 seconds after each recompilation or build.

Some packages seem to be responsible for most of that freeze time - for example ProBuilder, ProGrids or FBX Exporter. With default packages installed it barely takes any additional time, though it's still noticable on my PC.

These freezes only happen when the Package Manager windows is open or pinned in the editor, closing it completely eliminated the problem. Hope this will help anyone with this issue, and that Unity Team will do something about it ;)

JasonBricco likes this.
  2. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello @Muskson
    Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    I have transferred the information to the team.

3. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    after verification, this seems to have been fixed in 2019.3's beta.
    If you still have that issue in subsequent versions, please do file a bug.