Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Override 'Blend Weights' in quality settings for a single animator?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by hungrybelome, Apr 2, 2019.

1. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

For my mobile game most of my skinned mesh renderers are fine with 2 bone blending, but I have one rig that needs 4 bone blending, otherwise a lot of artifacts occur. I really want to stick with 2 bone blending as the default for the sake of performance.

Is there a way to override the Quality Settings Blend Weights for a single Animator?

Thanks!

*EDIT*

D'oh! You can override it with the SkinnedMeshRenderer.Quality field.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Kybernetik likes this.
  2. Milo_del_mal

Milo_del_mal

It is not working for me. Is there anything else you did by any chance? I am on the same issue.

3. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Sorry, I don't remember doing anything other than that.

4. Milo_del_mal

Milo_del_mal

Yeah, it seems like Unity 2019 and up, the skinned mesh renderer is not working as expected, already submitted a bug report.

5. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

So I had to deal with this again today in Unity 2019.3, and it seems that you cannot override above the max bone weights set in Quality Settings. So if you set 1 bones max in Quality Settings, you cannot override a SMR to use 4 bones. But you CAN override in a SMR's quality settings if the bone count is lower than in Quality Settings. So right now I am settings max bones to 4 in Quality Settings, and then manually assigning low priority SMR bones to 1/2, which seems to work.