Search Unity

Package has missing meta file

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Lichtone, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Lichtone

Lichtone

I had missing meta files in a package, and reimporting did not regenerate them. And since packages are not created by me, I did not know what to do to get the meta files. So what to do?

Solution:
    • I did go to console and right clicked on the package.
    • Then selected "open in explorer".
    • In windows explorer I deleted the complete package.
    • Then I reopened the project in Unity, and at package, I selected reimport all.

Conclusion:
    This was unfortunately the only way to make unity know that I needed new meta files.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Lichtone,

Can you tell us which package cause you this trouble? How many times did this happen?

And for why the meta file is not generated when you click *reimport all*, this is because the asset database *know* this is an immutable folder. It does not try to re-create meta files. It expects them to be there.

Regards,

Pascal

3. Lichtone

Lichtone

Thank you pascal.

Unfortunately this was the standard unity package and the text mesh pro package.

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Strange. These packages are shipped with their .meta files. Could it be these files were quarantine by an antivirus? Or they were erased by mistake? Which version of Unity are you using? Is this happened only once?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just reporting that com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.7 is missing CinemachineAPI.chw.meta, using 2018.3.0b1

6. JoelFortin

JoelFortin

Unity Technologies

Hi, I just verified the package's source code and all the .meta files are in there. Some .meta files was indeed missing from a previous release of Cinemachine package so it may be related to an old version in the cache that wasn't updated properly.

The steps described on top fixes the issue ... deleting the cache folder and re-install the package fixes the issue, it's not causing the creation of the .meta but simply unpack the current version the way it should, which contains the .meta files now.

Felipe_Albanez likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Right, everything in the package has a meta... but accessing Cinemachine help (CinemachineAPI.chm) makes Windows automatically create the CinemachineAPI.chw file (Help index file), thus the error:
    Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/CinemachineAPI.chw has no meta file.

8. JoelFortin

JoelFortin

Unity Technologies

You're right, the presence of .chm files in the packages shouldn't be allowed. The .chm file we're referring to has been removed from the package to avoid errors like that. The correct way to access the documentation is to use the Package Manager Window, clicking on the package you want and use the "View Documentation" link in the description. This will pop the official doc page for the package. From there, you'll have the "Manual" and "Scripting API" section.

9. MarcoPoloSteve

MarcoPoloSteve

Hi guys,

2019.2.0f1 (August 2019) the latest nunit package is currently missing its meta files in ../Tests/*

Note: for future people experiencing this issue: I stopped this error in my client by recreating my own .meta files using the same file names in this dir.

The AssetImporter will ignore the packages directory and so they must be distributed with the packages.

Cheers

Steve

10. Neil-Corre

Neil-Corre

Hi guys,

I did what @MarcoPoloSteve mentioned above. I created the .meta files inside the ../Tests/* . Then, I reimported the Custom NUnit folder under the Packages in the editor.

Thanks, Steve!