Search Unity

Official Overlays Developer Guide

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by gabrielw_unity, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

Oh, right.

@gabrielw_unity, GameView being internal is an insane pain point for a ton of reasons. We can't use overlays with it. We can't find it in order to dock other windows next to it. We can't re-dock it somewhere else. We can't set the gameView vSync value from script. We can't toggle gizmos from script. There's a bunch of other things.

It's yet another one of those cases where Unity's being overly conservative with what to enable users to do, to the detriment of the users.

khan-amil likes this.
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Editor windows must opt-in to Overlay support. https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Overlays.ISupportsOverlays.html

The only built-in window that is opting in currently is the Scene View. In the future this might be relaxed, but in the interest of landing the feature we felt it was the right decision to limit the scope in order to be certain that there were no unintended side effects.

3. GamerXP

GamerXP

So I thought. But.. what about main toolbar? I think that I saw you being able to DnD tools from here in early videos, but it seems to be fully fixed now.

4. Khaeops

Khaeops

What's the workflow for styling the overlay elements? I want to move the positions of my elements but it seems that they are automatically set and I can only register what elements exist. I would like to make a toggle checkbox above a dropdown, but all I can get is a toggle button instead and it always places beside my dropdown rather than above or below.

upload_2022-9-21_10-31-2.png

When I override CreatePanelContent(), it places them above, but I can't figure out how to add a space between elements, and my dropdown renders the arrow on a new line.

upload_2022-9-21_10-32-53.png

Should I be using the Overlays IMGUI support instead, and is there a guide somewhere I can follow for it?

5. Robin_Roekens

Robin_Roekens

Hello @gabrielw_unity ,

I'm working on a custom Overlay and I can only implement the CreatePanelContent method not CreateHorizontalToolbarContent nor CreateVerticalToolbarContent.
    After closer inspection the ToolbarOverlay class I use for inheritance, it has an implementation of the 2 methods but they aren't virtual.
    And the 2 interfaces required to implement those in another class, ICreateHorizontalToolbar and ICreateVerticalToolbar, are internal.

Am I missing something regarding the implementation of those methods?

6. RedGlow82

RedGlow82

Is there a simple workflow to use uxml/uss with overlays? I noticed you can't assign uxml to public VisualTreeAsset properties directly in the defaultReferences from the interface like you can do with EditorWindow, and UI Toolkit Live Reload does not influence the reloading of overlay windows built this way (I guess the two problems may be connected?). In fact, I guess the only way to force the reloading of an Overlay window while developing is to force code re-compilation, right?

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry, you'll want to poke at @kaarrrllll for the code stuff :D

8. sevelee

sevelee

It's possible to set default visibiliy now? I set displayed to true in constructor of my toolbar overlay but it not works.

pokelocos likes this.
  9. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

10. Saniell

Saniell

Is it possible to specify default docking of an overlay?

Also I'd like to know if its possible to make overlay resizable by user somehow? I think custom tools for editing would benefit from it. Like if overlay contains "brush settings" for some painting tool

11. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Yes, although not in 2021.3. See https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Overlays.OverlayAttribute.html

Likewise, Overlay resizing was added recently (I believe 2022.2, but I'm not certain).

Saniell likes this.
  12. Saniell

Saniell

That's nice to know, thanks. Though I can't seem to find much about resizing in docs except size property. To be clear, by resizing I meant allow user to change size of an overlay same way we can drag windows around. Am I missing something or is it not supported at the moment?

13. antoinebr_unity

antoinebr_unity

Unity Technologies

Resizing is currently opt-in by setting the minSize and maxSize when the overlay is constructed. Note that these values aren't persistent and must be set every time the overlay is created but the size itself is persistent.

Here's the API documentation for that:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Overlays.Overlay-minSize.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Overlays.Overlay-maxSize.html

And here's a code exemple:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor.Overlays;
    2. using UnityEngine.UIElements;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    6. [Overlay(typeof(SceneView), "Test")]
    7. public class OverlayTest : Overlay
    8. {
    9.     public OverlayTest()
    10.     {
    11.         minSize = new Vector2(0, 0);
    12.         maxSize = new Vector2(500, 500);
    13.     }
    15.     public override VisualElement CreatePanelContent()
    16.     {
    17.         return new VisualElement();
    18.     }
    19. }

14. khan-amil

khan-amil

Any improvement on this side to expect ? I wanted to support some of our runtime tools with an overlay to limit the amount of windows our team has to maintain and open, but I'll have to switch back to that.

15. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

@khan-amil if you have specific windows in mind that would benefit from overlay support please let me know. There isn't much movement on relaxing this restriction because so far no-one has asked for it (except you!).

16. khan-amil

khan-amil

Well as was said above by a couple of users, it would be nice to have the Game window accepting the overlays.
    My use case was to add something in the editor-side for a runtime tool. Our level designers mainly work in the Game window, so adding stuff in there would be great.

17. Ruchir

Ruchir

How can I add overlays as you have for Box colliders and other systems appearing inside the Tools overlay window?
    upload_2023-2-6_0-37-1.png
    I have a vector3 Property for my custom component for which I want to implement a scene handle for controlling it.

