Search Unity

'OUYA' Android Console for $99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ostwind

Ostwind

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. Tanel

Tanel

But the price for a tablet isn't $99.

It's a cool cheap gadget for people to play mostly cheap indie games on. What's wrong with that?

3. taumel

taumel

What i find interesting about the project is the way they run it. Only a few updates, still no stretch goals, ... completely different from the projects which were popular a few weeks/months ago.

4. Aguy

Aguy

I don't see what they'd be updating at this point unless they're sitting on some hidden info.
    And what kind of stretch goal can you do at $5M?

5. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

There's nothing wrong with that. But call it that. That's what's wrong...calling it more than that. :)

6. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Seriously guys some of you are acting like their investing your money in the console...

Get real, it's a nice idea, it's cheap, it has potential.

Being an Android, supporting it is trivial.

Do you dismiss new phones when they come out?

Do you say:
    "that's crap I can do that already on my such-n-such device"?

No, you just watch the adverts and shut up...

Samsung has released a douzen tablets, all variations of the same thing, with different sizes and different specs, you aren't rioting in the streets are you? ( http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/all-products )

Well look at it as another Android device and you will be cool, it just seems that the specific one has more potential to stand out compared to the thousands of Android phones and tablets and it won't look like a post-apocalyptic pip-boy with a controller strapped on (which is what has been suggested as a viable alternative by members...http://www.instructables.com/image/FAZB55UGSOEMQ1U/Jailbroken-iPhone-emulator-controller.jpg)

Seriously though comparing mobile gaming to an actual device with a controller at 99$ is beyond me. It's an option, one I will support, it's as simple as that.

For 99$ it seems closer to an impulse buy than the investment a next-gen console is when it comes out. Do you remember how hard it was for the PS3 to get momentum? For how many years they were losing money?

Also consider this: the parts are more standard compared to what the 360 and ps3 pack (or their next-gen counterparts will feature), so making an OUYA 2 in a year or two with the new Tegra will be easier for them than what it is for microsoft and sony.

Plus the device spec fragmentation is already embedded in the platform (Android) so it won't be such a shock to the players and at 99$ getting the new one isn't a "next 5 years of gaming" decision.(not that fragmentation is a good thing).

7. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

As an owner of a Behold 2... I do my rioting about Samsung on the forums. :)

8. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You aren't considering the fact that each game costs nearly as much as an OUYA.I see it flying off shelves come Christmas time, just like the Wii did, but with better graphics. Of course there will be tweets like: "I hate my Grandma she got me an OUYA and I wanted a 360", but there are always retards that cry because they got a car and not an iPhone 4GS.

Seriously though can't you see this playing on a TV screen:
    http://madfingergames.com/g_deadtrigger.html

9. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

and the 360 only has 512...

10. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

People don't think " I already have an Xbox 360 , like everyone else, but I want to spend 100$ to get a system with a bunch of crap and a few good games "
    Like I said, this market doesn't really exist right now . I don't see it selling over 200k units at most and thats not any where near what new system needs to sell

11. tatoforever

tatoforever

12. kablammyman

kablammyman

just like to add update 4

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mail&show_token=5942e440d1d6ab88&play=1#video

cut and paste job from my email.

[edit] dammit, beat by 2 minutes!

13. tatoforever

tatoforever

14. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

There "wasn't a market" for the iPad either....

15. Democre

Democre

Even so, the Human Element game is not exclusive. Just this playable prequel. Human element will be released in 2015.
    He seems to be following the general feel here. Why not throw something on the Ouya? If you're developing something anyway, it can't hurt. And it's a free testbed for when the full game releases in 2015.

16. tatoforever

tatoforever

This prequel will be exclusive to OUYA.

17. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

The IPad had the Apple name brand attached to it , and the IPhone came first and paved the way .
    Did the dozens of tablet PC's that came before the Ipad sell well, not really since people couldn't see how they needed it ( thank Apple's marketing for much of the Ipads success . )

I'll even take this a step further . If Apple was to put out an Ouya , the same exact thing aside from IOS and Apple branding , I'm sure it would sell like crazy . they could even charge 200$ , 300$ dollars for it

18. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'm not saying the Ouya will fail for sure, but its really a wait and see type thing .

