Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

'OUYA' Android Console for $99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Jul 4, 2012.

1. khanstruct

khanstruct

Yes, but again, its an incredibly small market ("Active Members: 29,650"). So a higher percentage is almost inevitable. Still, if you look at things like the Humble Indie Bundle, you'll see that Linux users are always the one's who pay the most. They're a generous bunch :)

2. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'm working on a collection of mini games made with RageSpline, I plan on giving it out for free , somthing nice for the linux gamers .

IF I get a good amount of downloads I'll do the cave story thing and offer a deluxe edition for a low price .

3. taumel

taumel

@khanstruct
    Considering what i read from them, the four controllers, ... i'm not sure that you and Ouya share the same vision.

4. khanstruct

khanstruct

...heh?

5. Dr. Drago

Dr. Drago

I dont know if this has been written in this tread yet (atleast not before side 13) All games that are developed the the Ouya must have a F2P version (Demo, Trail) then if they want they can make a version to by och have a in-game shop.

6. n0mad

n0mad

7. Dantus

Dantus

Absolutely! From my point of view everyone who supports a crowd funding project should feel comfortable in being a business angel. Certainly in the case of a success you won't get money, but a product. On the other hand, if it fails, you may loose your investement. It may even be impossible to give the money back, because it may have been used already. Be it saleries, rents, licenses, ... . In the case of OUYA, where should they take the money from if the project can not be completed? They got a lot of money and they use it for the development!

8. khanstruct

khanstruct

Is this Kotaku's first time hearing about Kickstarter? I thought it was fairly common knowledge.

9. n0mad

n0mad

I guess they did it by anticipation of all the rage uninformed people would spill :/
    (and even though, I'm pretty sure there will still be some people asking some refunds)

10. khanstruct

khanstruct

Well, when you ask for $950k and get $8 million, I think its a safe bet that they will at least be delivering on their promises and a release of the product.

11. Arowx

Arowx

$8m WOW they should include a free Oculus Rift with every Ouya!

12. khanstruct

khanstruct

That would actually be a really smart move. The XBox 720 will be shipping with AR glasses. What a great way to one-up the big dogs.

13. WhaleboneMcCoy

WhaleboneMcCoy

I can see Oculus being supported by Ouya, and a great way to get more on board.

I hadn't touched Game development in 5 years before i started this newest project. The Ouya was the thing that inspired me to get back into it. I'm EXCITED to see where this little console will go. Regardless of Ouya's success or failure they've opened up the ability for this kind of product to not only exist, but be competitive.

14. Arowx

Arowx

This is just the beginning with some more advances in 3D printing technology you will eventually be able to download and print the device you want.

And before that we will have custom mouldings for the controller/headset to ensure it fits you like a glove.

15. Sarkhamy

Sarkhamy

To my understanding the rule is now that the games have to have a free to play version, weather that be a free demo or the actual whole game is free. You can still make money if you say make the free version have 1-2 hours of content and say the pay to play version have 5-6 hours of content.

16. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Damn.... I guess people are being constantly bombarded with new titles so much, that they don't care to play anything that isn't for free.

17. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

For me personally, it's more an issue of being so bombarded with free (and paid) crap that I'm hesitant to download any more free (or paid) crap.

Oddly enough, there are few things that I hate more than seeing an app on the App Store that looks really cool that I want to buy… And then finding out that it's free.

18. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I dunno what to think about this.. I read an article in GI(Game Informer) about this console and I'm torn I'll wait to see what the market does with this.. it could be interesting to develop games for OUYA

19. khanstruct

khanstruct

Bwahaha

20. chilton

chilton

Ouya will be a great platform to develop for, assuming they can come up with some way to combat piracy.
    Otherwise, it will become a great platform to lose money on.

21. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yes... When I think about that I start to babling why I keep going through all this.
    Maybe it's the main reason I 'want' (but can't) to leave mobile dev; those gazillion games in those mobile stores make me sick.
    Ouya won't be any different, it won't change anything.

22. marcoantap

marcoantap

23. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I ordered one of the limited edition consoles and I still haven't got it. Has anyone else got one of those yet?

25. sama-van

sama-van

26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Sure why not

27. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I noticed an Apps section on OUYA, in addition to the Games section. So, I would assume that OUYA is not restricted only to games! You might want to create an account and explicitly ask, though.

28. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

I'm also still waiting for my limited edition console. I got a ship notification with a DHL tracking number which appears to be invalid. According to the email it could still be several weeks before I see my console. I almost feel like I'm being punished for throwing in a little extra support by upgrading to the limited edition console considering they didn't even start sending them out until a little over a week ago.

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Screw that. If the person playing a free version of my paid game can't decide it's worth their dollar-ninety-nine in 5 minutes of gameplay, they're not going to decide in an hour. That's 5 minutes more than they get on iTunes or equivalent platforms, and I'm not interested in catering to an audience who doesn't believe that other people's time has value.

