Search Unity

Assets [Outdated thread] Map Magic

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Wright, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Vote for the plugin name:

Poll closed Feb 25, 2016.
  1. Map Magic

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Map Magic Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Magic: Map Editor

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Magic: Map Designer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Magic Editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Magic: Land Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Land Magic

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Terrain Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Level Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. MagicLand

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright

dlevel, something went wrong with your upgrade, I've opened scenes saved both externally and in-scene. Can you reproduce that issue?

2. malkere

malkere

@tryptic On the MapMagic GameOject it says Data and has a selector, and a "Release" button if you're using a file, otherwise it has a "Save" button. You should always be working with a save by the way *_* I make a new one every once in a while just in case.

3. tryptic

tryptic

Thanks yeah that's something I definitely do, the issue is in 5.6 the main Map Magic node script isn't loading, so none of the normal component fields are visible, like the one that points to that file. :)

4. tryptic

tryptic

Ok so our problem apparently had something to do with the API updater and source control that was causing the main Map Magic node not to load the script. It's all working now. I owe Denis a more detailed report, but suffice to say the problem was on our end.

malkere likes this.
  5. gegebel

gegebel

I can't use RTP with MapMagic anymore, I'm getting Profiler errors

6. malkere

malkere

They're just warning aren't they? You can add the profiler namespace to fix it I think. Can't give real advice if you don't share a picture or the error though.

7. SSL7

SSL7

Hello Guys, using MapMagic 1.8.0 beta ATM, also voxeland 5 beta but just tested that it works and not using it ATM. So my question is, is any way to make rivers and waterfalls like in World Creator in MapMagic? with some node based settings? I tried a good amount of time and nothing came out, Also I'm trying to make the world having some flat areas so i can have my villages but rarely i get smooth locations to put them so i have to smooth the terrain and manualy adjust it.

What I'm trying to do is having to transform the world manualy as little as possible, and having all stuff i need with nodes proceduraly generated, and afterwords create my villages etc. on it. For example I started using uNature (and thus the reason i moved to beta MapMagic) and if you make changes manualy on the transformation u cant work with uNature because it needs unpin/pin to get the new transformation and place vegetation.

any advice is welcomed. thank you.

malkere likes this.
  8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

@Wright I am on the latest version of MM and am going through the island video. I cannot seem to find the floor object for the trees...

Any help greatly appreciated.

mukki014 likes this.
  9. malkere

malkere

@pixelsteam Floor has since be implemented automatically. If you just ignore that part of the tutorial you will find the trees already position themselves on the terrain height.

@dlevel there is another more popular thread for MapMagic in which a custom generator for flattening was posted there:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/m...ite-game-map-tool.390920/page-22#post-2901297
    I haven't played with it myself. For rivers you're probably best off using EasyRoads, or at least that's how I plan to try and do it when I get the time to try... Or basically just start a point, find the surface normal, try to move down, try another step, smooth the line, and repeat. Makes sense... not that easiest thing to implement though. Could sell it for $$ if you put it on the asset store ;p

10. SSL7

SSL7

That would be awesome, I mean this guys generator, but he didnt posted it so cant get my hands on it :) but this is exactly what i need for the villages.

11. malkere

malkere

12. malkere

malkere

@pixelsteam what version Unity are you using?
    Does the node editor show up if you select the Map Magic GameObject while it is open?

13. The_Uber_Rasta

The_Uber_Rasta

Map magic is truly magic, just fantasmagorical. Thank you, Mr. Denis, for making it. So with that said what would make it even more awesome is if someone can set up a site or maybe just a dropbox or something where people can share their map recipes, like the node configuration with pictures that would be so cool.

14. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

Hello,

I believe I broke my map. I still have the desired terrain that I want, as you can see in the editor window - but my graph to create that is gone.

I think I screwed something up with the Data - I first saved it, then I hit store to assets in a later session and now my graph is gone. What should I do?

Attached Files:

15. malkere

malkere

@sbabb I think store to assets exports the data and clear it. you just need to reimport it from wherever you exported it, or link it up again to where you saved it before that.

16. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

@malkere Thanks! I ended up doing it again, but thanks to magicmap didn't take too long!

However, now I have an error where I can't add portals going in the 'in' direction, but cannot access them coming from the 'out' direction. Darn.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MapMagic.PopupMenu.DrawPopup (.MenuItem[] items, Vector2 pos, Boolean closeAllOther, Boolean sort) (at Assets/MapMagic/Editor/PopupMenu.cs:87)

Any thoughts? Thanks, all!

17. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

Is it possible to combine 4 biomes together? I've done it with three based on this:

But I'd like to add one more, but I'm not sure how I'd blend them together...

Also, @Wright any chance the MapMagic editor will see some improvements with nodes? Copy/Paste or being able to insert a new node in between already connected nodes to create a new connection? Also drag off of a node and have the node selection menu pop out would be awesome as well. Just some thoughts. I really like using MapMagic, though. Really cool software!

