Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Override Transform relative rotation mix

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by Spyjack83, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Spyjack83

Spyjack83

Good day Unity Developer,

I have a suggestion for an additional Transform Override feature that could help many game developers to create a constrain and keep the animation. Constrains always have the disadvantage that they block the animation. It must somehow be possible to create Constrains without overwriting the animation?

For example simple character aiming. Keep it´s imported aiming pose and still be able to rotate the upper body controlled by mouse. So maybe an override source that creates a relative mix.
    Pivot-based Transform Override, has almost the right approach, because it can keep the imported animation, but its rotated in local space in the animated offset character pose.

How it had to be done so far:
    It gives the solution to push empty child objects in the LateUpdate () between the Bone hierarchy, as a starting point without twisting the upper body animation. The animation remains as it is, visually nothing has changed, with the difference the controller child is controlled by the player input.

Suggested goal:
    Achieved the same result, as described above, but with the diffrent to maintain the bone hierarchy as it was imported.

A much more professional way of course is to use IK, but this is more complicated to handle. Especially when it comes to when the character is no longer aiming but should still have upper body control.

Maybe there is already such a solution, but I have not been able to find it or realize it myself.

Best regards

2. davehunt_unity

davehunt_unity

Unity Technologies

3. Spyjack83

Spyjack83

Hello davehunt,

I will test it again after your instructions. I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks!