Search Unity

Overclocking Oculus Go with Dynamic ClockLevels

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by ciriguaya, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ciriguaya

ciriguaya

Hi,

I'm programming my first game/art piece for the Oculus go and am already reaching the limits of the hardware. I've applied most performance saving settings suggested by oculus and also came across the mention of the Dynamic ClockLevels which should be possible to increase or decrease with the following line of code, that I found here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-power-overview/

"To set the CPU and GPU clock levels call:
    vrapi_SetClockLevels( ovrMobile * ovr, const int32_t cpuLevel, const int32_t gpuLevel )

With your desired clock level. Default clock levels are cpuLevel = 2, gpuLevel = 2. ....For current hardware, the levels can be 0, 1, 2, or 3 for CPU and GPU. 0 is the slowest and most power efficient; 3 is the fastest and hottest."

unfortunately I'm still a beginner when it comes to understanding code and how to apply it.

and as I couldn't find any one posting about I guess its time for me to start a new thread.

So the question who knows how and where to implement this line of code???

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

This is code you'd want to implement to slow down the Go, in order to save power when your game isn't doing much.

It does not provide a way to overclock the Go.

If your game doesn't run at 60fps, you'll just have to make it more efficient.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. ciriguaya

ciriguaya

Ah ok I see. Is there a way to overclock it? Or to force it to not care so much about battery life?

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Both of those things are not related in any way.

If you "overclock it" which is not possible btw, you would be using more battery not less as you would be giving it more power effectively.

No, you cannot get your device to care less about battery.

You can force the GO to render at 72hz instead of 60hz for smoother feel, but you will not get "increased" graphics, nor will you get better performance. You certainly will eat much more battery doing this too.

Your better off developing your game in a way that does not bring the GO to its knees, rather than trying to hack the hardware to somehow give you increased performance yet decreased battery usage (which counteract each other).

5. ciriguaya

ciriguaya

Ok well it’s a pity but I guess i have to deal with it. Thx for your advice.