Search Unity

Overlaying Video of Camera onto VR Screen with Windows MR Headset

Discussion in 'VR' started by J_Agent, Jan 24, 2018.

1. J_Agent

J_Agent

I want to display the shot video of the camera attached to the front of the Windows MR headset by overlaying it on the VR screen.
    What kind of method is there?

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately Microsoft does not allow access to the tracking cameras on Windows MR headsets. Those 2 cameras on the front of the device are reserved for inside-out tracking. I would imagine the latency from camera lens to presentation would also cause a fair bit of motion sickness or something.

J_Agent likes this.
  3. J_Agent

J_Agent

Hi! Constanza, Thank you for your reply.

Certainly, as you say, Microsoft does not seem to allow official access to the front camera of the MR headset.
    However, according to the engineer involved at the development stage of the MR headset, it was said that there was evidence that it tried to project the image of the front camera onto the VR screen.
    Taking Acer's MR headset as an example, the specification of the front camera is monochrome and VGA resolution. Therefore I think that it is not realistic to use the front-view camera like an AR.
    However, even if it is a video with low specifications, if we can overlay the image of the outside world on the VR screen like VIVE, we can enjoy VR content more safely while avoiding furniture and surrounding people I think.
    If developers watching here knows how to access the image of the front camera even if it is an informal method, I would be pleased to tell you.

Thanks a lot.

4. curtispelissier

curtispelissier

Hello,

Sorry to up that old post, but I'm currently working on the Samsung WMR Headset and I need to access to front cameras for Image Recognition purposes.

Is there still no way to achieve it or Unity/Microsoft/SomeoneElse made a tool/sdk/api to get that front cam image ?

Thanks you