Thanks!

Kronnect likes this.
  18. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

@Wright How would I go about added "town areas" or POIs to MapMagic terrain?

I am using a modified node of the Island, swapped out the heightmap changed the textures and other modifications.

I want to smooth certain parts in the terrain so that I can actually place a town or other locations on a spot. Right now it's too bumpy as is.

Edit: My bad, meant to use the other thread lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  19. twodave

twodave

Hi @Wright :)

Are there any plans to extend the generation types to include 3D noise sources, ie simplex with three dimensions? I'm interested in having the voxeland output accept 3D noise for placement of blocks in a layer, but before I try to embark on that myself, wanted to check if you had any plans for it.

I was probably going to add a new Inout type which handled Matrix3 data, and extend the voxeland output side with a new absolute-3d mode which accepted the full 3D data. It would allow volumes of block types to be created, absolute layer type doesn't quite do it as it really ends up with only one layer of variable thickness, not overlapping multiple volumes.

Thanks!

20. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

@Wright

Would the best way to randomize biomes instead of doing it via the gradient be to utilize different heights? So, for instance, if I want my jungles to be in the lowest areas, badlands/desert above that, mountains above that, and snowtops above that, would the best way to be a voronoi or something similar? How would you do it this way, so that it doesn't rely on north/south but height?

EDIT: I was able to blend two together very well (jungle and mountains) using a simple curve/invert limitation (jungle below the line, mountains above), but I was wondering if there is a more complex way to do this. So, basically four heights versus two.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  21. malkere

malkere

22. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Alert: n00b question but .. is there a way to export heightmap from witin MM ? Like to a 2D Texture

23. SSL7

SSL7

Any news on the roads and rivers? :D

24. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, I am really interested in this asset, I have couple of questions..

1. Does it support multiple terrains ( terrain grids ) ?
    2. Does it convert final multiple terrains to normal mesh without any lose ends ? ( Since I develop games mobile platforms, mesh performs better than terrains )

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Happy to share some tests between MapMagic and the new Volumetric Fog & Mist 8 to add infinite cloud layers and thick fog (to conceal the terrain chunks popping-up). Support for alphatest trees, billboards and particles has been improved as well in this new major release.

MapMagic is a wonderful and impressive tool in terms of performance, allowing real-time generation with very low performance hit. Check out this video:

To create this video, I just used one of the demos provided, adding Volumetric Fog & Mist and Beautify for some additional FX. Cheers!

protopop and mukki014 like this.
  26. Wright

Wright

Thanks for testing MM with Volumetric Fog & Mist 8 and for the great video! Could you post it in this thread? It's more alive and placed in a proper forum section.

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Done. Didn't realize this was the WIP thread :)

mukki014 likes this.
  28. mukki014

mukki014

Hi Wright. your map magic is awesome now i can create infinite randomly generated terrain because of you. Every previous bugs and problem has been solved since i start using v1.7. but now I'm having other problem with generating biomes. How do you create or save existing map magic assest? when i use your demo assest everything work fines. but when i replace your data with mine then only stones are showing and two or three trees only. why is this happening ? is any problem with my assest? i wanna create a biome with one sided winter and other side summer. is it possible ? i also scene your tutorial about biome on Youtube.
    Thank you

29. mukki014

mukki014

Hi Wright. I'm experiencing border changes after i move across my pinned terrain. They look so flat and on other side border of pinned terrain look like a giant wall. Well I'm using a 4k height map but I change resolution to 1k in general settings and also I change terrain size to 4k with 800m height.
    So my question is why I'm getting noticeable border change ? Or do I need to scale my pinned terrain like you did in your demo video ?

30. malkere

malkere

31. mukki014

mukki014

what is your fog setting ? when i try to use it i dont get the desired effect.

32. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

In that video I configured Volumetric Fog & Mist so it uses a distance based fog (just the script added to the camera with the proper settings so the fog starts at certain distance and covers some height) and also added 2 layers of scattered noise on top using the new Fog Areas. Also configured those fog areas to follow the camera so they become infinite cloud layers.

Note that this is a MapMagic thread, so please for future enquiries use our contact email support OR our forum. Send me your invoice number and I'll gladly send you the project used in the demo video.

Cheers!

mukki014 likes this.
  33. mukki014

mukki014

hey new version after 1.3 floor generator is not available because you dont need it you can simply place objects. as you can see in the pic everything work without it.

Attached Files:

34. Zymes

Zymes

This asset seems amazing for creation first person game worlds.

But how well would it work when creating a strategy game map, for example like in Civilization? These maps are mostly very flat, with some small hills and mountains. The features you need is island generation, continents, rivers, small mountains, flat lands (grass/desert fields) in a natural way.

