Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PATCH - Updating System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ManHunterITA, Jul 20, 2015.

1. teknic

teknic

Great. I'll give this a try :)

ManHunterITA likes this.
  2. Hydrargent

Hydrargent

Hi there ^_^

Everything's going fine here with P.A.T.C.H.

I just have 2 questions :
    - What if I want to remove older versions of my game on my FTP (let's say 0.0.0.0 and 0.0.0.1 for example) ? Is it ok if versions 0.0.0.2 and 0.0.0.3 stay put ?

- I'd like to understand how the auto-update works, because we need to set it up for our launcher. I already read some directives in your documentation, but (dumb guy here) it seemed a bit unclear to me. Could you please tell me what I need to do to set this up ?

Thanks a lot, and again, great job on this tool !

3. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi @MDHan1306

I'm happy you like P.A.T.C.H.!
    Let's answer your questions!

1) Builds exist on your server for two purposes: Installer and Repairer features.
    When a file is corrupted, P.A.T.C.H. is able to restore a fresh copy of it by looking at your remote build. In example, if your user can't patch his game because of a corrupted file, your Launcher can repair that file by download original file from your remote build.
    Instead, Installer feature needs only your latest build.
    You can remove all builds you prefer, they are on your server for these purposes. Of course, if you remove version 0.0.0.1 and an user still has that version, he will not able to repair.

2) Auto-update setup is really simple: before you create a new version of your game (by clicking "New version" button), just put in "patcher" folder your patcher and its files (Unity build or standalone build). So you are able to create your game version, make patches, etc.
    You need to put your patcher in that folder just a single time, it will not be deleted. Just remember: don't delete it from that folder, or your next build will have no patchers!
    To create an update, just replace your old patcher with new one in "patcher" folder and make a new game version (and a patch too).

I hope I helped you!

Best regards,
    Emanuele - MHLab

4. Hydrargent

Hydrargent

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
    I think i get it, now.

Just to be sure : in question n°2, we are talking about a non-embedded launcher, right ?

5. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Yeah, we are talking about non-embedded Launcher! An embedded patcher doesn't need an auto-updater, because it already updates itself!

6. slumtrimpet

slumtrimpet

I noticed on the development roadmap (http://mhlab.altervista.org/patch/PATCH - Documentation.pdf) that you list:
    "Test and fix on Android and iOS"

Curious... how close are you to implementing something that works on those targets as well as the existing desktop ones? I'm assuming that on the iOS side this would require an Enterprise-developer signed packaged... if it's even actually possible at all. (and that's fine if it does)

How much have you actually looked into getting that working on iOS and do you have any ETA on getting something running?

7. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi @slumtrimpet

support for Android and iOS wasn't planned (because I have no sufficient knownledge about how they work in detail). Since some users asked me for looking into this, I added this point to my roadmap.
    I already checked it for Android and I extrapolated two main parts I have to fight with: tests and fixes (as I wrote in my roadmap).
    Tests part is about main troubles I encountered:
    • APK content cannot be indexed by PatchBuilder, so P.A.T.C.H. at the moment (with current structure) can patch only APKs
    • If I decompress the APK, I have to rebuild the file signature (is this correct? I read this somewhere): how?
    • Android installs the APK content in various directories, spreaded over system
    • These directories (or a subset of them) are not writeable, so the patcher can't patch them with user's privileges (you have to root your phone to make them writeable)
    so these points represent something I have to test and solve.

Fixes part is about bugs I already know that will happen, in other words:
    • PatchBuilder has to recognize/parse files in APK and generate a correct index file, with correct information about paths
    • Internal paths settings have to be changed accordingly with paths contained in remote index file

These points are the same that I suggest to customers who want to try to make it work for Android.

Probably I will end up with a completely different P.A.T.C.H. addon, designed on purpose for those devices.

In previous analysis iOS is not included, because I haven't looked into an iOS device yet: probably there are a lot of additional troubles on both sides.

I haven't an ETA for this because of three main reasons:
    • this plugin was born for PC, Mac and Linux, so the whole software's structure reflects this choice and the main efforts will be focused on make this software the best for those platforms
    • I have already planned various addons with the help of beta testers on our public Discord channel
    • I develop this software in my free time, so I have to filter most important features to implement first, because my time is limited

TL;DR; yes, I intend to support Android and iOS in some way and I already made some research about this, but this isn't my main target at this moment because of some reasons

I hope I answered your questions in an acceptable way for you! If not, feel free to ask again!

