Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Override 'Blend Weights' in quality settings for a single animator?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by hungrybelome, Apr 2, 2019.

1. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

For my mobile game most of my skinned mesh renderers are fine with 2 bone blending, but I have one rig that needs 4 bone blending, otherwise a lot of artifacts occur. I really want to stick with 2 bone blending as the default for the sake of performance.

Is there a way to override the Quality Settings Blend Weights for a single Animator?

Thanks!

*EDIT*

D'oh! You can override it with the SkinnedMeshRenderer.Quality field.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Kybernetik likes this.
  2. Milo_del_mal

Milo_del_mal

It is not working for me. Is there anything else you did by any chance? I am on the same issue.

3. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Sorry, I don't remember doing anything other than that.

4. Milo_del_mal

Milo_del_mal

Yeah, it seems like Unity 2019 and up, the skinned mesh renderer is not working as expected, already submitted a bug report.

5. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

So I had to deal with this again today in Unity 2019.3, and it seems that you cannot override above the max bone weights set in Quality Settings. So if you set 1 bones max in Quality Settings, you cannot override a SMR to use 4 bones. But you CAN override in a SMR's quality settings if the bone count is lower than in Quality Settings. So right now I am settings max bones to 4 in Quality Settings, and then manually assigning low priority SMR bones to 1/2, which seems to work.

unityunity