Search Unity

Feature Request Override an "action", NOT a "binding"

Discussion in 'Input System' started by CaseyHofland, May 13, 2022.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

So I know about
    action.ApplyBindingOverride()
    : it's not what I'm looking for.

I want to add an option for look-sensitivity. I thought the best solution was to give my look action a scale processor that the user can change at runtime via a settings menu.
    Thing.png

You'll notice that the processor is on the Look action, not on one of the bindings. This means I can't use
    action.ApplyBindingOverride()
    . I'm frankly stumped by this, I wanted to add more accessibility options in this manner but it's gonna be hard if I can't make it, you know, accessible.

2. Nathanieljla

Nathanieljla

I keep user settings like controller sensitivity elsewhere as a variable the user can modify and then multiply the input results by that variable. I think that's going to be much cleaner than modifying the actions.

3. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

The game has a couple of different actors so I would have to change one value on each actor as opposed to one value on one input. From a DRY perspective that seems preferable. It's not that I can't, but it does feel hacky when there seems to be such a good solution in place for it.

4. AFAIK the current official recommendation is having a custom processor which reads the value from your own settings.
    (Source)

Nathanieljla and CaseyHofland like this.
  5. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

A 2-year old unsolved issue... classic Unity. Thanks though! At least I can rest easy knowing it isn't possible.