Search Unity

Outdated Create with VR Course Materials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by tacman1123, Sep 17, 2021.

1. tacman1123

tacman1123

It appears that the zip file for the Create with VR project is outdated. The URP is locked in at 10.3.2, which is no longer available. So when trying to load the project, it locks up with no obvious solution.

The solution, of course, is to go to package manager and update to URP 10.6. I've set the Render Pipeline in Project Settings, but then when I import a room it's still pink.

So Edit | Render Pipeline | URP | Update Project Materials, and I get:

LiberationSans SDF - Outline material was not upgraded. There's no upgrader to convert TextMeshPro/Mobile/Distance Field shader to selected pipeline
    UnityEditor.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader:UpgradeProjectMaterials () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.6.0/Editor/UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader.cs:25)

This looks like a great course, but I feel like I'm stuck at the starting gate. Am I doing something wrong? Is the course project available on github? Seems like it'd be much easier to maintain there.

2. tacman1123

tacman1123

Anyone know how to get hold of the 2 authors of the course? I can't imagine that they've put all this time into creating something that is already outdated. I can't figure out how to update it, but I'm guessing either of them could do it in less than 15 minutes.

3. tacman1123

tacman1123

Maybe this can be useful to someone else, this worked for me on Sept 18, 2021

* Download the course materials. Don't open the project
    * navigate to Packages
    * Delete packages-lock.json
    * Edit manifest.json, and change the urp to:

"com.unity.render-pipelines.universal": "10.6.0",

(or whatever the current version is).

You can also update to the latest interaction toolkit:

"com.unity.xr.interaction.toolkit": "1.0.0-pre.6",

(or whatever the current version is).

* Now open the project.

Waaaaay too much work for something that would be trivial for Unity to fix (it's THEIR course! Not some third party!).

But the course looks great, and now that I have it working I'm looking forward to diving in.

Tac