Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Output value 'vert' is not completely initialized

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by CDF, Oct 19, 2019.

1. CDF

CDF

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every shader I create with shader graph (in any version). I always get this error:

grid.png

Then I hit "save asset" a couple of times and it goes away. When I re-open Unity it's back again.

Here's a simple shader that just repeats a texture based on a grid size:
    It looks fine to me, but no matter what, "Output value 'vert' is not completely initialized" warning keeps popping up.

gridShader.png

What am I doing wrong?

2. Innovine

Innovine

Same here in 2019.3. Just multiply 2 colors and plug it into the emission, presto, error. Pressing Save Asset a few times gets rid of it again.

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just want to weight and say this is also a regular occurrence for me in 2019.3. Fortunately it's not a pressing issue, but evidently something is wrong.

4. Robber33

Robber33

same here 2019.3.0b12

DanilKozub likes this.
  5. bgolus

bgolus

You’re not doing anything wrong, and there’s nothing you can do to fix it. This is Unity’s bug.

6. ioesten

ioesten

This fixes it:

v2f vert(appdata_base v)
    {
    //initialize 'o'...
    v2f o;
    UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(v2f, o);

7. bgolus

bgolus

Yep. That is indeed something they could add to the generated shader code to fix the problem.

As an aside, while I know the above line is common in a lot of built-in Unity shaders, I'm strongly against its use in my own shaders. That warning is useful information and means there's either a bug in your shader or an optimization you could be making. If the vertex output isn't completely initialized it means you either forgot to set a value that should be set which might explain some visual issue you might see, or it means you're passing extra unused data to the fragment shader which could be removed to make the shader faster.

zch1234qq and ioesten like this.
  8. newguy123

newguy123

where do I put this?

vipinsoni38 likes this.
  9. CDF

CDF

Are there actually any Unity devs on this shader graph forum?

Would be great to know this is a known issue and is being worked on.

newguy123 likes this.
  10. vipinsoni38

vipinsoni38

can you please tell me where to put this. I am having the same issue

11. bgolus

bgolus

No where. This isn't something for you to fix. Reporting the bug using the in editor "Report a Bug..." dialog is how you get it fixed.

The "fix" @ioesten posted would be for hand written vertex fragment shaders, not for Shader Graph shaders. Infact the existing shaders already do something very similar. The macro referenced in his example code does this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(type,name) name = (type)0;
    That initializes all values of a struct to be zero. If you look at the code in PBRForwardBase.hlsl where the error is being reported, it's already doing the same thing.
    Code (csharp):
    1. PackedVaryings vert(Attributes input)
    2. {
    3.     Varyings output = (Varyings)0; // here
    4.     output = BuildVaryings(input);
    5.     PackedVaryings packedOutput = (PackedVaryings)0; // and here
    6.     packedOutput = PackVaryings(output);
    7.     return packedOutput;
    8. }
    The problem is those
    BuildVaryings
    and
    PackVaryings
    functions are overriding the struct, and those functions (which are generated by the shader graph and are unique to each shader) don't properly initialize all values. Since the functions are just overriding and not modifying the existing struct, the fact it was originally zeroed out doesn't matter. Really, the bug is there are values being included in the struct that shouldn't be there, not that it's not being initialized to zero, so it's a deeper bug they should fix.

So, what can you do?
    Have you reported the bug with an example project using the in-editor Report Bug dialog? If not, no. No one is working on it. This forum is a community forum. There are real devs who sometimes come by to help out, or sometimes to try and find more information about bugs that have been reported, but they are not supposed to work on issues not in the tracker and vetted by their test team.

If you want a bug fixed, report it, then post here.

Technically if you want to fix the issue locally you can take every Shader Graph you make that has the problem, right click on the master node and select "Show Generated Code", save that to a new .shader file, and find this line:
    Code (csharp):
    1. PackedVaryings output;
    And replace it with:
    Code (csharp):
    1. PackedVaryings output = (PackedVaryings)0;
    Then delete your Shader Graph shaders and hand modify the shader code when you want to make changes.

Or you can report the bug and ignore the warnings for now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    kinmenhans and valentingurkov like this.
  12. alexandral_unity

alexandral_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, if you have an issue that is an actual bug, please check if it exists on the issue tracker or file a bug yourself. Like Ben said, it really helps us to have a formally filed and tracked bug with our test team to resolve issues. c:

13. Sean2212

Sean2212

I am also getting the same error in 2019.3.0f3. I couldn't find a bug logged for it so I logged one.

VenandiVatis likes this.
  14. Sean2212

Sean2212

Unity has acknowledged the issue and sent it to their dev team:

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:54:01 +01:00

Hi,

We successfully reproduced this issue and have sent it for resolution with our developers.

We highly appreciate your contribution. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
    Gytis
    Customer QA Team

bgolus likes this.
  15. wwwholmiz

wwwholmiz

Any news about this? I just upgraded to 2019.3.1f1 and the "Output value 'vert' is not completely initialized" is still a problem...

16. CrocsxG

CrocsxG

I have the same exact problem, I also reportedd, but just seen that it is in progress. so I guess I'll wait

https://prnt.sc/r7h62f

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  17. alexandral_unity

alexandral_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, the fix for this has already landed for 7.2.0. There's a hotfix to ensure all values are zero initialized, and there's a larger fix in the works to ensure that only necessary data is generated in the structs.
    Unfortunately even after this fix you may still see this error on older graphs due an unrelated bug where the warnings on the shader/material do not clear from cache correctly. This warning shouldn't be breaking your graphs, and you haven't done anything in your graph wrong. It's more of a visual nuisance than anything.

18. Innovine

Innovine

What is 7.2.0?

19. bgolus

bgolus

Shader Graph version 7.2.0

You don't download the Shader Graph package directly, but rather it's updated along with whatever SRP you're using. So you need to update your URP or HDRP to 7.2.0 or better (URP doesn't have a "7.2.0" release, only 7.2.1, but that'll work too). You can do so through the Package Manager window in the editor. Note the fixed version of the URP may not be available for the version of the editor you're using. For example, URP 7.2.1 requires Unity 2020.1.

VoxellStudios and Innovine like this.
  20. VoxellStudios

VoxellStudios

URP 7.2.1 is now available in 2019.3.2.f1

21. gputhread

gputhread

http://sorumi.xyz/posts/unity-fur-shader/
    want to use this on 2019.3 hdrp, how to fix?

Output value 'vert_surface' is not completely initialized
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

22. ArtOfWarfare

ArtOfWarfare

Which version should we actually use? I see 6 different versions listed in Package Manager ranging from 7.1.7 to 8.0.1 and all of them say "Release Details (Current)".

23. zch1234qq

zch1234qq

it's absolutely the best answer that make people understand instantly.

24. disuperguy

disuperguy

when will they fix

25. disuperguy

disuperguy

ok I tried this in the 2020 version and its still not fixed, if anyone has got around this bug Tell Me please.

unityunity