What I would like is to be able, in runtime, to import or generate a heightmap, made it pretty wide like a world map and then apply the grid system.

Can you do this without having to manually create the map every time?

MoribitoMT likes this.
  35. SSL7

SSL7

@Zymes well you import your heightmap and you can input the height of your map that you want, so I guess is possible.

36. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Is it possible to position a terrain at -2 value or more and have all connecting terrains also sitting at this height? The reason I ask is because I wish to have the player begin a scene at coordinates 0,0,0 Allowing for the height of the FP controller and an object it is standing on makes it higher. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  37. Wright

Wright

You can create a set of different biomes with different terrain types, like mountains, plains, desert, hills, etc. And then you can blend them using masks. This way each mask will have grid-like look with appropriate cells filled with white.

Sure, you can move a MapMagic object down 2 units. The terrains are generated in local MapMagic object coordinates.

PS: I suggest moving to the main MM forum thread since this one is located in a w.i.p. section and was created when MM was under development. I don't check it quite often nowadays.

38. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Does MapMagic has the ability convert final terrains to meshes ( after all editing done ) so they can be work more efficent on mobile devices ? Even more convert to mesh ( keep copy of original terrains and restore later for more editing.. etc.. ) If the answer is NO, do you have future plans to add these features, which can be very handy and useful for vast majority of developers.

Regards.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  39. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Running into issues with MapMagic cave generation causeing the terrain to have holes in it that the player falls through.
    upload_2017-12-1_21-18-14.png
    Any ideas?

umcherrel likes this.
  40. calebc01

calebc01

Is it possible to enable infinite terrain generation in on direction only?

I'm working on a game in which the user flies down a canyon, in more or less a straight line the entire time. Generating tiles in all directions is wasteful, since I only need generation along the world Z axis, not the X axis.

41. malkere

malkere

you could set up several child transforms to your camera on the z axis and have MM generate around those objects on a low threshold. If your terrains are 512 for example set make 10 spheres with their renderer/colliders turned off and move them 200m apart on your z axis. set MM to generate around them with only a range of 150 and you should get a straight line of terrains.

42. calebc01

calebc01

That works! Great idea, thank you!

malkere likes this.
  43. boysenberry

boysenberry

I am curious about how the graph data is saved. I understand how to Save as Copy, but how does it save? Is it saved as the scene gets saved? I ask because I had Unity crash on me causing me to lose a bit of work I did in the MapMagic graph I was working in.

44. MTDues

MTDues

ccan i make mapmagic random generate some areas i would like to make them as cave areas in the generated terrain seperated by long various distance ?

45. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Why am I getting the warning: "The tree TallSingleA must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader. Otherwise billboarding/lighting will not work correctly." I'm using Unity 2017.3

46. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

After a long time, i play withoud mapmagic to create some terrains and i have few questions about it.

1. How it is possible to create more flat surfaces(with few noice) around a mountain any parameter looks every the same with more hills and mountains or less

2. How can I demarcate a terrain if I only plan terrains with a size of 4-6km? one chance is to make a island but when i create somewone they are little and small

47. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I like how he did this on the one demo video where he took a raw heightmap file and used it as in input and then built noise on top of it. It looked to give not only nice features to the large and small island from the heightmap, but also added noise to the sea floor surrounding them.

I want to explore this a bit more with the demo before purchasing to make sure it is going to work the way I hope. But from the looks of the video, it should and I would think that would probably be the best way to do what you are looking to achieve.

48. kepesh

kepesh

Hi,

I'm currently using TC2 but this object spawning system makes me wanna switch to mapmagic.
    However, I have two questions:
    Does mapmagic support mesh masks? In TC2 there's a feature where you can get a mask of each mesh on a layer and match their height with the terrain or only spawn certain objects.

Is it possible to have the objects match the angle of the terrain? And randomized Y rotation before it's matched to the angle of the terrain?

Thanks!

49. Gunhi

Gunhi

Some questions be fore buying please.
    - How this work on mobile devices?
    - Can I change some variables like noise, textures at runtime. (I don't want to load the Terrain exactly the same every time users get in the level)

50. cowtrix

cowtrix

Hey there @Wright, just a quick bug report for your GUI code:

Layout.cs, ~ line 682, where we draw a field for a Texture2D. You check if the object is null with `if(srcObj == null)`. This is unfortunately an insufficient null check for UnityEngine.Object, due to the nature of null evaluation of these objects (that is, UnityEngine.Object can evaluate to null when System.Object does not). This is causing a null reference in a custom generator I have, as it fails to detect that the texture does not represent a valid object.

Could you please replace that null check with `if(srcObj == null || srcObj.Equals(null))`? This resolves the issue.

Also, tangential issue: Creating and destroying MapMagic objects in the scene leaves floating GeneratorsAsset scriptable objects in the scene. This can cause bloat over time as these objects afaik are never destroyed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.