Search Unity

Assets [Outdated thread] Map Magic

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Wright, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Vote for the plugin name:

Poll closed Feb 25, 2016.
  1. Map Magic

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Map Magic Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Magic: Map Editor

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Magic: Map Designer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Magic Editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Magic: Land Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Land Magic

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Terrain Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Level Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. MagicLand

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright

How big is your map? Could you please send me the full error text and a scene that causes it?

Crossway likes this.
  2. Crossway

Crossway

Thanks, I didn't see that error again! if I get error again I'll send example project.

3. SSL7

SSL7

I kinda starting to get it now. Let me ask you, every change i make on a pin, when i unpin it i lose it? for example if i put something without a generator? maybe an enemy for example.

Also, i m thinking to buy voxeland, i can use it on already created worlds with mapmagic? also in another post you say that we have to upgrade both voxeland and mapmagic, i see the last version of voxeland in store is very old (oct 2015, version 4.32) is that the latest or i see the wrong asset? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9180

thank you

4. SSL7

SSL7

Sorry for double post it doesn't let me edit, i got a question, i m trying biomes and i get this separation line

i saw the video of the upcoming normalize generator, is that what it fixes? also i saw in the same video that you use 1 of the 3 biomes as a "background" as you said, so what is the right way to make a 3-4 biomes map? i have the same RAW node and image in all my biomes, i use the method you have in your video to separate them. Is there an other better way to have that?

5. WinterT101

WinterT101

Forgive me if this has been answered to before but can your asset be applied to the mesh of an object? For example a sphere to create a procedural planet.

6. Wright

Wright

If you assign your enemy transform as a child of the terrain - it will be removed on unpinning. But if if the transform will be stored in a scene root it will not be removed or any other way changed by MM.

It's hard to say for sure without seeng the graph, but it seems that the biome masks sum is less than 1. The Normalize generator should fix it, but it's not the only cure. If you are using 2 biomes you can use Invert as well (to assign the same inverted map to the second biome).

Nope. MMWG uses the standard terrains as a terrain engine, and there is no way to create planets using them.

7. SSL7

SSL7

Ok thank you for your reply, Just to clarify, i put the RAW image in every biome ? ( the same heightmap ). Or can i have different RAW images? What i m trying to achieve is in the same RAW Image that i have created, to have different textures etc (biomes). And what is the use of the "background" that you use in your video? (the badlands biome is in a constant generator)

Any ETA for the normalise generator and Voxeland update?

Edit: Also what is the way to add navmesh on the disabled tiles?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. wightwhale

wightwhale

I'm getting the following error when I try and make a build on PS4. Any idea what is causing the issue?

[C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Graphics/Texture2D.cpp line 349]
    (Filename: C Line: 0)

Texture is not accessible.
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:set_detailPrototypes(TerrainData*, DetailPrototype[])
    MapMagic.<Apply>c__IteratorCF:MoveNext() (at C:\Users\KING WILLIE\Perforce\Wille_Wight_DESKTOP-M1Q3SPR_1094\Crow Unity Project\Assets\MapMagic\Generators\OutputGenerators.cs:1272)
    MapMagic.<ApplyRoutine>c__IteratorD2:MoveNext() (at C:\Users\KING WILLIE\Perforce\Wille_Wight_DESKTOP-M1Q3SPR_1094\Crow Unity Project\Assets\MapMagic\Scripts\Chunk.cs:250)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

9. wightwhale

wightwhale

Never mind I had to change the texture read write access.

10. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

When do you expect to implement the Normalize Generator?

11. Crossway

Crossway

I've seen your tutorial that you moves ram map height on all tiles! I can't do the same I just can move on the first tile and it's not going pass other tiles.

12. WinterT101

WinterT101

Thank you for letting me know. I think I may have found a way around this however. If I create my terrain using MapMagic, export the terrain as .Obj, make the bend/curved look desired then re-import it as a mesh I think it would work. I honestly don't know if everything else would export with the Terrain (trees, rocks, etc) so maybe this is a dead end or I'd have to manually reintroduce those aspects or find another separate procedural generator that can populate on a mesh, but I think I'll test it out to see.

13. neoshaman

neoshaman

You will have problem at the pole, basically the best bet is to use inflated cube method to translate 6 square terrains into a planet, that mean that each corner of the cube will be a pole, that will complicate transition and matching!

Mapmagick is a 2d map generator, you need to adapt the code to get planet generation, ie use 3d noise to avoid matching problem, which mean taking 3d position, and maybe outputting noise progressively for LOD into an array instead of terrain structure.

14. Wright

Wright

I plan to submit the new version in a couple of days, and it will be available after Unity review. It will take a week or so.

Crossway, have you turned the tiling on and set the size more than 1? Could you please make a screen of the RAW Input node and the terrain result?

WinterT101, I guess I've seen a ready solution for that somewhere in the Asset Store. I did not learn a lot about it, but it seems that it bends the world with a shaders. It was called Curved World or something.

