Search Unity

Package Manager and Documentation unified search?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Cromfeli, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

How is the documentation for packages going to be searchable within the overall unity documentation system?

Is it so that each package will have own dedicated documentation without any cross reference to main documentation in terms of search visibility, if so, this will greatly degrade functionality discovery from bare bones editor to editor + packages functionality. Also this would be very detrimental for normal development when using new packages?

Just wondering o_O

2. jo-unity

jo-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Cromfeli

I'm from the docs team here at Unity. We are aware that we need a unified search and are working on a project to unify our docs output. Right now our package, manual, and API documentation all have a bit of a different publishing process, and we are working out the best way of uniting it all.

Unfortunately it's not an overnight fix: our docs run on old, disparate systems so we won't have a unified docs output happening any time soon.

However I wanted to let you know we are working on it and it's a priority for us. Sorry I can't give you any more exact info!

Cromfeli likes this.
  3. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

Thank you very much for the heads up so I can sleep my nights now, had horrors all the time about this :D