I'm thinking IF i wind up buying one I'll hack the google play market on to it and use it to run netflix / hulu , remote desktop , and every other crazy thing people are doing with android

19. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

I think a modern, well marketed game console that sells for $99, could be a pretty attractive product. There are lots of ways to market it: a system 'for the people', a system 'designed by devs, cause they love games', etc, etc... People LOVE underdogs!

They may succeed, because it's exactly the kind of gift a family is looking for around the holidays. A moderately priced SOMETHING that is modern and brings joy to their kids. The people buying them won't care that it's ... NOT as sexy as an XBox 720, or PS9-whatever-thing. Just like millions of people didn't care about Wii specs. It's modern and snazy, it's cheap, it's the holidays!

It could work. They'll have devs and companies and lots of 'free press' because it's 'different'. Bloggers and review sites love to talk about it. YOU LOVE TO TALK ABOUT IT (20+ pages ...).

How they market it will seal their fate with the masses. But, given how well they've done so far, ... I'd say they have a AAA marketing director. I'm not a believer or a supporter, but ... if I was a betting person, I'd have to bet in their favor.

Gigi.

20. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

you think it only sold because it was an apple? that is very narrow minded. of course the brand helps, but a brand doesn't create a market, the product has to actually fulfill a purpose, which is exactly what the OUYA will do: a cheap console, with casual and cheap games, but cooler and more hard-core ones as well. Basically what the Wii is lacking, with a side of customization.

21. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I know , these windows tablets sold great !.

Its the apple swagger that sales , not the actual product

22. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

It's funny you bring the iPhone up since the iPhone not only created the modern smartphone, but the modern smartphone market. Before Apple, smartphones were PDAs with phones attached, had typically limited web browsing capability, poor application support, and were rarely seen outside of the enterprise. Before the iPhone, Apple was a PC manufacturer with a 6% marketshare and the company that made iPods, another market they pretty much rebuilt. There were other MP3 players but they were huge, had awful battery life, and a pretty terrible tendency to skip.

Apple looked at a market, saw where it was falling flat, and went "we can do better and we can make money doing it."

These sold poorly because they were garbage. The responsiveness was terrible, they had awful batteries, and they ran a full desktop operating system with no regard for how well touch/stylus input would work. They also weighed a tonne. It wasn't Apple swagger, it was Apple making a series of good products because they saw the flaws in the current ones.

23. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Actualy, they are! So, your whole post to me makes no sense anymore, next.

24. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Wrong. Apple had years of market already. All they had to do was insert the product into their already existent market.

25. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Introducing the iWidget. You don't know what it does, you don't know if you'll need it, you may even already has something that does it and cost less, but here comes the iWidget... strike another blow against the suits and the mainstream, buy your latest Apple product now!

Five minutes later...

Introducing the iWidget 2. If you thought the iWidget was great, then you need the iWidget 2. Better in so many ways you won't even be able to tell the difference. The iWidget 3 is the...er, I mean the iWidget 2 is the best Widget! Get your iWidget now!

Five minutes later...

The rumors were true, friends! Introducing the iWidget 3!

26. khanstruct

khanstruct

Really? You're going to dismiss everything else that was said because of one sentence? This is supposed to be an intelligent conversation about a new product/tool for us. Yet you seem to be covering your ears and saying "la la la, I can't hear you"

By the way, no, not everyone is "investing their money into this". I haven't. I'll definitely be getting one and definitely be developing games for it, but I'm not the kind of guy who has disposable income to throw at something I'll get a year from now. (I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't "invested" in it either) So, since your statement was wrong, I suppose I'll be ignoring anything else you have to say?

27. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

As much as I'm not really a fan of Apple (no kidding, really?) - all in all, I've been wondering about the following:

The Mac Mini.

Yes, a used one is going to run you 3-4 times the cost of the Ouya; but consider the options it provides.