15. wetfiregames

wetfiregames

Wondering if you had started implementing spline support and a spline-to-mesh to start testing of roads and rivers generation.

16. Wright

Wright

v1.6 is out. Here is what it brings:
    • RTP support - with the additional plugin that could be downloaded here. Note that the plugin is still in beta version and has some minor drawbacks (mainly with preview). To use it unzip anywhere inside Assets folder, create RTP Output generator and follow instructions. I recommend you use the plugin with scenes with no RTP components assigned to let the RTP Output set up everything right automatically.
    • Terrain Remove Distance now is not equal to the Generate Distance. This helps to avoid a lag in case player wants to return back to the terrains he left - it will not make the terrains re-generate unless they leave the Remove Distance.
    • Map Normalize generator to create layered effect similar to the Texture Output;
    • Separate RAW Input data asset to improve serialization speed. This will remove the lag on loading big RAW images, but note that you will need to store the RAW Input generator data as a separate asset;
    • New Scatter algorithms: objects could be scattered using square or hexagonal cells - in addition to the true random scatter. This can create fast and uniform results, especially when working with high objects quantity;
    • Fixes: Stamp aliased effect, Height Output scale;
    Wieljer, not yet. Firstly I'm going to integrate it with Voxeland. I'd like to say that implementing splines is really a fascinating task, and I can't wait to start it, but I have to make so awaited Voxeland support first.

antoripa, wetfiregames and docsavage like this.
  17. magicbananna

magicbananna

Hey just updated today and im getting an error:

Assets/MapMagic/Main/ProceduralDataHolder.cs(8,19): error CS0426: The nested type `Chunk' does not exist in the type `MapMagic.MapMagic'

any ideas before I start ripping the code to bits?

18. Wright

Wright

Have you tried performing a clean install, with the removing of the old MM version?

19. Rastar

Rastar

Hi there,

using the new 1.6, and the "Pin terrain" button doesn't seem to work for me - nothing happens, no outline of the new terrain in the scene view etc. Is it me or the new release?

20. magicbananna

magicbananna

After I reinstall. It seems that ProceduralDataHolder script is missing and it is giving me this error now
    Assets/MapMagic/Main/Generator.cs(391,36): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

21. Wright

Wright

Just to inform this thread readers:
    So MMWG is not compatible with Unity Beta 5.5 B6 (B5 should be okay).
    There is a quick fix, though: add "using UnityEngine.Profiling" as a first line in Chunk.cs, Generator.cs and MapMagicWindow.cs.

Is it an error text that stating that? Off the bat, I can't recall what this script is about.

Rastar, are you using MacOS? Were you been able to pin terrains with 1.5 (in case you have used it)?

22. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I need help to spawn point of interess like a small village. Can you address me ? Any example ?

23. SSL7

SSL7

How navmesh works with mapmagic? if i disable a pin when it spawns in real time it has the navmesh created? how do you handle it?

pixelsteam likes this.
  24. SammmZ

SammmZ

I think about this task too and I thought it could be done with custom generator.

Of course it can be done with combining a "simple form" cylinder (for example) and scatter with a low value, but it's not very precise

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    antoripa likes this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

There are tools that can do very very well.

26. antoripa

antoripa

NavMesh does not work in real time. It is Unity limitation.

27. Belrick

Belrick

Hi, having issues getting the tool to function as desired.
    Starting with the island tutorial as a learning guide i have tried and failed to do the following

1. Add additional stone objects. I add them to the Stone01lod output, put in a split and... either get no stones at all? Or just one stone type which is effected by the ordering of the split. Inconsistent behavior.

2. Add ground cover to the forests. I add a propagate tool thinking that at each tree scatter point it will create fern objects. Nope. either i get ferns growing out of the tree trunks (like the distance isnt working) or i get like one group no way near the forest.

If i simply add ferns to the tree output for the forest... the other trees are replaced with all ferns! altering the order means all trees no ferns.

Weird and frustrating. Ver16

28. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    any news about road/river creation ? Even in "static" terrain ...Thanks

29. DarkXess

DarkXess

Just a question, can I use my own terrain heightmaps etc to then use in MapMagic instead of generated ones by MapMagic itself? also once the terrain is done with MapMagic, what options do I have to edit it to make my own adjustments such as caves, rivers, higher/lower hills & mountains, etc.

RTP is now supported right? so tunnels and caves are doable but only by using RTP?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I am looking at buying this on payday, but I need to know if the terrains can be exported/converted as standard terrains and used with World Streamer?

31. malkere

malkere

RTp support is still a little lacking in my experience, it's absolutely possible to use it though of course. And so yes tunnelling will work.

You can import custom heightmaps as well. Once you are done with the heightmap you can turn off heightmap output and it will never touch your heightmap again, or just remove MapMagic from your terrains altogether and edit them however you like. The math used for calculating splatmap and stuff are usually using the heightmap math, so it'd be good to get as much done as possible before you go into manual editting. You know what I mean?

they are standard terrains at all times. MapMagic is tool to alter/create standard terrains. You can add/remove MapMagic to a scene/terrain at any time.

