Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Package Manager and Project View

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Gru, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Gru

Gru

Hi, after installing 2018.2 beta I noticed the changes in Project view: Now Assets and Packages folders are shown. The Packages folder shows the Read-only packages with the context menu of normal assets. I have found this change extremely annoying, because it steals horizontal and vertical space, steals eye focus, and is useless to begin with since we have package manager UI and can't do any operations on this list. I would like to know if this is just for the beta version or is this a new direction for the Project view.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you can't browse the "Packages" content in the Project view, then showing them there seems indeed pointless.

Spartanash1 likes this.
  3. Gru

Gru

The content of the packages is browsable, but since the contents are read-only no context menu operations apply even though they are shown. If we wanted to browse the contents of the package (for whatever reason) we could do so via explorer or in another view that shows the proper context menu options (if any). It certainly isn't worth cluttering the project view with this because most of the time we don't want to browse this and it takes screen space all the time. And yes, I find the visual clutter significant.

Spartanash1 and Peter77 like this.
  4. JesOb

JesOb

I think its better to get rid of package manager UI and put all it abilities into project window, because I want to exactly know all assets the project consist of and be able to change, remove, add, update, unpack remote package into project to change it a bit and so on.

Additionally want to be able to see all code of packages in VisualStudio Solution for debuging purposes.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I would actually like to see an option for it.

I believe technical people like that, but I don't believe artists/animators/sound designers/etc like the idea to have to deal with more clutter.

6. steego

steego

I think the idea is to allow for accessing contents of packages in your project, for example to drag a script from there to your gameobject, or a prefab to a scene etc.

7. JesOb

JesOb

Additionally it seems like a bug when some package put its settings asset or special working resources into Assets Directory instead of Package Own Directory. e.g. ProBuilder right after importing creates "ProBuilder Data" directory under Assets. This behavior I call Clutter, Having ProBuilder directory alongside Assets and all ProbuilderSpecific and may be All Probuilder Created assets inside it I call Project Structure. So Assets directory always remains clear and structured and not depends on any imported asset.

alexzzzz likes this.
  8. Spartanash1

Spartanash1

Is there any way to hide the package folder in Assets or it not worth messing with since it is a beta?