Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Package has been submitted using Unity 4.6.1, 5.3.0, and 5.6.0" [...], what does it mean exactly?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by silentneedle, Aug 2, 2017.

1. silentneedle

silentneedle

I see the following note on much assets on the store:

"Package has been submitted using Unity 4.6.1, 5.3.0, and 5.6.0 to improve compatibility within the range of these versions of Unity."

What does it mean exactly? Is it just a note that the asset has been tested with the mentioned versions? Or does it mean that there are different versions downloaded depending on the editor version you use?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Both

TonyLi and silentneedle like this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Note that while the publisher should have tested on all of those mentioned versions, I'm pretty sure the Asset Store folks at Unity typically only test on the highest version to approve submissions.

One thing that catches people is that Unity maintains a single cache folder on your machine for all Unity versions 5.x+. If you download an asset in Unity 5.3.0, the cache will contain the 5.3.0 version of the asset. If you then create a Unity 5.6.0 project and import the asset, it will import the 5.3.0 version from the cache, which may not be compatible with 5.6.0. The solution is to redownload the asset inside 5.6.0 so you get the right version of the asset.

silentneedle and hippocoder like this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is there a good reason Unity doesn't redownload per editor version for us?

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think there was a Feedback suggestion to do this, so I guess the reason is that not enough people voted for it.

6. midian808

midian808

Seeing as Unity still don't respect Windows profile rules "correctly"*, and stores the asset cache in the user's AppData folder (and hence, normally on the C Drive) anyone who uses a Solid State C drive is having their disk filled with gigabytes of "junk" as it is - if it kept versioned assets as well....

[ * IMHO the AppData folder is for configuration data, not for a (potentially) multi gigabyte repository. Profiles need to be kept to a small size so that roaming profiles work correctly (and don't chew up disk space) but that is a rant for another time ]