Best regards,
    Emanuele - MHLab

8. slumtrimpet

slumtrimpet

Thanks for the thorough reply Emanuele, it sounds reasonable. Good luck to you!

ManHunterITA likes this.
  9. diegonatibes

diegonatibes

There is an error, many times when i make a new build it stops, just says "Patch build started" and stays like that forever, i have to make a new fresh build and drop all the others versions and start with 0 version.

10. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Uhm, I never heard of this issue. Can you give me more details? OS, Unity version, etc.
    If you can't build versions, try to close Patch Builder window and reopen it, so retry.

Let me know!

11. dannyb2100

dannyb2100

Hey @ManHunterITA (Emanuele)

I was wondering. Is it possible to add support for sftp?

ManHunterITA likes this.
  12. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

I'll add it to my roadmap :p

At the moment I should add a support for command line usage. In this way you can automatize builds and patches creation.

13. dannyb2100

dannyb2100

Thank you! :)
    On a side note.

Got a bug report! (Not sure where to post it? :) )
    The versions/patches/builds directory URL does not work when using HTTPS.

Get the following error: https://db.tt/yS1rVP7W

ManHunterITA likes this.
  14. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

You can post your bug report on my website (my issue tracker is hosted on it), on Discord channel or here.

I saw your error. Can I ask you which version of P.A.T.C.H. you are using? This error should be solved in v2.0.5.

15. rainman400

rainman400

Hey !

First of all, great job on making something like this. It is pretty damn awesome.

Is there any reason that the patcher would get stuck at "Downloading Index file for repair process" ?

I see nothing else pop up in the log file, and it has complete access to the index file online as well, so it shouldn't have problems reaching the file in any way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D

ManHunterITA likes this.
  16. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi,
    seems that you're using Unity version, but you did not switch your API Compatibility Level from ".NET 2.0 Subset" to ".NET 2.0". It is required to make some core classes work: the downloader is one of this classes.

Best regards,
    Emanuele - MHLab

rainman400 likes this.
  17. rainman400

rainman400

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. But yeah, I have changed it to ".NET 2.0". Is there any other reason that you could think of?

18. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Uhm, you should check also in output_log.txt (Unity's logs): scripting unhandled exceptions will be registered there.
    Let me know its content!

Also, if you can't find a solution, add me on Skype or join our Discord channel: we can plan a remote support session!

19. rainman400

rainman400

Ah, youre right! There it is

System.ArgumentException: Version string isn't valid
    at MHLab.PATCH.Version..ctor (System.String version) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have seen this error before, don't think i was able to solve it. This error comes up as soon as the downloading starts, when it is trying to download the index file.

20. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Ok, seems that a bad string is passed to Version constructor. Check your versions/indexes. They are probably wrong. :p

21. rainman400

rainman400

yeah thats why it is confusing. I did not change anything, version number or patch wise from the patcher. it works offline, just as soon as i try to do something online it gets stuck there. I will give it another go nonetheless :)

EDIT: Just confirmed that the same files work with local but not on server. Going to check out a few other options out.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    ManHunterITA likes this.
  22. hurleybird

hurleybird

Can you compress builds, or just patches?

23. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Currently, builds cannot be compressed because Repairer tool needs single files to allow your users to repair their corrupted files.
    Probably, in future, I will create a workaround for this! :p
    Patches are already compressed, I will add in future additional compression methods.

24. DCVolo

DCVolo

Hi,

I'm actually interested in this Asset, so before I do anything :>
    I have some questions with a scenario :

the game start with the unity launcher (I don't own the pro version)
    the first scene is a Login/Register scene
    then the second scene (actually) is the Main Menu

First question : Should I put the Patcher Scene before my first scene (login/register) or after it ?
    Second question : what are the advantage / disadvantage of each solution ?
    (I would prefer the players to login then to be able to download the update)

About the Patchs, I 'll read the documentation PDF, but i'll ask anyway:

scenario: There had been 5 updates

Third question : If the client version is 1.1 does it have to download every update (and install them one per one) ?
    4th question : Can I force the client to download the lastest update only ?

so being 1.1 ---updating-to---> 2.2 , this means that Server-Side there wont be every patch stored but only the latest.

25. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Actually, you have three possibilities with P.A.T.C.H.:
    - a standalone Launcher made with WPF or WinForms (external)
    - a standalone Launcher made with Unity (external)
    - an embedded Launcher made as Unity scene (embedded in your game)

Seems you're interested in third case. You can put your Launcher scene where you prefer, after or before your login scene. The only disadvantage I can think about is that if your patches contain changes on login scene, you will not see those changes until patches are applied. But, of course, you know your stuff. :p

If the client version is 1.1 and you have only linear patches created: yes, it needs to download all patches.
    Patches are binary diffs (so they contain only the difference of bytes between old file version and new file version), so they need to be applied to a specific file version. In example, if I create a patch for 1.2 to 1.3, it means that this patch can be applied only on 1.2 files' state to recreate 1.3 files' state.

You can of course force the client to download the latest patch with a trick:
    if you create a patch between 1.1 and 2.2, the client who will have 1.1 will download automaticly patch 1.1_2.2.

You have a Patch Builder to manage patches creation and builds creation.

Patches are usually small (depends of course on what you include), so my suggestion is to have on server side all linear patches: in this way you will avoid to your users a lot of headache! :p

DCVolo likes this.
  26. DCVolo

DCVolo

Thank you for this quick and pro reply ;)

I followed the Doc, at page 5/25
    "You can click on “Open workspace folder” to have a quick access to P.A.T.C.H.'s folder
    structure!"

So here come the first error :>

http://puu.sh/qUZN1/8cd94dc483.png etc etc
    located here : http://puu.sh/qUZNQ/6b5d747864.png

It is just because the Folder was not created ^^

EDIT : page 6 it's written that it should have created it

EDIT 2 : okay now I've clicked on Patch Builder every folders exist

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    ManHunterITA likes this.
  27. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Yeah, those folders are generated when you open Patch Builder. After that, you can click on "Open workspace folder": it is a useful shortcut! :)

28. DCVolo

DCVolo

This works well

and now it works I have more questions haha

I've used the integratedScene, but I don't understand one fact for now, when I "deploy" my application, this will create a Launcher.exe wich is not really wanted for me ( I know i can just delete it but i was wondering if it was normal and the result of the fact that you have probably focused on the external patcher )

a second thing :

There is an attribut in the GameObject Launcher called "App To Launch" wouldn't it be better just to write <Build> than <Build.exe> because of the different platforms ? (same for PATCH.exe)

29. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Deploy Tool is deprecated (I'm maintaining it just for users who still use it). Due to latest features added in P.A.T.C.H., Deploy Tool is no longer needed. You can simply ignore it and take your build under "builds" folder.

Yeah, it is better to name it "Build" instead of add ".exe" extension. I added extension as example, to allow users to know that they need to add extension too in that field.

30. DCVolo

DCVolo

Thanks again :)

I've noticed that the Upload FTP function is not working for me because of a limitation of 3 client, I know nothing about FTP with C# but the solution is to set a Limit number of simultaneous connections, best thing would be to use only one.

I think I'm done for today with Unity,
    I've explored your work and it's a beauty :)
    I made a slight change in Launcher.cs because i didn't need the menu (maybe Add that as an option idk)

you'll say " I'm glad you like it " but I'll answer " I'm glad you made it " :p

ManHunterITA likes this.
  31. DCVolo

DCVolo

Erm I Would like to Show the current version on my Main menu

But I haven't found anything yet to get that ( of course i could use the encrypted version but I'd rather show something that everyone is used to ), any suggestion ?

32. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

You can use instance method of LauncherManager: GetCurrentVersion().
    In your Launcher script your have an instance of LauncherManager: use it to call GetCurrentVersion! :)

33. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Hello, i seem to be getting an error, i had followed the setup video and all went well im using filezilla server to do my testing with

System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path "G:\Documents\Unity Projects\AirWay Defence\AirWayDefence\crazyfoxstudios.ddnsking.com\AirwayDefence\Buildsindex". ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "G:\Documents\Unity Projects\AirWay Defence\AirWayDefence\crazyfoxstudios.ddnsking.com\AirwayDefence\Buildsindex".
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x001be] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:292
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Net.FileWebRequest+FileWebStream..ctor (System.Net.FileWebRequest webRequest, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Net.FileWebRequest/FileWebStream:.ctor (System.Net.FileWebRequest,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
    at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

this seems to happen as soon as i open the launcher

it is also throwing an error about a Buildsindex but this file is never created

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  34. ottolb

ottolb

Hi,
    I just purchased the asset and it works well on Windows 10. Although I tried on Mac OSX El Captain it decompress all files on the same folder, it seems that it failed to create folders, like: Data, Frameworks, MacOS, etc. And didn't created the .app file.

Attached Files:

35. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

tried again this afternoon instead used the local server method you had used and it works perfectly fine, however when i try to do it through the server itself, it does not use the http:// tag since im using my IP address and noip to keep the dns updated to my current IP when it changes. could you please explain how i can get this working properly with filezilla server hosting the patches from home while i do testing.

36. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

You missed a "/" in your Builds URL."Buildsindex" isn't a file: it should be "Builds/index". :p

Uhm, I have a suspect on this. Did you create your OSX builds/patches on Windows? You should try to create your builds/patches for OSX on OSX directly.
    Windows deals with .app files differently.
    I already tried builds and patches generation on OSX El Capitan with no issues.

If you use Filezilla server, it means that you're using an FTP server. So you should set your launcher accordingly, so it can use ftp:// instead of http://.

RealSoftGames likes this.
  37. ottolb

ottolb

Hi,
    just build it on OSX everything went well, except that the downloaded file on /MACOS folder wasn't an executable. When I run terminal and use chmod +x on it, solves the problem and I can run the game.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Downloaded! - Version file was downloaded!
    2. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Installation completed!
    3. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Target: /Users/otto/Documents/Projects/Game/unity5-launcher/deploy/OSX/test-launcher - Dest: /Users/otto/Desktop/test-launcher - Shortcut.lnk
    4. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] The requested feature is not implemented.
    5. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Patching process is started!
    What do you think about that?

38. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Yeah, I solved this issue some time ago (you can see it some pages behind). It should be solved, you should have a method in your Launcher.cs named "EnsureExecutePrivileges". Check if it is correctly called in your launcher. If some bug happens, let me know. With your help I can fix this!

Code (CSharp):
    1. Downloaded! - Version file was downloaded!
    2. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Installation completed!
    3. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Target: /Users/otto/Documents/Projects/Game/unity5-launcher/deploy/OSX/test-launcher - Dest: /Users/otto/Desktop/test-launcher - Shortcut.lnk
    4. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] The requested feature is not implemented.
    5. [P.A.T.C.H. - 09/22/2016 16:02:28] Patching process is started!
    What do you think about that?[/QUOTE]
    This is about shortcut creation, it is a Windows only feature.

39. ottolb

ottolb

Hi Emanuele,
    yeah that function is called, the problem was that I wasn't using the ".app" extension when building. I would suggest to add a checker in EnsureExecutePrivileges method that adds the ".app" extension to file.

Thanks for the help!

ManHunterITA likes this.
  40. Burglecut_0001

Burglecut_0001

hi Emanuele,

I just purchased P.A.T.C.H and it looks great! I'm thinking about how to best integrate it with my project and have a couple questions for you:

1. I'm trying to decide between using the integrated and non-integrated launcher. From what I understand, the trade-offs are: Integrated launcher: slightly less hassle to update the launcher, and you don't have to do commandline argument checking to make sure the user is running an up-to-date game. Non-integrated launcher: can distribute the smaller file size launcher as the game executable/installer, and it will always download the latest build.

If that's correct, I think I'm leaning towards using the integrated launcher. But I've had some difficulties with other patching systems where patching fails to insufficient user write permissions in the application directory, or the inability to write due to a file being in use. So I'm wondering if you have thoughts on if the integrated or non-integrated launcher is more foolproof than the other? Is one more likely than the other to possibly fail, or are they both the same? I notice that you recommend that I run the launcher with Administrator privileges, however I'd rather not make my users need to do that when they run the game. I'm distributing for both Windows and OSX.

