Search Unity

Question Overexposed lights

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by sniffle63, Jan 13, 2022.

1. sniffle63

sniffle63

It seems like everytime I try to use HDRP I have to set my lights to a very low intensity or everything becomes over exposed and I feel like I just am not understanding how to use HDRP correctly or something because this seems to make no sense.
    Gif attached of the over-exposure at low settings.

I turned everything off in HDRP default settings
    upload_2022-1-13_0-49-33.png

And this is my post-processing volume
    upload_2022-1-13_0-50-23.png

Screenshots of 2 different light intensity settings incase GIF doesnt work or w/e
    upload_2022-1-13_0-51-21.png upload_2022-1-13_0-51-40.png

Attached Files:

2. sniffle63

sniffle63

Using a unity sphere just so there are no "could it be your model" questions. (altho I did notice turning shadows to double-sided for the building helped, but added lots of bleed threw and is still overexposed)

Attached Files:

3. Qleenie

Qleenie

You need to set exposure, e.g. in the post processing volume. Try with fixed exposure first and play with the value, until scene looks right.

4. sniffle63

sniffle63

I tried that but it still does not seem correct

Attached Files:

5. sniffle63

sniffle63

Also tried adding contact shadows to adjust the bias, because in built-in that's how you fix light bleed is with the normal bias.

I assume the lighting through the front door/windows is correct because its real-time with no probes so it wont bounce past the area it hits I suppose, but the bleed threw is really bad and the cut-off is weird looking.

Attached Files:

6. sniffle63

sniffle63

With exposure on "use physical camera" and the shadows turned to ultra it helps a bit, but still has bad light bleed.
    Also, it doesn't really make sense to have shadows on ultra just to make a default setup look almost passable

upload_2022-1-13_14-11-55.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  7. sniffle63

sniffle63

Using a physical sky on the post-processing makes it look a lot better, but that's to be expected because of the extra light.

Tho, I suppose the only issue now is the light bleed. If nothing else I can add "trim" to the walls, but Id really rather not have to cover up this amount of light bleed that will become visible again if shadows are not on ultra.

Gotta be doing something wrong :)

Attached Files:

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think u should us a HDRP template because u don't have anything setup in your scene by default....

9. koirat

koirat

Set direct light to sunless sky intensity.

In volume:

- Environment: physial based sky. Ambient dynamic.
    - Add Physical based Sky
    - Exposure: Automatic max: 13 min -2.5

Now what is important, if you add some pointlights/spotlights to your scene they are not going to lit any light with predefined intensity (like interior exterior light) since directional light is so strong. Imaging flashing a flashlight in daylight.

This is quite problematic if you want to have open scene with some buildings or shadows that are lit inside.

10. sniffle63

sniffle63

I mean that's the point, to start from nothing so I understand what is required to get the lights to look correct. If you just start from a template and make changes you won't actually know what's required to get it to look good.

Interesting sounds like you basically told me HDRP doesn't support interior lights while using a directional light and/or physical skys because the over-exposure is screwy.

Which is kinda what I'm experiencing, even after I got the directional to look "okay" no interior lights did anything because the directional was too powerful with the skylight included