OS X.
    Windows via Bootcamp.
    Android via VirtuaBox.

That's just for running things. What about for development? Yep, that Mac Mini's going to let you develop for OS X, Windows, Android, and iOS.

So it might be worth taking the $100 and spend it on a better Mac Mini or for a Win 7 license, etc.

Hrmm, this pained me to type...I think I'm going to go smoke.

28. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Yes, but the Ouya is a console, not a development evironment.

29. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

30. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

A dev kit is not a development environment. They're talking about how you can use the Ouya to test games that you are developing with the addition of a development environment. You aren't going to plug a keyboard into the Ouya and make games from there.

31. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Clearly when I say "some of you" I mean the ones that don't think the console is a great idea and are NOT investing in it.

So they simply made the iPad for the iPhone - Mac users and nothing changed in the entire industry? Yep, that's how it is, I'm simply in another reality.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Aye, and it's also not a desktop computer.

"I was going to buy a motor scooter, but then I realised that if I paid 5 times as much I could get a car which addresses a completely different set of needs instead!"

33. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Was a rushed post, my bad. Suits was coming on USA and I needed to grab a ciggy. No, the Ouya is not a dev environment - but it's a dev kit, it's part of your dev environment. They're trying for the selling point of not having to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a console dev kit.

It's more than just a console though. And the Mac Mini, ugh-meh, is more than just a dev environment. You can play games on four operating systems with it (OS X, Windows, Linux, and Android).

Commercials over, got to go...back later.

34. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Online docs? Check.
    Gaming? Check.
    Watch videos? Check.
    Email? Check.
    IM? Check.

Ye Olde MSN Companion has come a long way... the Ouya.

35. lmbarns

lmbarns

$100

$100. Television screen. $100.

:)

36. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

If you believe the iPad succeeds because it has 300 Million fan boys, then you must also believe WoW succeeds because everyone is a Blizzard fan-boy, and the Wii succeeds because everyone is a Nintendo fan-boy. In which case, you are wearing blinders and will never learn to see what truly made them successful.

Gigi

37. taumel

taumel

So, are there any news about OUYA2 yet?

38. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

But you can't deny the brand names helped ALOT . How many MMO's have come and gone since and before WOW .

Of course your ignoring the money factor , Ouya will need major dough just to market itself

39. lmbarns

lmbarns

$100

Well with WoW at least there were a number of factors, UO2 was scrapped a couple years before WoW came out, so there wasn't really anything else at WoW's capacity in the fantasy mmo RPG market. EQ and EQ2, shadowbane, asherons call, dark age of camelot, etc etc etc were very dated by that time(November 2004). They were also targeted at a more hardcore gamer with full loot open world pvp(except DAOC), where WoW wasn't.

Also I played Ultima Online from 1997-2001 on a 56k connection like most people back then, some people in cities had high speed. Between 2000-2003 (WoW launched Nov. 2004) high speed internet was just about everywhere, and there was a much larger market of gamers online ready for a large scale mmo fantasy rpg that was targeted at the masses.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  40. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

It helps, but this is like saying that if WOW was utter crap people would still play it or that if the iPad was slow, had a crappy screen, no features etc people would still buy it, because they are apple fanboys. Not every apple fanboy has a macbook pro nor do they have the 27" mac and the quality of their products is high. If it wasn't the brand would just flop, just like it did in the past.

Diablo 3 did very well based on the Blizzard name, but it hasn't carried the name further. I bought it for a friend and myself, let me tell you: I'm not going to buy a Blizzard product as easily next time, even though I played during the open beta and played Diablo 2 heavily.

Infinity Ward made the best COD, with Treyarch making the crappy ones, now it has switched.

41. taumel

taumel

42. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

So I found this thread hard to read because of the erroneous comparisons being made, baseless judgments being passed and the half cooked arguments being put forth without really some careful thought about what supports their argument.