2. Do you have any suggestions on how to set the save paths used by the Patch Builder? For the launcher, I created a script that overrides the Launcher paths and executable names in its Awake() before the Launcher Start(). Is there something similar I can do to override the save paths used by the Patch Builder? I have several different kinds of builds that I want to keep separated in their own directories. The platform (Windows, OSX), the server type it connects with (release, staging, testing), update/patch server type (testing, deploy), all affect where I want to save out builds and patches.

It looks like I'd need to do something like this somewhere:

SettingsManager.APP_PATH = "/path/to/the/directory/I/want/to/use/for/this/build/type/";
    SettingsManager.RegeneratePaths();

I suppose I could make a custom edited version of PatchBuilderWindow.cs that sets the path to what I want. But for easier code maintenance, I'd prefer to be able to override the save path variable somehow without changing your code. (Sorry if this has an obvious answer, I haven't done much/any Editor scripting before, so I'm unfamiliar with how it works.)

thanks!
    Jon

ManHunterITA likes this.
  41. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Yeah, also:
    - integrated one can be compiled directly with the game on your chosen platform
    - external one is a .NET application, so you can basically custom it as your prefer. Also I added an automatic "Run as admin" in it.
    There is nothing to do if your user has no privileges to write/delete/move files in that folder. For this reason it needs to be ran as admin. In external launcher I added an app manifest to ensure admin privileges, but Unity doesn't allow this in their options. You can, by the way, merge an app manifest in your Unity build (the one with the integrated patcher).
    About locked files, they should be not a problem: P.A.T.C.H. is able to detect those locked files and edit them anyway.

SettingsManager contains only static fields, so you can change them when and where you prefer. The important thing, of course, is to change them before you call, as example, a method that uses those options contained in SettingsManager.

About different paths, yeah: I planned something like a branching model. So you can add a branch (a folder where you can place your builds/patches of a certain type).
    About different platforms, instead: seems you have to build your patches/builds on the specific OS. If I'm building a game for Mac, I have to build patches and builds on it. This due to OSs differences on files interpretation.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Best regards,
    Emanuele - MHLab

42. ibompuis

ibompuis

Hi,

Just puchased PATCH, everything work fine for patch but localization not work, when I clic on "Edit", editor windows is empty :

http://screencast.com/t/fN6QTLOuRIQ

[Localizatron 11/7/2016 5:34:21 PM]: Localization files loaded successfully![Localizatron 11/7/2016 5:34:24 PM]: Updated missing ref of deleted file

I use unity 5.4.2p3 Windows 10 build

Thanks,

ManHunterITA likes this.
  43. Yucked

Yucked

Hey any suggestions on what kind of hosting server I can use?:p
    I tried some free hosting ones such as AwardSpace but there is a file limit.:confused:
    Can I use google drive or something similar to host my files?:rolleyes:
    Keep up the good work ;)

ManHunterITA likes this.
  44. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

As we discussed privately, I think I will cut Localizatron out. I will replace it with a simple callback and each user can register his own localization method.

I really don't know: I usually host on Amazon or OVH. :p
    I also tried Altervista for testing purposes.

45. Yucked

Yucked

Did Altervista work?
    If not, can you please help me set the patcher up?
    I'm looking for a free host for the Patcher. I don't mind if it's limited.
    I've tried:
    Onedrive
    Google Drive
    SaberCathost
    001x webhost
    awardspace

almost all free services.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  46. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Altervista worked for me!

Yucked likes this.
  47. Yucked

Yucked

Uh how??? I just tried it last night and couldn't figure it out at all. Tried to upload files but some files were missing from the builds directory.
    Can you make a tutorial or a quick video about it? I will really appreciate it.

48. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Remember that Altervista has an integrated Cloudflare caching system. If you upload files, that cache system will serve old version of them until the cache isn't expired.
    You need to clear the cache from their admin panel when you upload new files that replace old ones!

49. Yucked

Yucked

Is this where I'm supposed to upload my files?
    http://vvcap.com/vAFtYrLdRYC

50. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

That's Wordpress Admin Panel... It's not related on what we are talking about.
    You can just upload them in your web space root.