18. Baste

Baste

I'm pretty sure that's an EditorTool you're looking at, so you'd have to implement one of those for your custom component.

Ruchir likes this.
  19. Ruchir

Ruchir

That worked, Thanks.

I have one more question, How do I add multiple buttons/Toggles to my editor tools, right now I only have one Toggle
    upload_2023-2-6_17-30-2.png
    Also, how do I change the "Sp" to an Icon, using the Icon attribute changed the button's icon and not the header attribute Like:
    upload_2023-2-6_17-31-19.png

Attached Files:

20. webik150

webik150

Any easy way to get the overlay's current width?

21. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

What's the recommended way of adding a RadioButton group to an overlay toolbar (in 2022.2)?

Something that works like the "Tools" toolbar where you can only have one of the Move, Rotate, Scale etc tools selected. If that code is in a package or on github I'd appreciate a pointer.

22. cvbattum

cvbattum

Being able to assign
    VisualTreeAsset
    to serialized properties on Overlays feels like a huge missing feature. Will this be added in some way soon? And what is the recommended workaround? LoadAssetAtPath feels painfully hardcoded...

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

What is the key bind for the overlay menu?

The documentation says this:
    1. In the Scene view, press the ` key to display the Overlays menu.
    But how is that in non-US keyboards? The US keyboards are the only ones who support the key directly and it's been annoying ever since id software use that for their in-game console, ie decades ago.

24. Baste

Baste

I'm pretty sure it's spacebar? Or did they change it for 2022?

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's not spacebar anymore

26. JesOb

JesOb

Please add overlay to inspector

Actually we need only horizontal toolbar on top of it so we can add custom buttons and data in it

Ruchir likes this.
  27. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

Hi, this isn't the same, but it might help you. It let's you add stuff with IMGUI to the inspector's header: finishedDefaultHeaderGUI.

Ruchir and JesOb like this.
  28. fleity

fleity

I wanted an overlay with a transparent background similar to the orientation overlay in the top right corner. I struggled for a bit with getting access to the correct visual element because in CreatePanelContent the root visual container for the overlay is not attached to any other visual element yet.
    But you can get there using the OnGeometryChanged event!

(just as a quick extracted example: )

Code (CSharp):
    2. private VisualElement root;
    4. public override VisualElement CreatePanelContent()
    5.     {
    6.         root = new VisualElement() { name = "My Panel Root" };
    7.         root.Add(new Label() { text = "Hello" });
    8.         root.RegisterCallback<GeometryChangedEvent>(OnGeometryChanged);      
    9.         return root;
    10.     }
    12. private void OnGeometryChanged(GeometryChangedEvent evt)
    13.     {
    14. VisualElement overlayContainer = root.parent.parent;
    15. overlayContainer.style.backgroundColor = new StyleColor(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0.1f));
    16. root.UnregisterCallback<GeometryChangedEvent>(OnGeometryChanged);
    17.     }
    have fun

Ruchir likes this.
  29. fleity

fleity

Does anyone know how to set the docked state and position for an overlay from c#?

I've added a simple button to an overlay, while the click callback works, the visual change does not happen. Confusingly the debugger shows the state change. What is going on?!

overlay_button.gif

--> i figured out why it isn't working technically but I don't get the decision why it should be behaving this way.
    there are two style class references for the button in the overlay
    .unity-button and .unity-overlay .unity-button

the second one which selects buttons inside the overlay overwrites border width and background color and therefore prevents any hover and active pseudo states.. why? because we should use EditorToolbarButton instead of Button? Those look a bit different but apart from that work (and the different style can be fixed with AddToClassList("unity-button").

upload_2023-11-10_18-34-17.png upload_2023-11-10_18-36-41.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  30. GamerXP

GamerXP

How to make custom overlay be shown in ScreneView by default? "Default Display" in OverlayAttribute does nothing.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [UnityEditor.Overlays.Overlay(typeof(SceneView), id, "GameCamera Tools", id, true)]
    2.     class GameCameraToolbar : UnityEditor.Overlays.ToolbarOverlay
    3.     {
    4.         const string id = "game-camera-overlay";
    6.         public GameCameraToolbar() : base(CameraFullResetButton.id, CameraRotationResetButton.id)
    7.         {
    9.         }
    10.     }
    Using Unity 2021.3.33f

31. fleity

fleity

Maybe you could try sth with the InitializeOnLoad attribute and set the overlay visible for all open scene views in the constructor, probably with editor prefs as backing field for if it should be shown.. how these kind of displays were done before overlays but the default display attribute worked for me in 2022.3. Is it possible that the display value gets serialized when the class is compiled for the first time and set to false if the attribute wasn't present then? Have you tried renaming the file and the class?

32. GamerXP

GamerXP

I have this class around for a long time in multiple project, and it never displayed by default in any projects on any PC. I assume it's a bug.

InitializeOnLoad though. Well, I guess I can give it a try. Not sure if stuff I need is internal or not though.