Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Package manager 2020.20a9

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Lars-Steenhoff, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Who thought it was a good idea to increase the spacing in the listing?

I like to have a word please ;)

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 12.57.55.png Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 12.58.14.png

2. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @Lars-Steenhoff,

Thanks for your feedback. I will send this back to our team for evaluation, but feel free to direct any choice words towards me. I'll make sure they are heard! ;)

Cheers,

Marc-Saubion and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I just don't see why the increased spacing is needed, it takes even longer to scroll trough my 1567 assets with all that spacing.

something positive:
    I do like the new separator lines, they are more subtle than the old darker coloured lines.

4. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Unity Technologies

Understood. I'll share this with the team. I don't know what prompted the change, but I'll inquire.
    I will also share your positive feedback.

Cheers,

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

We are working on improving the display of package statuses (preview, in development, verified, ...). This iteration was mainly aimed at Packages: All view. We understand your point about having a hard time navigating through your 1500+ packages. Your feedback will definitely be taken into account to improve on future iterations.

Attached Files:

Marc-Saubion and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, I hope you can if you decide to increase the spacing to make it a user setting.
    My first priority when using package manager is importing assets from the asset store.

Things I need for that to work smooth:

• Load the whole list and keep it in memory.
    • Keep the old line spacing height. ( I can see double the amount of assets at one time. )
    • Make search more snappy ( search from memory not from the server )
    • Let me decide in settings if I want pagination or not

Marc-Saubion, soleron and pedro_unity like this.
  7. transat

transat

Chipping in to say that the changes aren't really working for me either. Despite the increased spacing it seems more cluttered visually. I do like the big orange preview though. Maybe include the green verified one when on a verified package. Then you're not just warning users about the dangers of preview packages but also encouraging them to stick to a curated set of super stable LTS-friendly packages... the verified ones.

Other thoughts... Ditch the version number from under the package names - I only want to know if I'm up to date and don't really need to see it until I've selected the package. Then ditch the dropdown arrow for each package but replace it with the icons you currently have below the package name (this confuses me). Instead of using a dropdown arrow, clicking anywhere between the package separator lines should trigger the dropdown for that package (as well as show the side panel). Ideally the change log would also be included in that side-panel instead of linked to, but that's not a huge deal.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  8. transat

transat

And please let us see more assets! With the new spacing 12 of my 1000+ assets get loaded. For anything more I need to click a bunch of times.

By the way, in dark mode, the dark-blue on dark-grey “100” that I need to click on probably doesn’t pass many accessibility tests. Maybe the lighter blue from the Hierarchy window would cause less eye strain.

Also, I really don’t know why you need a “25” option. If someone has less than 100 assets, they would rather see them all at once. If someone has more, they would also rather see them all at once but even if they didn’t they probably wouldn’t want to see them 25 assets at a time. Why not get rid of that and make “Load more” a button (if you truly feel compelled to have such a frustrating option)?

9. transat

transat

Please also make it so that my list doesn’t drop back to 12 I if load up 700 assets and import one of them. I would expect the list to remain at 700.
    This is another issue that would not exist if you just loaded up all of the assets rather than a few at a time.

10. transat

transat

More suggestions, @pedro_unity @huguesbonin ... why give us the exact same “release date” twice in the info panel (and a 3rd time in the asset list) while limiting us to the first 3 lines of the asset description? Consider only including that date once and dropping the full description to the bottom. The line spacing is off in the info-panel header, by the way.

Consider moving the “Assigned labels” to the top (or to the inspector panel?) If it’s going to be used for sorting purposes, then it’s best not to force people to scroll for it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes that pagination needs to be optional, for people on a slow connection,
    I just want to load the whole list at one time, and keep it in memory,
    How hard can that be?

12. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

transat and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  13. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Unity Technologies

The change is actually being done right now by the development team.

Cheers,

14. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

I couldn't agree more!

Jes28 likes this.
unityunity