So why read it? I read this thread because I see something in the Ouya: Opportunity. I see it as another place to reach gamers in addition to the existing avenues. I think the dev kit is cheap and I can at least make my money back on it worst case so I'm jumping in. I'm focusing on development of a title that I can deploy to multiple platforms including this one. There were a few posts that were thoughtful and I enjoyed those. For those spewing a lot of negativity, may I suggest you do yourself and others a favor by stopping for a moment and post a reply about what kind of opportunity you think YOU could make happen. What you'd like to do but what challenges do you see? I'm all for a constructive discussion about this.

43. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

@Wenceslao:

I know what you're feeling, I don't understand why most wouldn't greet this with anything but optimism and hope, its another possible outlet for us. I think part of this is fanboyism and change. Unity started out as a Mac "thing" and IOS is the big dog, so there are many Apple fans here, they often tend to scoff at anything that doesn't taste like their favorite fruit. Another aspect is human nature, many are wary of change, of things that are different, they see it as foreign and it naturally stinks no matter what it is. The other factor is that this is kind of a big deal in some ways, it has a lot buzz, a lot of interest, anything of this magnitude is destined to bring out everybody, the good the bad and the ugly.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, forgot the most important detail, this thing has the potential to be a forehead slapping failure. I'm pretty interested myself to see how this pans out.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  44. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

A good amount of us are just realist , its irrational to give people money when they can't even keep there facts straight( Minecraft might be on it , but the spokesperson clearly said "Minecrafts gonna be on it" .

Let someone else be the beta tester for this thing, i'll give it a year, i might even wait on Oyua 2

45. Metron

Metron

I initially pledged the 1337... pulled it back to 699 and finally dropped it completely.

The main reasons to me were the fact that they currently haven't shown the prototype to anyone and they haven't responded to the developers who have emailed them.

A lot of people have requested them to do some demonstration in front of independent reporters so we can at least be sure that there is a working prototype (something which they have stated more than once). This has yet to happen. And unless I'm completely wrong, this will not happen before the end of the Kickstarter campaign.

They provided an email address especially for developers interested in producing games for the OUYA. Yet, although people wrote them quite early, those mails have not found reply in any form. Initially the number of developer kits were quite limited and the withcoming number of emails to "filter" should have been quite limited, too. But well...

I think they have felt that they did something wrong when they changed the number of developer kits. The 1337 pledges have dropped under 200 (were limited 200 before fully sold) and the number of 699 pledges has not significantly increased since the change (they have doubled the number of available kits for 699 and 1337). I think this show the limited confidence the developers have in this console.

46. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Sony is now planning to launch at the end of this year a super slim model of PS3 for £99...
    I want to see what the Ouya makers will do about that.

Even notch dont know what is going on... And he pledged $10.000...
    I dropped mine exactly the same way you did. I will wait until this thing becomes "real".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  47. taumel

taumel

They'll kickstart a console for $9.99.

48. khanstruct

khanstruct

You people should follow Ouya and the people involved in its development on Twitter. They have addressed the Minecraft topic, and have also discussed their attempts to respond to all of the potential developer emails they've been receiving.

As far as Minecraft goes, they have said that Notch said Minecraft will be on Ouya, assuming that it proves itself first as a viable platform.

And yes, they do respond to developers, but you also have to consider the thousands of emails they receive every day. Its simply impossible for them to reply to every would-be developer. Chances are, if you don't have a successful title already released, you're pretty low on their priority list. This isn't a personal thing, its just numbers.

As to the $99 PS3, who cares? 90% of the Playstation market already owns one. At best, this $99 model will pick up a few stragglers.

Sure, the other consoles will have their own pricing and marketing strategies to compete with the lower price point of Ouya. That's to be expected. Personally, I think the market for the Ouya won't be unlike the Wii market. There will be people who don't buy the "hardcore" gaming consoles (XBox or PS), but will still drop $99 for the casual Ouya. Then there are the hardcore gamers who will buy the PS4, Xbox720 (or both) AND they will buy the Ouya. Either way, the Ouya will likely come out on top.

49. taumel

taumel

Dream on.

50. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

THIS- I got an email from them when I asked how the market was going to be , and they just said it would be open like the google one . Like it Might work, but give it time . -