Search Unity

PATCH - Updating System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ManHunterITA, Jul 20, 2015.

1. VRHorn

VRHorn

Bought today your plugin and I'm really happy so far. But when I open the net launcher src projekt I get this unresolved Reference error:
    Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Warning The referenced component 'PATCH_Core' could not be found. PATCH_Launcher
    This causes more errors. Any suggestions?

Regards

ManHunterITA likes this.
  2. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

I'm happy you're enjoying my software! A new shining release is coming! Stay tuned!

Regarding your issue: it is really simple to solve. Delete PATCH_Core reference and add a reference to MHLab.PATCH.dll (the one in your Unity Project, MHLab/PATCH/Plugins).
    This will make the trick!

3. VRHorn

VRHorn

Wow! thx for the fast response! The problem is solved and I'm happy ;)

ManHunterITA likes this.
  4. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Version 2.0.5 is now out! Check it out on Asset Store!

5. Dozens

Dozens

Is there any kind of tutorial for this asset? I cannot seem to find one anywhere...

6. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

For now you can refer to new documentation or you can contact me directly for a live support (TeamViewer/Supremo sessions too!).
    I planned some tutorial videos, I will make them as soon as I can!

Best regards,
    Emanuele

7. Dozens

Dozens

ManHunterITA likes this.
  8. Dozens

Dozens

Okay, I made 2 versions as well as the patch, how would I go about making a launcher for it?

9. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

You can proceed in two ways:
    - create your launcher with Unity GUI
    - create your launcher with WPF or WinForms (in the package you can find WinForms sources, I created also WPF example, I will include it in next release)

Follow the documentation for more details! Write here again if you have other questions! :)

Best regards,
    Emanuele

10. Dozens

Dozens

I made the patcher and it patches (I guess). The problem is that it patches over and over again, and I can never play my game. Do you have a fix?

ManHunterITA likes this.
  11. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Probably it is a misconfiguration!
    Try to read again the doc and follow all steps! If you still have problems, add me on Skype or join Discord group!
    I will help you, also with TeamViewer if needed!

Best regards,
    Emanuele

12. Dozens

Dozens

Hey! I just fixed it sorta... I can now patch the client, and then the game will run and everything works fine, but whenever I release a new patch and attempt to patch the client again, it stays with the old version. Any fixes?

13. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Did you uploaded a build or a patch? :p

14. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

P.A.T.C.H. is on sale today! Save 35% of its cost by purchasing it now! :)

15. Dozens

Dozens

I finally got it working! I don't know why it didn't work in the first place though. Thanks :)

But, I do have 1 problem... The user can still launch the game from the game's .exe file and not have to use the launcher, so they don't necessarily run the latest version.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    ManHunterITA likes this.
  16. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

For this purpose you have a CommandLineChecker script included in my package! Check it out!

17. Sargonius

Sargonius

Amazing system! Bought it today and I'm happy :)

For some reason I can't connect to my ftp server, got "No such host is known." error. But for now I can upload patches in manual mode.

Do you plan to implement launcher patch notes, so users can see what has changed from previous version?

ManHunterITA likes this.
  18. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

I should do it, effectively! Another user already asked for it some time ago!
    I will add it to my roadmap!

19. Sargonius

Sargonius

That's great!
    Another question - is it possible to update launcher somehow via launcher itself? If I understood everything right, I must build a launcher.exe as a separate application and send it to end-user. But how to update launcher automatically? :)

20. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

In next release (2.0.6) this feature will be available, with in-game embedded patcher too!

Sargonius likes this.
  21. Nqzuoshou_2014

Nqzuoshou_2014

when I want build a ipa on mac

Assets/MHLab/PATCH/Source/Launcher/Scripts/Launcher.cs(439,62): error CS0103: The name `Assembly' does not exist in the current context

22. PeterShoferistov

PeterShoferistov

Hi.
    Few questions here:
    1. Is it possible to show the launcher only if there will be any new version available on my ftp server? I don't want it to be shown if the game was already patched to the latest version.
    2. Will there be any problems if I'll want to build the game for the unsupported platforms (Android, iOS). Do I need to turn it off somehow or delete? Or I can build the game as it is?
    Thanks.

23. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Never heard of this issue for Mac users. Are you sure you switched your API Compatibility Level from ".NET 2.0 Subset" to ".NET 2.0"?
    1. Yes, you can automaticly start your game after patcher checkings: if you have no patches this process will be fast enough.
    2. You can build the game as it is, just don't include the launcher.

24. Nqzuoshou_2014

Nqzuoshou_2014

if you fix it on iOS and Android ! you are my hero!;)

ManHunterITA likes this.
  25. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Try inputting the host without the "ftp://" part. When I used "ftp://hostname", I also got "No such host is known" but using the "hostname" by itself seems to connect just fine.

ManHunterITA likes this.
  26. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

This is correct.

