Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Feature Request Override an "action", NOT a "binding"

Discussion in 'Input System' started by CaseyHofland, May 13, 2022.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

So I know about
    action.ApplyBindingOverride()
    : it's not what I'm looking for.

I want to add an option for look-sensitivity. I thought the best solution was to give my look action a scale processor that the user can change at runtime via a settings menu.
    Thing.png

You'll notice that the processor is on the Look action, not on one of the bindings. This means I can't use
    action.ApplyBindingOverride()
    . I'm frankly stumped by this, I wanted to add more accessibility options in this manner but it's gonna be hard if I can't make it, you know, accessible.

2. Nathanieljla

Nathanieljla

I keep user settings like controller sensitivity elsewhere as a variable the user can modify and then multiply the input results by that variable. I think that's going to be much cleaner than modifying the actions.

3. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

The game has a couple of different actors so I would have to change one value on each actor as opposed to one value on one input. From a DRY perspective that seems preferable. It's not that I can't, but it does feel hacky when there seems to be such a good solution in place for it.

4. AFAIK the current official recommendation is having a custom processor which reads the value from your own settings.
    (Source)

Nathanieljla and CaseyHofland like this.
  5. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

A 2-year old unsolved issue... classic Unity. Thanks though! At least I can rest easy knowing it isn't possible.