Search Unity

Feedback Package Manager and Assets from Asset Store

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Fedora_Dev, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Fedora_Dev

Fedora_Dev

Unity is now moving towards moving our assets from an Asset Store window to the package manager. This is a pretty good idea, however the general visuals of the package manager are a bit difficult to use if you have more than a few assets from the store. I would like to propose a few improvements.

1) Update the look on the left side to have more of an example of what the asset might be. Just having the Icon of the asset would be perfect.
    2) Folders. Let us organize our assets to make them easier to find in future projects.
    3) An option to switch between the two types of views. I know some people will probably want to keep the current view.

Here is what a before and after would look like using some known Unity UI designs.

2. mandisaw

mandisaw

I came to make my own UX suggestion, and add a vote to @Fedora_Dev 's.
    1. Release notes. This applies to all packages, regardless of source (Unity, Asset Store, personal/organization). An expandable section like the description uses would suffice.
    2. Folders +1. No icon previews - they aren't useful in most cases or at that size. The package.json descriptor file has included a category field since the beginning, so I assume this is already a feature in the pipeline.
    I really like the transition of "My Assets" over to Package Manager, as it is much faster-loading & stripped-down for efficiency. I use both Unity & custom packages extensively, and this just brings everything into the same ecosystem. It's a great tool.