DarkXess likes this.
  32. DarkXess

DarkXess

Yes mate understood, and thanks for the reply and for giving me help on how to do such :)

33. malkere

malkere

I've been programming the past few weeks, but I'm getting back into MapMagic today/tomorrow... Running with some thoughts.

I want to use biomes because they sound great, as opposed to just working in layered biomes in one instance of MapMagic... The problem I'm most fighting with right now is that my terrains are 4000 height, some parts being big mountains. This means that when the desert biome wants to butt in, you can get really steep drops clearly cutting out the biomes, rather than a nice blend.

I'm wondering if I can work out a way to only load biomes into a certain height range. For example, give mountains priority, but make 75% of the land not mountains. Then only use that 75% at a base to insert desert biomes into.... I can think of some other fun applications for this... going to try it out...

34. mprivat

mprivat

Has anyone had any success making MapMagic generated terrains work with EasyRoads 3D v3? It works fine with regular terrain but for some reason I'm completely unable to add road markers on the terrains MapMagic generates.
    I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

35. mprivat

mprivat

Argh, I just realized that the solution is to lock the terrain in Map Magic when I'm done generating, then the other tools work just fine.

36. robbiew

robbiew

Are there tutorial/instructions on how to take Map Magic terrains that I have modified (with an asset like EasyRoads3D) or using Unity's terrain tools -- and set that as the seed so going forward the changes aren't destroyed, but can still be effected (e.g. not locking the terrain)?

37. malkere

malkere

the seed is a just a number that gets used to randomize any noise used on the graph. It will destroy any heightmap changes if you regenerate the heightmap, any tree changes if you regenerate the trees, etc. You can turn those off selectively though, so if you haven't changed the height around your borders, other terrains can still be generated to match properly up with them, etc.

MapMagic, or Gaia, or TerrainComposer cannot recognize any changes you've made outside of their tools though and will write right over them if you're not careful. You could write a script to save changes though =o

robbiew likes this.
  38. Richard-_K

Richard-_K

Hi All,
    I am having trouble with the "Pin Terrain" mode since MM 1.7. When clicking in the editor to the right of my terrain instead of creating terrains 1,1; 1,2; 1,3 etc MM creates terrain 1,13; 3,13; 4,13 etc. See screensnap.

Any suggestions of how to fix?

thanks,
    Richard.

PS Unity 5.4.1f.1; macOS Sierra

39. robbiew

robbiew

Question about using RTP with Map Magic: How do I change layer order?

The plugin says to "change the layer order use the Relief Terrain Component" -- but I don't see anywhere in RTP to change the order. Basically, my background texture (e.g. grass) just covers everything.

I've messed around with Coverage > Compose Splats order, but not no avail.

thank you!

40. malkere

malkere

Have you changed any scripts? Is your MapMagic GameObject at 0,0,0? What's you terrain size?

That's really weird, I'm just grabbing for extra info to try and figure it out.

41. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

Hi, im working with the stamp generator to put a texture under some objects and i see thats only works in the 0,0 terrain.

Attached Files:

42. totallylegitunicorn

totallylegitunicorn

43. Crossway

Crossway

Hi Wright.
    My maps is really big and because of that I set resolution to 4096 but it's really slow to process, is there a way to make process faster?

Also I think there is a bug! when resolution is 4096 textures doesn't work at all, it will cover map only with base texture. but when I back to 2048 textures works again. please help thanks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  44. malkere

malkere

4096x4096 is 16,777,216
    I don't think Unity is built to handle that giant of a single landscape properly... maybe though. Why not use a few split up?

Crossway likes this.
  45. Crossway

Crossway

Why not? I have 25 tiled terrains and each of them is 20,000 on size. still I can play my game with 60 fps.
    But the only big problem I have Map Magic texturing doesn't work when resolution is 4096.

46. malkere

malkere

*_* I'd love to see a screen shot of that. Surely you don't mean 25 active terrains 20,000 each? floating points errors pop up 20,000 in any direction in my experience...?

I generate procedurally so near-infinite, but in 1,000 unit chunks at 512 res. I usually have 25 active full of trees and rocks and grass and stuff that make culling and optimization super important =o

47. SSL7

SSL7

What is the best way to "import" an already made terrain/village to a map magic generated world?

48. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

I've added the RTP plugin, and it's working fine except that I can't paint into the texture or grass splatmaps any more. Anyone else come across this?

49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can someone please tell me how i can export a terrain made with map magic to another project for someone who has not map magic with all textures, grass and such?

Make a prefab out of the terrain and export it as a package does not work.

Map magic by the way works great :)

50. SSL7

SSL7

I would really like an answer on this if possible @Wright . I had some scenes created by a level designer before starting with Map Magic and i would really like to include them to my Map Magic world. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.