Search Unity

Outside buildings (and other stuff)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by disorganized, Aug 9, 2018.

1. disorganized

disorganized

First off, sorry if this really isn't in the right (sub) forum.

I'm building part of a city (for an isometric RTS) with what is essentially just brick buildings. I want to create a slight overcast (but not completely grey and dull) type of feel. I have the buildings' materials set to Standard (Roughness Setup) which seems to create a slight grey hue.

I'm really just looking for a little advice from those that have made 'city games' before and how I can create a realistic look with lighting and materials.
    I know this is really vague but if anyone has kind of general advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I've done a similar effect with barrels and a few buildings.
    The trick to achieve that effect, is to make the buildings texture,
    look dull and overcast.

Since it's just for an area of a city, that has an overcast look, my suggestion
    would be, to paint parts of the building texture, in a colour that has a dullish,
    slight greyish colour tone etc. in it.
    In photoshop or gimp etc. you can use a gradient, or filter effects if you
    want too.

eg. The buildings texture, is made up of brown concrete and windows.
    So to make the building, look like it's in an area that is overcast, paint in a
    colour, eg. a brown colour, that has a hint of dull grey, or slightly greyish hue etc.
    over parts of the texture, that will be most likely be affected, or covered
    in that dullish overcast colour.

And paint the lower portion of the building, that is closer to the road, in a
    slightly darker colour. So it'll look like the lower parts of the building, is less
    affected by light and is covered a bit in shadow.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    disorganized likes this.
  3. disorganized

disorganized

Sorry for the late reply, out of town/family stuff. First off, thanks for the reply. Your advice was absolutely helpful.

Yea I've noticed that some buildings I bought off of the asset store have this metallic texture added and I kept getting this glossy look which was so bizarre (not sure why that was added).
    I got as far as making the textures/materials look a little more greyed out too. That definitely improved things than when I first started.

Any advice on the directional light itself? I have a pretty simple setup. Here's a small screenshot: DirectLight.jpg

Thanks again.