Search Unity

Bug Override with JEXL expression not working

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by tessellation, Mar 3, 2023.

1. tessellation

tessellation

This works with Javascript to compare an int with a string, but doesn't seem to work in JEXL when I test this in our app with build number "129"

I'm assuming the Remote Config runtime creates this unity JSON: { "appBuildVersion": "129" }

So the Override has JEXL condition: unity.appBuildVersion > 127

However, the Remote Config keys are not being correctly overridden on Android. The Simulation Tool isn't working at the moment so I can only test this on Android builds. What am I doing wrong?

2. tessellation

tessellation

I found the problem. I looked at the latest Remote Config Runtime v3.1.3 package code in the ConfigManagerImpl.UnityAttributes class and it never sets "appBuildVersion!" So the JEXL documentation seems sorely outdated (missing many properties that are set in UnityAttributes) and the code doesn't match the document (appBuildVersion missing). This means the simulation misleadingly works because it has developers manually enter the 'unity' attributes JSON, whereas obviously the app generates it in the code.

3. vd_unity

vd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @tessellation, thanks for pointing this out!
    JEXL documentation is indeed outdated, and it will be soon corrected, for what is worth, I just checked current attributes sent by RC, which could be JEXL utilized:

"attributes": {
    "unity": {
    "osVersion": "Mac OS X 11.6.0",
    "appVersion": "0.1",
    "rootedJailbroken": false,
    "model": "MacBookPro16,1",
    "cpu": "Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz",
    "cpuCount": 16,
    "cpuFrequency": 2300,
    "ram": 32768,
    "vram": 8176,
    "screen": "3584 x 2240 @ 60Hz",
    "dpi": 264,
    "language": "en",
    "appName": "com.DefaultCompany.rotatingCube",
    "appInstallMode": "Editor",
    "appInstallStore": "",
    "graphicsDeviceId": 0,
    "graphicsDeviceVendorId": 0,
    "graphicsName": "AMD Radeon Pro 5500M",
    "graphicsDeviceVendor": "Apple",
    "graphicsVersion": "Metal",
    "graphicsShader": 50,
    "maxTextureSize": 16384,
    "platform": "OSXEditor"
    }

Any of those keys can be used, but as you correctly stated, appBuildVersion key does not exist, closest to it is probably appVersion.

This will be corrected from the docs

4. tessellation

tessellation

Feature Request: add a JEXL method to compare compound version number strings like VersionIsAtLeast(unity.appVersion, "1.24.8") So anything greater than 2 for the first part works or if a "1" then second part must be 24 or more and if 24 then the 3rd part must be 8 or more. Etc if there are more parts.

Build numbers are nice because you can just do a simple > or < integer comparison. For now we are passing the build number in the app configuration but we're having to jump through a lot of hoops to get the build number (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/get-build-number-from-a-script.641725/#post-8857090).