In example:
    ftp://ftp.yourhostname.com
    ftp:// > protocol
    ftp.yourhostname.com > host

27. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

@ManHunterITA

Is it possible to make the details in the Deploy section (Compression Type, Platform Launcher scene, etc...) save whenever they are changed? Because currently it's a bit of a pain to keep reinputting them every time I close the P.A.T.C.H. editor window.

Thanks!

hopeful and ManHunterITA like this.
  28. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Of course, it is possible! I will do it! :)

dreasgrech likes this.
  29. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Hi @ManHunterITA ,
    We've recently purchased P.A.T.C.H. - Ultimate Patching System [FULL] and today I started working a bit with it.

I have a couple of questions / feature requests:
    1. Currently, the Launcher only downloads one file at a time from the FTP server where I'm hosting the builds.
      Would it be possible to make it download multiple files simultaneously?

2. I noticed that the Launcher connects and disconnects from the FTP server for each file it downloads. Can it be done so that one connection is opened and the files are downloaded during that connection, instead of having the Launcher keep connecting and disconnecting from the FTP?
      This is because a lot of connects/disconnects can cause the FTP server to bog down, especially when there are hundreds of people downloading a build at the same time.

3. Is it possible for the Launcher scene to show which version is currently installed and which version is the Launcher downloading while repairing / patching?

4. I encountered a problem where a file called "Lzma#.dll" was unable to be downloaded from my FTP server. with the Launcher. I suspect this is probably an issue because of the # in the file name.

5. I also noticed that sometimes the FTP connection stays open to the FTP server after files are uploaded from the PATCH Editor Window, instead of getting closed afterwards.

6. It would be great if the PATCH Editor Window allowed you to build the Launcher separately, instead of building the Launcher along with a compression of the entire build. This is because since our "Game_Data" folder ~2GB, the Deploy option takes ~30 minutes to complete since it also compresses the main build files.

7. Could the version numbers text boxes' width be increased so that larger numbers can be inputted in the PATCH Editor Window?

upload_2016-3-25_3-38-15.png
    Thanks!

// Dreas.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    ManHunterITA likes this.
  30. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

For now I didn't scheduled a multiple cuncurrent downloads system, but it can be a nice idea for the future.

This is reasonable, I will provide an option to accomplish your request.

You can call LauncherManager.GetCurrentVersion() method on the instance of LauncherManager. It will return the current installed version.
    Also, there are no methods yet to retrieve the version currently processed. I will create a callback for this.

Your files contains a web unsafe character. The "#" character is used in URLs to identify an anchor ID.
    Said that, P.A.T.C.H.'s downloader downloads files thanks to web requests: probably your unsafe character is badly interpreted by internal requests.
    My suggestion is to edit that filename.

I will surely check it!

To build a single Launcher, you can still use normal Unity Build feature!

Of course! I will edit them!

Thank you for your advices!
    I will include them in next release!

Best regards,
    Emanuele

dreasgrech likes this.
  31. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Thanks for your reply!

I encountered an issue now where first I made a build version 0.1.5928.5056 and then a few moments later, I created a later build version 0.1.5928.25723 (these version numbers are from .Net's Version class), but according to the PATCH Editor window, my latest build is still the .5056 instead of the .25723.

Would it be possible to make the build/patch version sorting work such that *.*.*.5056 < *.*.*.25723?

Thanks!

32. andyz

andyz

I think a few things need fixing in this - only starting to use it now, trying to use standalone version as importing into our project immediately led to errors if we switched to web player build or if on standalone we used ToList<> which seems to have been extended leading to an error about which version to use (best avoid these errors on import).

The standalone version seems OK but the grey colors used are too dark on my monitor - there is little contrast between the buttons and background.
    Also BTW you can crash the standalone patcher by hitting 'New version' when current folder is empty (perhaps disable it or mark it red?)!

ManHunterITA likes this.
  33. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Thank you for your report!
    I will fix these issues as soon as I can! :)

If you need something else, feel free to add me on Skype or join official Discord group!

34. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Hi,

I'm trying to figure this out.

It stalls on upload, shouldn't the correct path for it to search be \PATCH\builds\ etc instead of \PATCH\Plugins\builds\ etc
    or did I do something wrong when assembling it?

edit: seems I couldn't get it to make a patcher.zip with the deploy button either. It doesn't stall, its just nothing in the deploy folder other than the build.

it also tried to upload the patcher from PATCH\Plugins\builds

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  35. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Seems an error with paths, because the correct path isn't located in your project, but it's located in P.A.T.C.H.'s workspace.
    Are you on Mac?

I probably fixed it in my next release, but for now try to upload your files manually on your host.

Regarding patcher.zip: it isn't generated yet by deploy manager. This because I want to fully allow that feature in 2.0.6. To patch the Launcher you will need a particular workaround for Windows, because running files cannot be edited and you will have an error.

I created this workaround in 2.0.6 release, but I'm adding a lot of new stuff and I'm fixing all errors that customers are reporting me before I release it.

Add me on Skype if you want to try those fixes!

36. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Some updates of this night!
    I'm creating a new standalone version, this time with WPF and compatible with .NET 3.5 or above.
    This new standalone Launcher includes new features like news system, patch notes and options.
    Options will include some tools and settings for your Launcher, like "Force repairing" et similia.
    I'm also including bug fixes for reported issues!

News and patch notes are entirely HTML, CSS and Javascript compatible, so you can customize them how you want!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    k1, Bartolomeus755 and hopeful like this.
  37. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Also Options windows is done, with new "Force repair" feature that allows your players to recheck their clients with the last available remote build, when their client is damaged and cannot be repaired for some reason.

I will be happy if someone want to suggest some other options/tools to add in this window! :)

hopeful likes this.
  38. hejaaa

hejaaa

Uff, first example that I run from package, is wrong...

Attached Files:

39. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

That code is from Localizatron's example scene... You don't need it for your Launcher...

40. hejaaa

hejaaa

Of course, but this not make good feeling from project

41. LoftyTheMetroid

LoftyTheMetroid

So, this seems like a really, really great product. The editor window and workflow seem very smooth once the parameters are set correctly and everything is in place. However, I can definitely relate to some of the cons mentioned in William's review in the asset store, namely the following:
    On the first point, I have a really weak background in FTP, so I was fumbling my way around trying to determine if my issues were with my FTP setup, my parameters within P.A.T.C.H., or possible bugs within P.A.T.C.H. itself. Little things were tripping me up, like having the remote path /PatchTest/builds (as is formatted in the documentation) instead of PatchTest/builds. With the help of a coworker, I was eventually able to get things uploading locally for testing purposes, but it was a little frustrating. (However, I did notice that my uploaded build cannot be opened, while the original build could and played fine. Is this expected behavior...?)

On the second point, I'm still having trouble and have yet to get a working demo of P.A.T.C.H. on my machine. (I can send you a zip of the project if you think you could look at my setup and point me in the right direction.) I've got two builds, V1 and V2, and the only differences are an extra texture and a new script. I've generated a patch from V1 to V2, and I've placed V1 and the patch in localhost folders via FTP.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to deploy the launcher and get it all working together. Referencing the first of the two given launcher scenes, I hit the "Deploy" button and my console printed "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object." A zip was still produced, but after opening it, the launcher did not seem to do anything. (I also don't understand the value of uploading the launcher itself via FTP. Doesn't the user need the launcher file in the first place? What is this used for?) I don't know if it's related, but there's also an "Update Scenes" button in the Deploy section that I didn't see an explanation for in the documentation...?

Regardless, I definitely think this product could use much more explicit documentation and examples. The walkthrough video you mentioned would help tremendously, but I could see value in a demo project as well. For a product like this, I think you want users to have a functional proof-of-concept as soon as possible, one that can also serve as a reference point for modification and adapting to their own project. Otherwise, when issues crop up, it's going to be easier for users to blame the product than correct any misunderstandings they might have.

If these kinds of issues were cleaned up, I think you'd be golden. The underlying product seems very powerful, well-designed, and easy-to-use once things get going.

ManHunterITA and hopeful like this.
  42. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Thank you for your review! I really appreciate constructive criticism!
    If you still have issues, I can help you on TeamViewer! In 20 minutes we can learn together how to use my software! :)

I'm not a good teacher, so my documentations are a little bit "complicated". :p
    I'm trying to improve them based on my customers' reviews!

The remote Launcher is intended for self-patching purposes, but I noticed a bug in its behaviour: so a bugfix will be released with 2.0.6! I think I will introduce an explanation about it on doc!

About the video: I want to make it as soon as I can, but I'm focusing on bugfixes at the moment for obvious reasons!
    If someone of you want to help me with documentation part (including videos, tutorials or something else you think I should add to help customers) I appreciate this type of help!

Thank you again!

43. LoftyTheMetroid

LoftyTheMetroid

If you don't mind, that would be great if you could help me through TeamViewer! I feel like I must be very close to a correct setup and just have a few small mistakes.

I'll message you and see if we can arrange a time.

ManHunterITA likes this.
  44. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

45. LoftyTheMetroid

LoftyTheMetroid

Thanks again for helping us, and sorry we kept you a bit. Here's a Dropbox link containing all of the relevant files we worked with today, so you can sift through that in case there's anything you need. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

Dropbox Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62537408/PatchTest Files.zip

ManHunterITA likes this.
  46. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Thank you!
    Can you tell me which version of Mac OS you're working on?

47. LoftyTheMetroid

LoftyTheMetroid

I'm on OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.4

48. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Does this work to patch project builds for Android and iOS games?

49. LoftyTheMetroid

LoftyTheMetroid

Any news or updates on the OSX compatibility?

50. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

No, I'm sorry: support for Android and iOS games isn't included in P.A.T.C.H.!
    Not yet! I will let you know as soon as I can!
    I tried on El Capitan (10.11): the workflow is smooth as it should be, but when I run the game it ends up in a "The application cannot be opened".
    Now it's time to check why this happens :p

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Ultroman likes this.