Search Unity

Overtorque Stunt Racing

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by drJones, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drJones

drJones

Hello again!

After having to take three years off from game production we have finally returned and finished our first game (it was actually finished around thanksgiving but that is another story : )

It seems kinda moot to release as a web player at this point in time but we've been developing in a vacuum for so long we decided to put it out and get some feedback and exposure while I finish the full downloadable version.

Actual development time was somewhere in the range of 7-9 months (too long!), done in bits pieces over a time span of almost exactly 4 years. In general I'm happy with the game itself but we've made so many noob mistakes along the way (not the least of which was picking a game as complex as this for our first project!) its been quite frustrating. Still, I'm excited to move on and start with other projects - mobile dev in particular - once the full version is released.

Anyway, enjoy! Thanks so much to Unity the forum community : )

http://www.kongregate.com/games/doctahJonez/overtorque-stunt-racing

http://www.wooglie.com/games/Racing/Overtorque-Stunt-Racing

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2018
  2. TiG

TiG

Very nice game. Opponents are far too quick. Otherwise very good in many aspects.

3. rextr09

rextr09

it combines good physics with easy control. Very smooth gameplay and gives the sense of speed very well. Good job.

4. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

WOW I love it! Fantastic game! Nice job, really slick in every way.. I'll definitely be playing more!

5. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

the Wedge GT really reminds me of another car, can't quite put a finger on it though : )
    Nice game!

6. kablammyman

kablammyman

i fell off the track on early on (2nd or 3rd turn) and I didnt know how to get back on at the proper spot. It didnt matter, since the ai cars were too far gone.

other than that, its kinda cool

7. drJones

drJones

thanks guys! yeah, by far the two most common bits of feedback are that people love interceptor and the race mode is way too hard to start. still figuring our the best way to fix that : )

8. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Personally, I didn't have a problem with the race mode and I came 1st in all three races, first time I played. Saying that, I do play a LOT of racing games so it was fairly easy for me to find the drift angles and keep up with / beat the AI cars.

One solution might be to count the number of races the player completes, slap that into a PlayerPref then slow down the AI cars for the first x number of races. That way, newcomers get to win easily but if they go back and try the races again the AI won't be so easy on them :) Just a thought...

Again, nice work. I just really want to full screen it now and I hate that the game sites restrict that!!

Cheers!

9. bobbert234

bobbert234

Very nice game. I would buy this on the Mac app store for example.

The cars handle very good, tight on low speeds, yet they dont flip at 250 mph sharp turns. How do you do this regarding wheel friction/steering or do you use torque on the whole car? I also noticed the center of mass/rotation maybe changed when I steered in air. What is your secret? :)

10. kablammyman

kablammyman

just add a respawn option for the race when you fall off the track/world, and i can do the rest.

11. Train

Train

Wauw...thats cool, i drive with my selected car and the movement is really good. Thumbs up!

12. drJones

drJones

@psychicparrot: unfortunately my AI setup is quite brittle, because they have to actually make the jumps tight turns their performance is dialed into the tracks so just making them slower with a global setting will screw things up. mostly people don't like how unforgiving the races are if you mess up once, and i agree. i'm still working on a few band-aid fixes for the time being. amazingly kongregate allows fullscreen now, i'm testing it out already. thanks again! : )

@bobbert: the whole car is torqued, my script is a pretty heavily modified version of the vehicle example script from a while ago. i stripped out the wheel colliders : ) you are correct the CoG is set low on ground (the primary way to lessen flipping) and centered in air, otherwise the air control looks really strange.

@kablammyman: hit 'R' for reset, you get three per race (reset also gives you full boost) unless you are in chicken mode which has no resets.

thanks!

13. TiG

TiG

I started to love this game, played hours of interceptor mode in the recent days :) .
    It would be very nice to be able to play that mode with other cars. Also a fixed rear mirror would be great.
    I google the game today and a weird website showed up. It is such an irrelevant website that I thought they might have obtained your game via some unwanted ways and I thought you should be aware.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2018
  14. drJones

drJones

thanks tig! using only one car in interceptor and hot dog was a practical choice - the speed difference between the low and high end cars is pretty extreme - in playtesting we found that keeping the performance consistent in these modes allows players to easier hit the markers and chase/ram the other cars.

rear mirror option will most likely be added to the full version.

yeah we've been seeing a lot of these sites, thanks i'll add it to my list : )

15. omarzonex

omarzonex

WooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW

Beautiful Man ......... Very Very Very Beautiful

Very Nice Power Car

and iA Realistic

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  16. TiG

TiG

I believe there are ways to resitrict the webplayer to work from certain servers only. So you can keep people from stealing your work.

Also the reason I want to play that mode with different cars is that I don't like the car that the car is inspired from :) others are much more beatiful for me. Maybe you can set the other cars to same performace and make them available.

17. Heu

Heu

OMG this is so fun! Lol

**I found something, if you repeatly tap space for a boost, you can get some big air, so big you can fall out of the map if you hug the restriction walls! :D SO FUN

18. drJones

drJones

@omar - thanks!

@tig - i have the basic sitelock checks in there but it doesn't seem to be much of a hindrance (unless of course i'm doing it wrong - who knows : )

@heu - thanks! i've never seen that before i'll have to see if I can replicate it. We've noticed you can fall through the bottom of the terrain if jumping from very high into the central basin - i think its because the terrain collider is thinnest at that point (its pretty rare though).

19. DEtH_MoroZ

DEtH_MoroZ

When i am lurking at Konregrate i allways check this game, and there are some really nice improvements with car's phyics :)
    Good job, keep it up!

20. softwizz

softwizz

At last! a driving game where the car doesn't slide about as though on ice at the first corner.

Love the car control.

Awesome game and GUI.

21. drJones

drJones

thanks guys! i'm working hard on the next version now : )

22. Ravel

Ravel

I like it!

23. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

i m laughing i just had a go on that!!! ill be brutally honest... physics... awesome, gameplay, awesome, stunts, awesome, opponents, crazy fast, landscape for power ups and shaks to crash into... no power ups and wood things to drive the car at, landscape awesome for a stunts thing, care, great, gui great, kind of lo fi non artistic aesthetic to the textures, but i still love the road and the mountains they have a good aura to them. great game. most arcade games extend interaction potential by using crazy noise responses to any wacky interactions, it's good to be able to mess with something and it makes all weird sounds like random interactions. ok see you!

24. Shigidy

Shigidy

Nice to see the guy who made this game. Play it all the time at wooglie.

25. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

This is really really good with a controller.

26. cnnbsedm

cnnbsedm

Yes, I share very nice. Websites are great. But for a long time been able to have a game that is my favorite. Includes beautiful car racing. Very exciting races. I think is an excellent game :) http://www.arabaoyun.com/3d-ekstrem-yaris-2.html

27. brazierp

brazierp

Anyone else having troubles with Overtorque Stunt Racing? Loads but goes blank when pressing play. Seems to have happened since a unity update??

28. FancyTurtle

FancyTurtle

Every website I try the screen goes black once I click play, help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.