Also, it's still going to be a very good (and very replayable) 5 minutes.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

I agree. The whole thing reeks. DHL has never heard of these alleged shipments. Ouya has been terribly mismanaged from day one. It will be a miracle if it doesn't completely disintegrate by the end of the year.

31. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I still havent even gotten an email about my console, and we were supposed to get it in april, then they said end of may, now mays almost over. I just wonder how they were able to get that extra $15 million.

32. Kafeen

Kafeen

It takes a little while before the shipments show up on DHL's website.

My OUYA was delivered yesterday, or would have been if I was in to accept the delivery. Should have it delivered to the office on Friday.

33. goat

goat

DHL doesn't do that tracking stuff. And they send things through customs. Customs is the holdup. I've actually had them call me to verify a framed Thoroughbred Race photo was actually only worth a few hundred dollars before (in Switzerland). In the US they use sensors and other gadgetry.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  34. sama-van

sama-van

Sounds good!
    I'll maybe order it to the end of June to give it a try ^__^.

35. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I missed this post before.

I agree that it's more than a little disappointing that those of us who paid extra are getting inferior service. I haven't even got an email to say mine's on the way yet. I understand that being a limited run means those particular consoles are more effort than the standard ones, so there could be unavoidable delays as a result of that (the whole thing has had a pretty short development cycle for hardware manufacturing), but some kind of communication would be a good start, even if it were just an apology for delays so that I know I at least haven't been completely forgotten. As it is I just have no idea what's going on, and it does indeed give the impression of mismanagement.

36. Kryger

Kryger

Real life logistical things are notoriously difficult to get right. Huge multinational companies fail at this all the time so I'm not surpised a small, kickstarter funded startup company is having some difficulties, which may or may not continue indefinitely. It takes massive, continuous team effort to successfully ship physical products under tight deadlines.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  37. sama-van

sama-van

just ordered it with 2 paddle.

A few colleagues said they was supposed to get it in April o_O... still didn't receive it...
    They got the tracking number saying it was sent but always delayed.

Anyway, let's try to not think much about it and hope I can get it for Xmas ^_^!

38. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I hope mine comes before too long, I ordered it back in December! Christmas? no way.

39. sama-van

sama-van

You should be joking o_O????

40. Kryger

Kryger

Who cares? Ouya would be a great joke, and it would be an excellent platform to develop for too. Everyone wins.

41. RichardKain

RichardKain

I Kickstarted this sucker, and still haven't gotten the unit that was part of my kickstarter goal. That's fine for the moment. Kickstarter is a funding service, not a store. You always go into crowdfunding with the possibility of losing your investment. You aren't purchasing a product, you're enabling a product to be developed and released. Actually receiving the product in question is a nice bonus, not a requirement. You are an investor, not a customer.

That said, I do still want the OUYA unit that was part of my kickstarter tier. I have also received the DHL notification, but have yet to receive my unit. Thankfully, the commercial launch of the system doesn't happen until the end of June anyway. So I still have a deccent amount of time.

42. derkoi

derkoi

I bought an unopened kickstarter OUYA from eBay. Received it a few days ago from the US (i'm in the UK).

After a few teething troubles, it works flawlessly now.

Already got my game working on the OUYA, just working on mapping the controls.

43. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Agreed, and I've said so many times myself. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that as investors we're not being informed about this particularly well. The complaint isn't so much "I don't have my console yet" as it is "I have no idea what's going on with my console or when it is likely to arrive". It's an issue that could be solved with a 15 minute email.

44. sama-van

sama-van

French article on the Ouya :

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/00066001-la-ouya-entre-attente-interminable-et-addition-salee.htm

I am not pretty fan of the French papers being super negative but :

It seems some guys had to pay additional fees from the initial 20$ for international package : between 20 to 160$. =___=....

Sometimes guys ordered the 2nd joystick, paid for it but wasn't in the package with the Ouya.

Anyway :

They agree they are a young company and already a very lot of people waiting for it.
    And then maybe to forgive then for those problem on the communication side and their commercial system.

I do agree on this last citation. (but I am not one of those waiting for about 3 months)

- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/comments

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  45. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I must humbly take back some of what I said about them not communicating. I got an email a few days ago with a pretty comprehensive update, the mistake was mine for not reading it.

Additionally, it seemed to cover a lot of what the French paper was saying. Basically, to get as much shipped as quickly as possible, they shipped part-orders where possible and will ship the remainder when production has caught up.

46. Tanel

Tanel

This is out of their hands, depends on your countries customs laws. A bit more information on the preorder page would be nice though, a little warning for international shipments.

47. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

So is anybody else experiencing massive controller with their Ouya lag? Feels like about .3 seconds.

48. sama-van

sama-van

49. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

Well that will delay their disappointment, anyway.

50. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've bough the 250$ kit with two pads and tatoforever engraved on them... I've received an email that my OUYA + 1 pad is on the way... :(
    Looks like they didn't respected their engagements...