Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Overriding 2D bone animations

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Zephus, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Zephus

Zephus

Is there any way to ignore the character rig for certain animations? For example, let's say I'm using the rig from the package samples:

I've animated the pose, and now I want to make her eyes blink (which are on a separate GameObject). So I try to scale them down, but it just doesn't work, as the entire character is solely controlled by the rig.

How do I animate certain parts of the character separately from the bone animations? I could give you dozens of examples I came across, and I can't find any way to animate what I want once the character has been rigged. Sometimes I just want to animate parts of the character without using the bones, especially for squashing and stretching motions. Is this impossible?

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @Zephus,
    If we look at Fei.psb in the 4 Character example, you can see that we have not associated any bones to the staff. This allows the staff to be rendered in a "normal" fashion without any deformation. You should be able to use this technique to animate the eyes the way you described.

Zephus likes this.